Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 10:52:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can birth trauma be an environmental trigger?  (Read 351 times)
Missp

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: May 23, 2015, 02:24:06 AM »

I have been putting together a (mental) list of possible environmental triggers of BPD.

My daughter showed traits of the disorder when she was very young, which is why I am exploring all possibilities.

She was a forceps delivery as she was slightly the wrong way facing, at birth.  I am small, with a narrow pelvis and she was a big baby.  The doctor had his foot braced on the end of the bed and was pulling on her head to get her out. I was certain she would be damaged. I felt relief when I looked at her expression, when I first held her because it seemed like we had dodged a bullet.

She was born with a slightly mis-shapen head and big red markings on her face, where the forceps had been.

Has anyone else wondered about this? Has any research ever been done about the incidence of BPD and birth trauma?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Daisy67

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 06:29:24 AM »

I also wonder about this sometimes. My son was a difficult forcep delivery and born with marks on his head.  What are the signs in childhood? One thing I remember is that he seemed to have nightmares, even at months old, his face would look petrified in his sleep and he would be sobbing in his sleep. I told my doctor at the time but he just laughed it off.
Missp

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 03:32:28 PM »

At nursery, my dd, at 3 or 4 had difficulties with a friendship triangle.  She told me, "My heart hurts."  This did not seem normal chat for a tot.  I took her out of the school and sent her to a Steiner school (she was happier there).  However, social difficulties have plagued her all through her childhood, peaking when I had to send her to her secondary school.  She once described how she  changed herself and tried to fit in with various different groups/cliques in school.  It was a tortutous description and the experience must have been unbearable for her.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 12:15:54 PM »

I haven't seen any research on this. I would have a lot of questions if they linked birth trauma to BPD or other mental illnesses. My son has some sensory processing issues (prevalent with people who are autistic and/or ADHD) that laypeople have tried to link to caesarean section. Except my son was not C section. He also has asthma, even though breastfeeding advocates say break milk eliminates allergies/asthma. Except my son was breast fed for a year.

Researchers would need to look at all forceps deliveries and follow them for years to see if any mental health issues arose. I'm willing to guess that there are a lot of forcep-delivered babies who do not have BPD or other mental health issues.

Going through the birth canal is a really intense thing! Even without forceps, a lot of babies born naturally have misshapen heads, and some of them have irregular shapes for up to a year, then end up fine  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest