Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 06:28:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newly out of Relationship with BPD Partner  (Read 399 times)
GBLAW

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: February 03, 2015, 03:18:01 PM »

I am newly out of a four-year relationship with a BPD partner.  I have affirmatively decided to end the relationship, and I am six weeks out.  My BPD partner uses silence to and has relied on my co-dependence and good communication skills and desire to reach an understanding with others (used in my profession) to keep me in.  I ended it after 2 weeks of silence from him with an email stating affirmatively that it was over.  (No "come to your senses" or "teach you a lesson" language this time around).  However, he has not acknowledged that or communicated with me in anyway in the four weeks since then.  I am trying to keep myself in a place of "not wondering" (how he felt, where he is, whether he is suicidal again, etc.).   But I find the silence to be tricky for me.  I have so far resisted the urge to reach out recognizing that this is our pattern.    I find the silence entries on this site, recognizing it as a form of verbal abuse and a BPD tactic to be very helpful.  But I am wondering if others have dealt with silence at the end and what to expect.  What I expect now is that he will eventually try to re-engage, and although I am committed to the end, I do worry about him contacting me.  Social media and phone are blocked, but not email.  
Wood stock

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »

So far, my BPD has not learned how to just shut hiis mouth. One of the only traits he he doesn't have... .silence would be deafening. I feel for you. But in a way, it's a god send. I totally understand your worry, though. My ex fiancée commmitted suicide. I get it. But... .consider the silence a god send. Embrace it. And don't feel guilty... .about anything. You did your best--take care of you. Enjoy the peace. His choice. Take care of you.
HappyNihilist

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 09:29:00 PM »

Hi, GBLAW, and welcome! I'm sorry about your situation - these relationships and breakups are intense and painful. 

I'd like to echo what Wood stock said: don't feel guilty about anything.  You have to take care of yourself, just like he is responsible for himself.

It's good that you're recognizing the patterns of the relationship. This is a dysfunctional dance, and stepping out allows us the distance necessary to see it more clearly.

Sometimes people with (pw) BPD don't try to re-engage, but the majority appear to do so. In my case, my exBPDbf pops back up on my radar about every 6-8 weeks or so, communicates for a few days at the most, and then vanishes back into the ether.

What is it about the idea of him contacting you that worries you?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest