Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 06:19:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Our abuse recovery guide
Survivor to Thriver | Free download.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stalemate  (Read 360 times)
Change2014

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: January 18, 2015, 11:02:12 PM »

I am at a stalemate with my uBPD mother, my uBPD sister, and my Dad who has narcisistic traits.  I have kind of taken a firm boundary position with them all.  I haven't gone NC, but if someone crosses the boundary I immediately address it, whether it is asking them to leave, getting off the phone, or whatever.  As a result, I feel like the black sheep of the family and have literally no real relationship with any of them right now.  As a result, I feel very alone.  I am just feeling a little down in the dumps right now about it, because I could use some support in general.  Most people turn to their family, and I guess people in our situation can't really get that support.  And sometimes I wonder if my expectations of "support" are unrealistic because I was so enmeshed with my mom growing up.  Like maybe I want a closeness that just is not practical.  Anyway, this post is more of a vent, than seeking advice.  I guess I am at the point where I feel like, do I just wave the white flag, is that easier, or do I keep at this boundary stuff.  I don't want to lose the progress that I have made.  Thanks for listening.   
Kwamina
Retired Staff

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 08:33:31 AM »

Hi Change2014,

How are you feeling now?

I guess I am at the point where I feel like, do I just wave the white flag, is that easier, or do I keep at this boundary stuff.  I don't want to lose the progress that I have made.

You were feeling alone and down when you wrote this post. Perhaps it's best to wait a few days before deciding whether to relax your boundaries. This will give you some time to regain your composure and distance yourself from the emotions you're feeling now.

I do think that the way you're feeling is probably quite normal since this whole situation that is developing after you set boundaries, is also quite new for you of course. It might take some time to reach a point that you're more comfortable with this new 'reality'. You were probably very used to the old situation, even-though you might not have liked that old situation. It was still familiar territory and this isn't.

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
Change2014

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 10:58:56 PM »

Thank you Kwamina for the words of encouragement.  I was definitely having a down day and some perspective helped.  You are right, this is very unfamiliar territory.  Not being on at some kind of speaking terms with my entire family is very different.  I am sticking to my guns and keeping my boundaries.  I guess I wasn't prepared for the consequences, such as my family cutting me off.  I am sure it is just a stage with them, but I know that I need to stay strong to my boundaries. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest