Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 04:26:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think he almost hit me tonight...  (Read 730 times)
Ceruleanblue

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: August 09, 2015, 02:25:35 AM »

BPDh and I are going to have to have a serious talk tomorrow. He lost his cool tonight, and I think he almost hit me. It was the most scared I've ever been of him physically, even more so than the times he actually did grab me, and I'd end up with bruises.

Now, I wonder if this was why he was saying not long ago that he is scared of this. I think he is scared HE will hurt me. I think he just said he was afraid of me, because of projection? I don't think he thinks I'd hurt him, as I never have, and I don't even really defend myself. He does know I'm not the type to just forgive and let it go. He knows I'd press charges. In a sick way, it would almost assure he gets more serious help? I don't want it to happen, of course, but his DBT does not seem to be helping with his fast onset rage. Overall anger, yes, but he's been escalating lately.

He also mentioned that I should "just move out". More threats. I spent three years being threatened to divorce, move out, be done, but the threats have mostly stopped after we reconciled, until just recently. I don't want to move out, but I also am starting to be a little scared of him. Plus, I don't feel he has any need of me, or wants me. He just views me as someone who complains, when all I'm really trying to do is tell him how I feel(using I statements), and make things better. I'm trying to be a team, but he doesn't want to be.

We went to a family reunion of his today, and there were a lot of people I hadn't met, and he didn't introduce me once. We've addressed this in MC, so I know it's deliberate. He used to introduce me, but I think it's a power/control/disrespect thing. I'll just be standing there, next to him, and he acts as if I don't exist. I'll usually end up presenting my hand to the person, and giving my name, after he's had ample time, and it becomes obvious, and awkward that he doesn't.

How do I address this issue with him regarding that I fear he was going to hit me? I don't want to say or do the wrong thing... .and it feels to me like he's pushing me away.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Ceruleanblue

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 02:30:27 AM »

Oh, and when I say "team", I mean I'd like a little common courtesy. So not even your normal marriage team effort. What I mean is that I'd like to be informed when he makes plans, or maybe ask me first before he goes and makes plans that also involve ME. He acts like he's single, and he seems to have no manners anymore when it comes to me. He's just inconsiderate towards me. I'm always out of the loop, and half the time it's other family members of his who tell me what's going on. I find that very weird.
Daniell85

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 05:31:12 AM »

Oh that is so scary.

He almost hit you. What happened?
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 06:44:48 AM »

Sounds like he is provoking you into a decision to walk away. The anger maybe a frustration out of you not being provoked by his not so subtle exclusions from his life.

Maybe he wants to give up T, and he resents you for wanting him to continue

What would happen if you called his bluff?

If you don't action a serious boundary and continue to hope and wait, things stand a good chance or serious escalations. There are plenty of  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post)  about

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Ceruleanblue

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 10:25:25 AM »

I'm not sure that he wants to discontinue therapy, as he seems almost addicted to the attention he gets in therapy. He seems to LOVE therapy. He's going to three different therapists, after all, only one of which is our MC.

I think what he wants is for me to never "complain", as he calls it. How do you never address things your partner does that hurt or bother you? I'm careful how I present it, and I use "I" statements, and am always just looking for a way to make things better, but to him, it's "complaining" about things he does.

I do think he's pushing me away, and ignoring me for some reason. I'm not sure what that reason is though. He treats me like I'm invisible(unless he wants sex, or someone to do one of HIS activities with), yet he doesn't want to hear how this makes me feel.

I do need a serious boundary around his recent anger, but I'm just not sure how to do that? He has DBT tomorrow, and we also have MC, so maybe he can address it in DBT, and I can bring it up in MC? I'm getting a rather strong male bias though from our MC, even though I really, really like our T.

How do I set a boundary around his increasing anger? The last thing I want is to be hit. He seems to be teetering on the edge of controlling his aggressive anger.
Ceruleanblue

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 10:37:13 AM »

Oh, and another weird thing. He has always said to me, and did so again last night: "I don't know how to fix things". What does that mean? I always have a plan of action, or am using the tools I've learned here, or something I've read, to try to make a change in our relationship, yet HE seems to think his actions make no difference.

I'll tell him exactly what could make things better: him controlling his anger, introducing me to people(how hard is that?, plus we've addressed it in MC), try to "connect" more and zone out less.

Now, I realize he has some form of PD, almost certainly BPD or APD, and definitely he's NP, but COME ON. I'm not one of those women who make you guess what they want. I don't play games. I'm respectful to HIM, even when I'm upset at him. I can always be calm, and I've only lost my cool a few times total. So why can't he just understand that when you treat someone like crap so often, it RUINS things? What you think, you create. What you do, you live with the consequences of that!

I'll outright tell him what HE can do that will make me feel loved, because he always tells me he WANTS me to feel loved, but then he's too stubborn, defiant, or it just makes him feel controlled to do them. Now, it's even just being mannerly and "normal". He can't introduce me, and he leaves me to fend for myself at a huge event and I end up sitting alone, feeling awkward. Now, I know I could go strike up a conversation with someone, but I'm sick of having to do that. All I ask is that he doesn't totally ignore me at functions, and act like I'm even there!

I don't know. I don't know how this can change. If he told me things that he needed, I'd do it, if it wasn't a major boundary issue. Heck, I already do that! I work hard on meeting his needs, and they are many.

I have very few needs that he meets, because I get my needs met elsewhere by either myself or friends, but come on, now he's even acting like I'm invisible? He also did this at MY family reunion. He chose to sit elsewhere when we ate, he didn't come check in with me(I did him though), and my family who'd never met him, I'm sure didn't know he was my husband. When we first got there, I was introducing him to people, then he just took off.

I don't know what his issue is, but he's taken a real turn for WEIRD. Plus, his anger is back.
Daniell85

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 11:04:26 AM »

If he has NPD traits, he is probably punishing you for "making" him feel less than who he is "supposed" to be being.

Beyond that, it may be that you need to back off for a while, with the intent of allowing things to calm. Not that you are giving up on the marriage and him, but that you are taking a break to let him ponder things, and you are giving your own self a break from feeling like you have to do something to fix things. Because by trying to talk to him, even though you feel you are doing what YOU need to be doing, you trying to talk to him could be triggering him to feel enmeshed and overwhelmed. Hence his distancing himself from you, though he knows you find his actions hurtful.

It's a dishonest way of him communicating to you. As a BPD/ maybe ASP or NPD, it's the way he is choosing to handle things.

Sorry this is so tough. I am right there with you. It's so hard to just let go and accept sometimes for a period of time. It's hard. 

I have been working on my co dependent issues and abandonment issues to try and build up emotional stability. It is helping some. Have you also looked at your own abandonment issues in this situation? You say you are getting needs met elsewhere, but you also express a lot that he has left you on your own or is ignoring you. It's a really painful place to be and can trigger off a lot of effort ( non productive effort) to "fix" things so it doesn't happen.

Remember, you left your child for this man. That is a primary relationship that you set aside to be with someone who had abandoned you and came back. You yielded to his condition to leave your son behind for him. You say he insisted, but I don't see a lot of expression from you why you would take such an action. ie, the anxiety and fear of losing him overwhelmed your anxiety and fear of losing your son.

Just my own thoughts, but I really do see a ton of abandonment issues that you are dancing around. It's a serious thing, and you are exposing yourself to some very real danger in order to try and connect with this person who is clearly abusing you in some extreme ways.

Maybe it's time to turn your investigations and thoughts to yourself again and consider why?

No offense intended, truly I mean well to you. 
Ceruleanblue

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 11:32:48 AM »

I definitely have some fears of abandonment, and really wanted this marriage to work. I think my fear of abandonment mostly came about though due to his constant threats to leave. And now, he's actually left once, so I know he's capable of doing it again if triggered enough. He does lots of things impulsively.

I did choose my marriage, and my son seems happy living with my folks, but I still see this as a huge sacrifice that BPDh made me make. Had my son been younger, I'd have had no choice but to leave BPDh, and it was actually my son who told me to save my marriage. Even my son is more mature than BPDh, sadly.

I realize that trying to communicate with his doesn't work, but how are things to ever get any better if I can't communicate with him at all? His workers under him gave him poor ratings for failure to communicate, and it effected his yearly bonus. This is a huge issue with him. If it was up to him, he'd almost never talk to me. He'll talk a ton to everyone else, but he definitely ignores me on purpose.

I'm doing good getting most of my needs met, but yeah, it STINKS that my spouse doesn't meet ANY of them. Why am I with him then? What do I get out of this? I'm struggling to see why I essentially chose this man over my son? I thought things might continue to be good, but they've deescalated, and now I feel really alone. I feel he chose to isolate me from my family.

I'm trying very, very hard to not be codependent, or enmeshed, and so now, it just feels like we are living separate lives. He does his thing, I do mine. I realize this isn't something I can fix, as I'm only half the equation, but I need to get to a place where I don't feel badly for being ignored, neglected, and verbally abused? I don't know if I'll ever get to that place, and I'm pretty sure I shouldn't... .

He promised we'd talk today, but he's made no attempt, and he's clearly angry.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 01:28:18 PM »

I'm doing good getting most of my needs met, but yeah, it STINKS that my spouse doesn't meet ANY of them. Why am I with him then? What do I get out of this? I'm struggling to see why I essentially chose this man over my son? I thought things might continue to be good, but they've deescalated, and now I feel really alone. I feel he chose to isolate me from my family.

I, too, am wondering why you're with him.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Ceruleanblue

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 02:32:15 PM »

I guess like a lot of us, I live for the good times. There are good times, but they are getting fewer and fewer between again. For a time, we had lots of good times, and I thought we had a much more normal marriage for a while. It's like ever since he dropped the what I think of as the "negative bomb" on me in MC, he's been on a negative bent.

I feel he's seeing just how far he can push me away. Now he's saying he doesn't get enough free time. Right on the heels of me saying I feel we are disconnected. He wants to pursue more of his hobbies, which I'm all for, but I have to admit, I feel neglected. His last wife had all the same complaints. When we were dating, it was easy to discount her complaints, because he was the exact opposite with me. I was being wooed, and I was getting the false front. Once we married, I got ignored, and verbally abused. I knew something just wasn't right in the erratic ways he was behaving.

When it's good, it's good, but when it's bad it's horrid. Just like the nursery rhyme. If he didn't say or do such damaging things when it's bad, and if when things were good, it involved more than doing just when he wants. Marriage is supposed to involve compromise, and negotiation, but ours involves none of that. I told him that, and he actually said I get my way, so I calmly asked for ONE example, and seriously, he couldn't even list ONE. Why? Because I always give him his way, yet he's still a miserable sun of a gun.

Now, he's robbed me of any security I did have with him. He enjoys taking away any hope I had. He says he wants to meet my needs, and for us to be happy, but he's clearly not willing to do ANYTHING that entails. F bombing me when mad is something he says he can't control? Really? It's not like he has turrets, he doesn't. He can control it, and when I calmly remind him he promised not to F bomb me, he'll do it twice more in short order. It's like twisting the knife.

He says he doesn't want me to move out, like he ordered me to do last night, but he is also "out of ideas". Yeah, MY ideas are discounted obviously. If he would make suggestions, I'd try them. Not him. He just wants to create drama and misery, and have my enjoy it.

I thought I/We were cut out to make it because I'm pretty calm and have learned to let a lot of this roll off. But it just feels like he keeps upping the ante.  Maybe I'm not, after all.
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 05:37:15 PM »

Maybe the more you take control of your life, the more he tries to assert control by being uncooperative. Witholding can often be used as a tool to "show you who's in charge"

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Daniell85

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 05:53:49 PM »

And how do you counteract their willingness to up the ante? The only way I found to is to completely disengage for a few days... or weeks. Is there any other way not to play that game, because the non seems to end up the loser.
Ceruleanblue

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 07:13:12 PM »

For now, I'm giving him his own way on everything. It galls me to do that, but it seems to be the only thing that makes him happy. I have a friend who has pointed out that BPDh just wants a robot or puppet, with no feelings. He wants to do what he wants, when he wants, with zero accountability. My fear is that what happened last time will occur again: Him saying he's unhappy and wanting to be with other women. Gross, just gross. He told me not long ago that he has regrets over marrying his first wife so young, and not sowing his oats. At 48, I'd have thought he'd have come to terms with that.

I definitely have a few boundaries now, but I can't say I've taken control of my life. I'm working on it, but it's small steps. Even those seem to threaten his sense of control I think, as Waverider stated. I think that could be it. He definitely withholds, but he won't call it that. He has admitted to "stonewalling" or ignoring, which to me, is part of withholding. He does that A LOT. Doesn't answer me. He just flat out ignores me.

I mentioned my going alone to the cabin I'd rented for us. It's at a resort type place, sort of a rustic cabin, and I'd thought my going alone would give us both a break. He didn't like that idea at all.

Any ideas of how I can disengage while he's around? I've been telling him to "veg out"(his term for watching tv, or other solitary pursuits he likes), but while he complained about needing more "veg out" time, he won't do it if I suggest it! It's like if I suggest it, he resents it, then wants to do something with me, of his choosing of course. Yeah, I'm starting to see this is ALL about power/control due to his BPD... .

formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 08:28:40 PM »

Any ideas of how I can disengage while he's around? I've been telling him to "veg out"(his term for watching tv, or other solitary pursuits he likes), but while he complained about needing more "veg out" time, he won't do it if I suggest it! It's like if I suggest it, he resents it, then wants to do something with me, of his choosing of course. Yeah, I'm starting to see this is ALL about power/control due to his BPD... .

CB,

Focus on this... .and the "thinking" that it represents... .

Working on "telling yourself" more things to do to disengage... .focus less on "telling him". 

In fact... .what would life be like if you took a week off from "telling him" to do anything.  If he asks... .let him figure it out.

You solve your problems... .

He solves his problems... .

I think you are right... .if you "suggest" something... .that is triggering... .it doesn't seem to matter what the subject matter is.

Next issue:

Hey... .can you elaborate on what happened that led you to believe you were going to be hit... .just curious how that dynamic evolved... .

FF

Ceruleanblue

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 11:44:16 PM »

Oh, I thought he might hit me because he got upset over my asking him to stop f bombing me. I made the mistake of reminding him that he'd promised not to do it anymore, so he then did it twice more, in a hateful voice. I approached his side of the bed to tell him that wasn't okay(because he likes to talk to me with his back turned, and he won't look at me when he's talking), and he jumped up and got aggressive. It was so sudden that it startled me. Looking back, I should have left the room. We'd been having a calm discussion prior to that though, then as soon as I took exception to being f bombed, he exploded.

He didn't hit me, but I got the strong feeling he wanted to. He dumped water on my bed(Boo Hoo, whoopee big deal, it's water), then stomped off and slept on the couch. I slept in his huge king size bed I got for him(he dumped the little bit of water on the bed in the room I'd been sleeping in). Today he swears he didn't even think of hitting me, but he did admit to hitting his ex once, but he downplays it. He says she was hysterical, and he slapped her. Still, that is so not okay.

Today he was being his version of "nice", which is still nothing like the normal man I dated and knew when we were dating. It's just weird how different that man was. It's like he could portray himself as a totally different personality.

I guess what scares me is that we can be having a civil conversation, and he'll just get instantly irate and super angry, all out of proportion to anything that is said. He'll twist or misinterpret my words, almost deliberately, just so he can be mad. It makes me feel like talking to him at all is just something I shouldn't even attempt... .
sweetheart

Relationship status: Married, together 11 years. Not living together since June 2017, but still in a relationship.

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 07:18:02 AM »

Hi CB,

Waverider has pointed out that there are lots of  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) around, and there are!

You state that you were having a 'civil conversation' and he got 'instantly irate, and super angry.'

I understand that being outside something is different to being in it, and I understand how difficult things are for you at the moment. That said you are triggering your husband through JADE and the interactions you are choosing to continue using which are escalating his behaviours and putting you both at risk.

Things like 'cornering' him whilst he is dysregulated is dangerous.

Deleting your number from his phone, throwing cat litter, taking the keys to the car is provocative behaviour. It is like throwing down the gauntlet for a fight.

Your husband is sending out warning signs that he is scared and worried about how things are between you both, to the point where he is talking about the relationship not working. He is letting you know that things are not ok between you.

Your posts chart a slow but steady escalation of  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) behaviours from you both.

What is it that prevents you from withdrawing from these episodes of dysregulated behaviours given that you realise the current way of doing things is not working?

Sunfl0wer
`

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: He moved out mid March

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 07:30:31 AM »

It sounds like everyone here is being very supportive and helping you sort this out.

I just wanted to chime in about the one thing that stood out to me:

Excerpt
He dumped water on my bed(Boo Hoo, whoopee big deal, it's water),

Your attitude here sounds like you are mocking him for not escalating in an aggressive enough manner to actually get you to fear and back down.

It sounds like you are putting out vibes for an invitation for a "real" aggressive match with him.  (Not just kitty litter and water)

This worries me.

I realize that these are not words you expressed towards him, however, our language can be very telling and others can respond to this.

If this is a vibe that you are giving off... .

Nothing good will result.

Please be careful, not just with your behaviors, and words... .with your thoughts as well.

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 08:03:43 AM »

Things like 'cornering' him whilst he is dysregulated is dangerous.

Deleting your number from his phone, throwing cat litter, taking the keys to the car is provocative behaviour. It is like throwing down the gauntlet for a fight.

Your posts chart a slow but steady escalation of  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) behaviours from you both.

What is it that prevents you from withdrawing from these episodes of dysregulated behaviours given that you realise the current way of doing things is not working?

CB,

Please... .take big... .deep breath... .

You have shown the ability to grow and learn from the lessons on here... .that is/has changed some of the dynamics in your r/s... .which made your hubby uncomfortable... .so he "upped" his behavior to try and get you "back in line" with what he perceives as normal. 

At first look... .it seems he has succeeded in sucking you back in... .but at a higher level of conflict.   Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post)  

If there is nothing else you remember from this post... .please remember that you are the non and the more emotionally mature... .and will need to be the one to de-escalate a situation.

He does not possess the tools to de-escalate...

Please take a walk... .think of ways to "walk away" from conflict.  You don't need to "win"... .

FF

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »

Ceruleanblue,

You might benefit from reading through a recent interaction I had with my wife... .

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=281275.msg12657790#msg12657790

I'm not detecting much paranoia from your hubby... .honestly... still trying to figure him out a bit.

But... .what I hope you can see... is to not take "slights" personally... .and use the not taking personally approach to reduce conflict... .  My wife "suggested" or "hinted" she was not in love with me... .I had another woman on side... .probably several other things in there...

I don't acknowledge such things... .just let them drift by... .try to find emotions underneath to empathize with.

I used to "light it off... " very much like you seem to do now... .with similar results... .

Hang in there.

FF

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 10:48:51 AM »

Cerulean,

You have mentioned that your husband is Mexican and that you didn't know that there would be very frequent family gatherings that you were expected to attend.

Something else you might not be giving much attention to is the cultural significance of a woman disrespecting her husband's pride. As Sweetheart has said, ":)eleting your number from his phone, throwing cat litter, taking the keys to the car is provocative behaviour."

Now I think I'd personally have difficulty as a spouse of a traditional Mexican man. That said, I think you might be provoking him in ways you're not aware of. 

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Together five years, ended suddenly June 2011

Players only love you when they're playing...

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 10:58:31 AM »

Hi CB.

I think you have the full support of this board that your relationship has elements of DV and that there is the potential for violence.

There seems to be a lot of focus right now on interactions involving your H... .(when space is probably needed)  that seem to be coming from a place in you that thinks it will be helpful or potentially corrective to engage with him over and over again ... .and you give reasonable examples of things that might be normal points of discussion or reasonable requests one might find being discussed in a normal range couple where pathology is NOT present.  

But, yours is not a normal range relationship.  Pathology is present.

I think maybe you keep forgetting this.  

And then you seem surprised angry over and over again when your bids to talk with your H aren't going over well.   ?

This continues even after you posted a reasonable concern that your husband's expressed fear of violence may have to do with his own growing rage or a projection of his own build-up of aggression. You received support and validation from this board for that possibility, we all said yes, that could very well be the case!  Be careful!

Perhaps right now would NOT be such a good time to keep going after your H about relationship issues.  We all agree there is a potential for violence, so does it make sense to engage in triggering material right now?  :)oes it make sense to increase time spent with him that is edgy and potentially explosive?

You are getting triggered. He is getting triggered.  

Perhaps right now would be a good time to give him some space and leave him alone, and to focus on doing things with other people.  Now might be a good time for both of you to take space, instead, and not about hashing through everything you don't like, taking trips, planning trips, attending family functions, who introduces whom, more togetherness, behavior change requests... .why now? Also, I want to warn you that venting is not a good idea.  To 'vent' over and over again about stuff that is upsetting, leads to more feelings of upset, not less... .that includes venting on this board.  It is good to participate on the board for sure, but venting can be counterproductive.  They have studied this in couples... .venting is not helpful.   It's okay to just stop and do your own thing for a while.  Stop.  Take a break from this.  Quit swimming in shark infested waters, it's okay to get out of the water and do other stuff for a while on dry land.    

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 11:41:34 AM »

Perhaps right now would be a good time to give him some space and leave him alone, and to focus on doing things with other people. 

I remember being "scared" to give space... .to have space.

People pushed me to do this... (have space)... .and it felt weird... .but I did it.  And now... .looking back... .it is part of what helped me "find myself" again.

Not at all saying I'm done and have arrived... .but space is no longer scary. 

Honestly... there was a while where the conflict was not as scary as the space.  I suspect that is where CB is right now... .

Then I would take space... .and make excuses... apologize  etc etc...

Now I take space... .and I let her have space... .

FF

Ceruleanblue

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 11:57:44 AM »

I have been withdrawing from these situations? I also wasn't JADE-ing when he went off. It was a civil conversation, then whammo, he erupted, because I reminded him of my boundary that involves being f bombed. I walked out of the room after he went off. Not sure what I could have done differently.

Also, I DID NOT take the keys to the car, I simply set a boundary that I want my car to drive and not be stranded at home, he can drive his motorcycle.

Since I dumped kitty litter on the bed(and hear this, please, that was a one time incident after four years of physical incidents I received from this man), and that only happened due to his grabbing me. I WILL NOT be physically manhandled by this man any more: Hence me walking away. I'll take full responsibility for the kitty litter incident, but I only flung some at him because he grabbed me. I realized that incident is on ME, but I'm not going to beat myself up over ONE incident, after all I've been subjected to for years. I refuse to take blame that isn't mine anymore, from him, from anyone on here, anyone, period. 

I'm not the only one he "goes off" on, by any means. There was a time when I feared going out in public with him, due to him going off on random strangers. He hasn't done that lately, but that is the sort of thing I'm dealing with. Odd, random outbursts of anger, set off by things that most people would overlook... .

I am the non, but how do you live with someone you can't talk to AT ALL? The advice I seem to be getting is to just not trigger him? He has so many triggers, so how am I supposed to do that, and why is the responsibility all on ME to not trigger him, especially if I don't know what will trigger him? Of course I know certain things that will: talking about his girls, certain subjects I know to avoid. But so many, many times, it's just things I had no idea are an issue, like on our mini vacation. I'll think things are fine, only to find out they are not.

I don't feel things are escalating as much as everyone on here does, and I'm in the situation. Maybe that's because I've been with him in the past when things were much, much worse? I feel I could be dealing with extinction bursts, or even him acclimating to me being stronger. I'm also definitely not mocking him, as I hate when he does that to me. I was just making light of what he did because he's done so much worse to me, and he did it just to be crappy. I have to make light of all this chaos, or I'd go crazy.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 12:44:12 PM »

Instead of living your life trying not to trigger him... .

Possibly focus on once he is triggered... .to give him a wide berth... .let him sooth himself.

It's a spectrum... .

On the one side... trying not to trigger... .and on the other side... living your life without "worrying" about him.

Right now... .for the sake of reduction in conflict... I recommend that you focus more on not triggering...

For now...

Reduce conflict... .get more communication going... .and then... .make decisions from there...

FF

MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Together five years, ended suddenly June 2011

Players only love you when they're playing...

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 12:50:17 PM »

the title of your thread sounds an alarm. it's about escalating anger and almost getting hit... .fear of violence has been a recent theme in several posts

the advice you are getting from me is to stay safe. it doesn't mean you never talk to your partner ever again... .that would be an exaggeration.    it means maybe take some space if you feel things are especially tense right now ... .your posts seem to indicate things are especially tense right now, but nothing stays the same forever... .

are we misunderstanding your posts?

my apologies if that is the case... .

Ceruleanblue

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 01:11:47 PM »

Well, I definitely feel there was a misunderstanding about the car keys. I only set a boundary around my car because I was being isolated, and I got sick of not having my car to drive. I definitely did not take the keys, I just informed him he could drive his motorcycle, because I needed the car. He doesn't like it, but he's been respecting that boundary.

I agree that things are way more tense lately, but I feel it's because I'm stronger. I tell him all the time how much I want this to work out, and that I'm using tools I've learned, and I feel I could be getting some blow back because he liked things the way they were before. He liked when he felt totally dominant, and when I was so off balance that I'd give him his way, just out of fear.

I do feel the only way to ensure no dysreguation or sudden eruption of anger from him is to just not communicate. That's not an exaggeration, I just have fear of any communication with him at this time, because it seems to head south so fast sometimes. I feel like I'm beating a hasty retreat pretty often. I'm not withholding(that's his schtick), but I do feel like I need to occupy my time, and stay away from him, let him have his own time, just so he doesn't get triggered by ME. I seem to trigger him just by being around. I personally think he is back to resenting/hating/blaming me for the loss of his three adult daughters. It was what he did last time he left me. He says it isn't, but what he does is he starts missing them, wanting them back, he blames me(although I've done all I can to "fix" that situation), and then he starts creating drama, looking for reasons to be discontent, and then he left. He moved in with one of said daughters, and as soon as he left me, they all welcomed him back with open arms. I'd take four of his son any day, but his daughters are just mean, controlling, personality disordered, meanies.

I'm at a total loss as to what to do NOW. I'm not sure how we got here, as this started when things were going so well. And I'd like to take a break, but that seems to trigger him too. I suggested I take our coming vacation alone, and he wouldn't hear of it.
123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 02:54:51 PM »

I'm at a total loss as to what to do NOW.

For now, I'd practice the art of doing nothing, except getting to intimately know yourself

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 03:05:37 PM »

I tell him all the time how much I want this to work out, and that I'm using tools I've learned,  

I think this is not helping... .

Drop relationship talk... ."do" the relationship more.

So... .be nice to him.  Take him a glass of ice water... .pick something up special for him (and you)... .if he doesn't want to eat it... you go ahead and enjoy your treat.

Only talk about r/s stuff in counseling or under guidance of a counselor... .

My overarching reaction to your situation is that your husband is most likely on "stimulus overload" from you and can't figure it out... .so he is acting out... .

Try to pick a way you are going to behave... sleep... .drive... .text... .clean the litter box... .etc etc etc... .and stick with it  NO MATTER WHAT... .for 30 days... .no changes... .and see what happens.

This couple with dropping relationship talk... .will most likely calm things... .a lot...

Thoughts... .?

Is it possible you are trying too hard?  Can you focus the energy back on you that you are focusing on him?

FF

Ceruleanblue

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 05:24:28 PM »

It may seem like I'm focusing on him, but I feel I'm really focusing on not setting him off, thereby making MY life better. Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

I was probably JADE-ing when I told him I'm using tools I've learned from T, and reading up over the years(not just from this site). I told him because I wanted him to know I'm doing the best I can, and I'm being very conscious of choosing my words, so he doesn't feel attacked, or need to be defensive. At this point, I don't feel I can say anything to him, no matter what it's about, never mind it being about US.

We've only been talking about our relationship in regards to when he acts out. So what you are saying, is if he tries to initiate a talk of "why he did or said that", to just tell him I don't want to talk about it? Heck, at this point I even fear when he later apologizes(which he sometimes does), because I'm afraid I'll look wrong, or accept his apology wrong.
123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2015, 05:29:53 PM »

It may seem like I'm focusing on him, but I feel I'm really focusing on not setting him off, thereby making MY life better. Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

Ceruleanblue, what are your interests other than anything to do with your H?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest