Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 12:19:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for an attorney referral in Saint George Utah  (Read 498 times)
ttomsen

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: December 30, 2015, 01:19:50 PM »

I will be divorcing my BPD wife. I could use a referral for an attorney that is versed in personality disorders (BPD/NPD) and high conflict divorce with custody.

Thanks in advance.

ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 11:47:01 AM »

Bill Eddy, author of Splitting: Protecting Yourself While Divorcing Someone with a Borderline or Narcissistic Personality Disorder, also has HighConflictInstitute.com which is based in southern CA but I believe at least one partner is from Utah.  Perhaps contact them?  Also, others have commented AVVO.COM is helpful.

The best way to get a knowledgeable and proactive lawyer is to compile what appears to be a good local list and then start getting some legal consultations to narrow your list.  Are your questions answered?  Are solid strategies suggested?

The reality is that while most divorces do end in some level of settlement, you need more than a forms filer and hand holder.  On the other hand, it will never go as easily and simply as strategized.  Most of our cases take more than a year, many about two years, usually due to custody and parenting complications.  What age groups are the children, if any?

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 12:18:04 PM »

Sometimes the key words "parental alienation" and "high conflict divorce" will help you find lawyers who have the experience you're looking for.

I agree with ForeverDad that it's good to get multiple legal consultations. These can cost a few hundred dollars an hour depending on where you live, but you want to be as sure as possible that you have the right lawyer.

It helps to write in advance what your goals/objectives are, and then ask the lawyers to clarify a strategy to reach those goals, plus ask them to estimate how much it will cost. Goals might include things like: primary custody of the kids, decision-making over major medical/educational, shared legal, and 50/50 visitation. Ask them how they have handled similar cases in the past, and how they would handle different likely scenarios you anticipate, like not complying with court orders, stonewalling.

Strategies might include how they will approach mediation, whether to use custody evaluations, coparenting therapy, parenting coordinators, depositions, psychiatric evaluations, etc.

I found it very useful to have a lawyer skilled in litigation -- not all lawyers are competent in court.

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest