Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 08:14:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice  (Read 379 times)
virtus

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: March 17, 2016, 07:11:37 AM »

I saw my BPD ex gf about 2 weeks ago, first time in 2 months. She has lost alot of weight and looks sickly. Either health problems or using drugs. Didnt talk to her. Im told rhrough a friend that her psychiatrist wants her to go inpatient (not sure for drugs or mental health or both). I met her psychiatrist while i was with her. Would it be ok to contact her psych? Also she was seen in a bad part of town with a shady guy. I texted her this morning (first time in 3 months). Im trying hard to detach, I dont want to be with her but I dont believe she has anyone around her that cares for her.
fromheeltoheal

Relationship status: Broken up, I left her

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 07:36:08 AM »

Hey virtus-

Would it be ok to contact her psych?

Her psych won't be able to discuss her with you due to doctor-patient confidentiality, and at this point it's more beneficial to look at your desire to want to.  You care about her, I get that virtus, and where do you draw the line between caring about her and wanting to be her caretaker?  Did you fulfill the caretaker role in the relationship?

Excerpt
Im trying hard to detach, I dont want to be with her but I dont believe she has anyone around her that cares for her.

Notice you said "cares for" her instead of "cares about" her.  One way to look at it is she's an adult and is responsible for taking care of herself, or not, maybe she looks to others to do that, but sometimes, when someone is left on their own path and it isn't working, the resulting pain is strong enough to get through the defenses and inspire someone to look for help.  It's good she's in therapy, and it's telling that you've heard that the psych thinks she should enter an inpatient program.

So have you looked closely at your desire to help and what that means?
WoundedBibi

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 07:39:26 AM »

Welcome Virtus.

Her health is ultimately her responsability. You cannot save her. I understand you feel the need to help. What would be your aim? What would you want to tell the psych? What would you want or expect the psych to do?

Of course the psych cannot and should not give you any information. So let's say you contact the psych and say something like: "I know you cannot discuss your patients with me but I would like to express my concern about my ex. My concern is etc" the most you should get is "thank you for your concern". Is that enough for you?

And what is your concern? She looks sickly. The psych will have seen that too.

So is it the shady guy you want to inform the psych about? And if you do, can you then let it go and leave it in the psych's hands?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest