Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 29, 2024, 05:47:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 23.5 years and still miserable (but hopeful)  (Read 394 times)
Proverbs27:15

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: March 05, 2015, 04:01:37 PM »

23.5 years and still miserable (but hopeful)!  tired of being drawn into senseless arguments, being accused of saying things I did not say or doing things I did not do, walking on eggshells, and having no friends because my SO becomes extremely jealous and has intense abandonment and control issues. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Looking for tools to stop reacting in ways that keep me on the treadmill of misery.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Loosestrife

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 04:10:58 PM »

What keeps you in the relationship?
tjay933

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 04:13:32 PM »

Welcome Smiling (click to insert in post)

Thought I replied to this one but obviously I didn't.

There are lots of people here that have been where you are and we are great listeners if that's all you want or will try to help as best we can. there are lessons here as well that help us to understand ourselves and how to deal with other people.

Welcome.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 04:44:04 PM »

Welcome Smiling (click to insert in post)

Thought I replied to this one but obviously I didn't.

There are lots of people here that have been where you are and we are great listeners if that's all you want or will try to help as best we can. there are lessons here as well that help us to understand ourselves and how to deal with other people.

Welcome.

Thanks.
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 04:59:49 PM »

Hi Proverbs27:15, 

Welcome aboard.  23.5 years is a very long time to be in a relationship. I am sorry that you are going through this.   I understand how coping with erratic, dramatic, and confusing behavior can make you miserable.    There are many of us here who have felt the same way.

Being hopeful and having a positive attitude is a great start to improving your relationship with your person with BPD (pwBPD).  The motto here on the staying board is, "before you can make anything better, you must stop making it worse." This motto has been the foundation of improving my relationship with my bf.  Prior to learning about BPD and ways us non-BPD partners can improve our relationship, my behavior and actions added fuel to the fire. This site has wonderful tools and people to help improve your relationship. Learning communication tools have made a drastic improvement in my relationship.  Here is a link to get you started.   Smiling (click to insert in post)

Communication tools (SET, PUVAS, DEARMAN)

You mentioned quite a few maladaptive behaviors, which ones are you having the hardest time coping with?

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 05:06:21 PM »

I don't know. In part, I don't want to hurt her; religious prohibitions regarding divorce; pride, i.e., not wanting to admit the marriage has failed; co-parenting an adult handicapped child; financial entanglements. Left once for 6 months. Was lured back. After about a week the my Kafkaesque nightmare resumed. Whenever the brief separation comes up I am told I left her though she put my clothes in garbage bags, set them out and told me to leave. The facts never matter. Only her feelings.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2014; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 05:17:12 PM »

I don't know. In part, I don't want to hurt her; religious prohibitions regarding divorce; pride, i.e., not wanting to admit the marriage has failed; co-parenting an adult handicapped child; financial entanglements. Left once for 6 months. Was lured back. After about a week the my Kafkaesque nightmare resumed. Whenever the brief separation comes up I am told I left her though she put my clothes in garbage bags, set them out and told me to leave. The facts never matter. Only her feelings.

Hello, Proverbs27:15, I'd like the join the others and say Welcome

These are all reasons to stay, and many of us can relate to staying for similar reasons. How old is your child, and does he or she live with you? I can certainly see how that would add to the stress, especially for a pwBPD (person with BPD) who suffers from emotional dysregulation.

What you said in the last is similar to what we say here, "feelings are facts" to a pwBPD.

The communication tools that EaglesJuJu are a good place to start learning perhaps trying a different approach. The lessons are at the top of the board and to the right in the side-bar--->

It can certainly be hurtful for someone to tell us we are horrible and to get lost, and then switch like a light and say the opposite, that they need us. It's understandable that you were lured back. You've been with her a long time.

Christine Ann Lawson, author of Understanding The Borderline Mother, says:

"Abuse from someone who claims to love you is qualitatively different than abuse from a stranger."

You can easily walk away from a stranger.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 05:55:27 PM »

Hi Proverbs27:15,  

Welcome aboard.  23.5 years is a very long time to be in a relationship. I am sorry that you are going through this.   I understand how coping with erratic, dramatic, and confusing behavior can make you miserable.    There are many of us here who have felt the same way.

Being hopeful and having a positive attitude is a great start to improving your relationship with your person with BPD (pwBPD).  The motto here on the staying board is, "before you can make anything better, you must stop making it worse." This motto has been the foundation of improving my relationship with my bf.  Prior to learning about BPD and ways us non-BPD partners can improve our relationship, my behavior and actions added fuel to the fire. This site has wonderful tools and people to help improve your relationship. Learning communication tools have made a drastic improvement in my relationship.  Here is a link to get you started.   Smiling (click to insert in post)

Communication tools (SET, PUVAS, DEARMAN)

You mentioned quite a few maladaptive behaviors, which ones are you having the hardest time coping with?

Wanting to prove that I'm right or point out that my SO is not being honest, fair or dealing with reality, facts or logic. I know it is pointless but I always fall into the same trap.
Wrongturn1

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 08:54:54 AM »

Bullet: comment directed to __ (click to insert in post) Proverbs27:15:  Welcome!  And that's a great handle you have there.  My other favorite BPD wife bible verse is Proverbs 21:9... .sometimes I feel like sleeping on the roof at home.   
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest