Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 08, 2024, 05:51:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shift of power  (Read 371 times)
Saradane

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: February 12, 2016, 09:00:15 AM »

Hi guys, I need advice, please help!

So I'm the non BPD in the relationship, and my BPD partner and I have been taking it day by day for quite sometime after the break up. She has been under A LOT of stress latley, and hasn't had much sleep.

Long story short, we were fine until I brought up just being friends because she was acting a bit mean. She was sad, I called her later to apologize and to take it back, and I immediately felt the power shift to her and now she wants to remain just friends and not be intimate again.

This was a mistake on my part, we argued for about an hour after I tried to resolve things. What is my best option to get her back? We've never gone more than 5 days without talking, so how can I get her back to the way it was before?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 07:08:03 AM »

Hi Saradane,

This was a mistake on my part, we argued for about an hour after I tried to resolve things. What is my best option to get her back? We've never gone more than 5 days without talking, so how can I get her back to the way it was before?

I don't think you can go back and I don't think you should go back. What you had in the past did not work and also seems not to recover by itself. To move forward you need to imaging what another future would be... .

Power is often about boundaries and right now she is controlling communication. That sucks and is difficult to counter directly. It is worth however to keep in mind that when boundaries come into play there is usually a need behind it, something that requires protection. Her vulnerable self, her new life or whatever.

Validation is a key connecting skill in friendship, romantic relationships or even commercial ones. Healthy romantic communication has an exchange of > 5 validating to invalidating parts.

At this point rebuilding the connection may be the more immediate step. Restarting intimacy then is another kettle of fish coming later.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
valet
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 03:28:00 PM »

Hey Saradane, it sounds like the communication between you and your ex broke down right there. It happens sometimes. Sorry you feel like it shifted things between the two of you.  It'll be ok. Give her some time to cool off on her own.

Mentioning the 'just friends' things might have triggered abandonment fears. Generally, it helps to describe how you feel to the other person (and ask them, as well) when there's potential for conflict. When she's stressed out, a little bit of gentleness can go a long way. A loving, trusting relationship cannot be about who has the upper hand. She reacted, and you did too. It's not unlikely that both of you want the same thing here: to be listened to and understood. And of course this is possible, but we have to learn to be honest and kind while still expressing and upholding our values in these types of relationships, and most others.

Can you say anything more specific about the interaction?

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest