Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
July 02, 2024, 03:42:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Domestic abuse by BPD spouse - any consequences?  (Read 516 times)
Safe

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: June 02, 2015, 06:14:38 PM »

I understand there are many cases of false allegations out there and feel for victims of false allegations.

However, I'd like to hear if people have called police for actual non-physical domestic abuse by a BPD spouse - verbal, emotional, throwing things, reckless driving as a way to control/punish, and what came out of it? Was the BPD spouse punished for the abusive behaviours in any way?

Like most spouses of pwBPD, I experienced a lot of abuse on a weekly basis, but did not call police because I was in FOG and didn't want to jeopardize my BPDH, and was under the impression that police won't do much unless it got physical, and calling police could escalate BPD behaviours... .

In the end, now that I have left but continue to be exploited by stbx BPDH financially (the most effective form of silent abuse), I see that he got away with murder... .

maxsterling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 01:53:52 PM »

My experience has been that the police will do nothing unless they actually witness it.  Even in the cases of physical abuse.  If they see the blood, broken objects, or witness the verbal abuse, they can do something.  Everything else is he said/she said, and will advise one of you to spend the night elsewhere.  My wife is a master manipulator of police.  Last time she was throwing and breaking dishes, and when the police came, she told them she "accidentally" broke a dish.  Police basically warned her,  but nothing they could legally do.   

Even a few weeks ago, they could not do much about her assault on me because I had no visible injuries (the bruises showed up the next day).   But they did take her to the hospital because of the drug overdose.  So in that case, they had authority to do something. 

ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 06:18:08 PM »

My ex made explicit death threats before and after I called the police.  She even grabbed the handset and hung up my 911 call.  I think I was almost carted off, but my preschooler shrieked and clung even tighter to me when they instructed me to hand him over to his mother and "step away" and so they just said "work it out" and left.  What kid won't go to his mother?  Ever since I've said he saved me that day.  Once I downloaded the recording when she was elsewhere, I called and had them come back.  The recording was used in court, she even admitted threatening me.  However the judge said there was no weapon in her hands, was not an "imminent" threat per case law and so found her not guilty.  So I asked my lawyer if she has the right now to make death threats with impunity as long as her hands are empty?

I think he made that ruling because (1) she wasn't a repeat offender, it was her first time and (2) of course she was female.  How could a man be a victim?  The case law was of another case where a guy came home drunk and told his wife that if he had a gun he's shoot her.  Well, he didn't have a gun and so she couldn't get a conviction.  Even my ADA remarked that my case wasn't the same as that 'conditional threat' referenced in case law.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest