Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 10, 2024, 06:52:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this what growing up feels like?  (Read 416 times)
Ziggiddy
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married 10 years

« on: December 31, 2014, 01:19:37 AM »

I had this internal shift.

I was reading about these people whose parents had treated them really badly and I was feeling sorry for them - also surprised that they could possible think it's their own fault. And it twanged with me that that is exactly how I should feel myself but don't.

And then this sudden quiet. The clamour of grief and blame and yelling and insulting and defensiveness and futile explanations and pointless reasonings all stopped.

I was quite struck by this one single solitary idea.

It's all over.

My childhood is all over.

There's a pain in acknowledging that I can't go back and fix it and a sadness in understanding that the things I was ripped off in I will always remain ripped off in but at the same time a real sense of safety in knowing I will never ever be a vulnerable child who lacks insight and understanding again.

I had this sense of disorientation like I suddenly became a giant by eating a mushroom like Alice In Wonderland! I wonder if it's a physical reaction to feeling like I had suddenly grown up.

I am confused by it.

It's painful like adolescence but relieving like getting the keys to the door.

Is this what's supposed to happen?

How do you know if you've become a grown up?

Do people in healthy households have this sensation when they are teenaged? Or is it unrelated to chronological order?

I don't know whether to be thrilled or to despair.

I want to cry for all those lost opportunities - it really wrenches my heart - like that boy who had a crush on me and I never knew although I was completely smitten with. that'll never come to fruition.

Or those girls who beat me up because they didn't 'get' my clothes. I'll never have a chance to show them what a success I made of my life.

On the other hand my parents will never EVER hit me with a belt again.

Very disorienting.

I feel deprived of power but dizzy with it at the same time.

BuildingFromScratch

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 02:26:52 AM »

Sounds more like Mario Brothers. You've got fireballs now!

Anyways on a more serious note, I think you've reached a point of acceptance. Acceptance is the most powerful thing there really is. What a beautiful thing to give up all that outrage and bitterness. What a beautiful thing to empathize with yourself and to give up on clamoring for everything you never got. I'm sorry you were abused. It's very inspiring to see others become strong, like you. It gives me hope that I can heal from all of my pain, thank you.
Crumbling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 06:29:15 AM »

, Hi, Zig.

Sounds like you had a profound shift, good for you.  I  agree with Building, it's so beautiful to read!  Inspirational.

Some schools of thought would say your inner child is healing.  You 'told' her with your thoughts that she doesn't have to blame herself for the bad times from your childhood, and she accepted it and felt peace, and for adult you, everything went quiet.  What I like about this thinking is that it gives you the chance to begin to recognize that when you feel vulnerable and scared, this child-state has a guardian, called Adult You, who knows how and wants to help her feel safe and secure and loved. And will do what needs to be done to make it so.    It makes going through the bad times of today a little easier.

Thanks for sharing your breakthrough with such insight!

c.

Ziggiddy
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married 10 years

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 11:52:36 PM »

Thank you Crumbling - I appreciate your words there.

And thanks for reminding me about the inner child. It's easier to deal in the third person for some reason. I can protect others fiercely and with very little fear of retribution but myself ... well that's another matter.

Buildingfromscratch. Acceptance? huh. it is isn't it? i did not see that.  Hooray! I made some acceptances!

FIREBALLS! Now you're talking!

PS thank you for what you said about being inspired. I am terrified when i post. I also feel like I am being attention-seeking and acting like a victim. Usually get to thinking "Oh no, someone will tell me it's all my fault, I should shape up, others have it worse" etc etc. It's a pleasant surprise not to get that.

Thank you

heartandwhole
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 02:35:26 AM »

Hi Ziggiddy,

Thank you for this inspirational post. It has reminded me to pay attention to the little girl inside who feels alone and unsupported. I can grieve the losses in my childhood now, accept them, and move on in life with a greater connection to myself and others.

My challenge has been to stay focused on that little one inside; she can be so quiet and doesn't demand attention... .

I am sorry that you had to go through that pain when you were a child, that is so hard.  What a wonderful realization you have had, and a chance to mourn for what wasn't, while opening up to wisdom and what can be now and in the future. Thank you!

heartandwhole   

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
heartandwhole
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 02:36:18 AM »

Hi Ziggiddy,

Thank you for this inspirational post. It has reminded me to pay attention to the little girl inside who feels alone and unsupported. I can grieve the losses in my childhood now, accept them, and move on in life with a greater connection to myself and others.

My challenge has been to stay focused on that little one inside; she can be so quiet and doesn't demand attention... .

I am sorry that you had to go through that pain when you were a child, that is so hard.  What a wonderful realization you have had, and a chance to mourn for what wasn't, while opening up to wisdom and what can be, now and in the future. Thank you!

heartandwhole  

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest