Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 23, 2024, 11:17:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What type of behavior could this be tied in with BPD  (Read 363 times)
Confused108

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: April 22, 2016, 11:57:47 AM »

My ex would always expect some  sort of dramatic response from me. For example if she started her push pull behavior and we would fight she would say to me are you crying? She pulled this all the time. It was like she wanted me to be a hot mess over what she would do. Another time i had had it with her and said I was upset what she was doing . I sent this thru a text. I then decided to change it from upset to confused. Well she gets back to me and says oh I thought u said you were upset? Aren't you upset? It was like she was hoping yet again I would go into these dramatic reactions for her pleasure. Anyone have this with their exs? And if so what type of behavior could this be? Oh forgot to mention my ex I strongly believe is a Narc as well. Always taking sexy pics of herself and putting them all over social media. Very sickening to say the least!

WoundedBibi

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 12:05:10 PM »

Focused on drama, histrionic maybe.
Confused108

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 12:08:47 PM »

Well we all know these individuals bring nothing but drama to us. Crazy

Sunfl0wer
`

Relationship status: He moved out mid March

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 12:38:36 PM »

I think maybe it has to do with their lack of individual stable identity and seeking connection with others by enmeshing identities.

So if she is upset about something then you HAVE to be also having some similar emotional experience.  Does this sound about right?

For example, when my sister was pissed about something, say a waiter did not treat her right.  She could not 'put that thought/feeling aside' and move on with a different conversation.  That thought consumed her and having me change topic and discuss something else was NEVER possible because she felt invalidated.

Simply put: When sis was upset = the rest of the world around her needed to also be upset

This way she felt validated in her own way.

If for some reason the rest of the world was not upset, then she made it her mission to ensure they would be soon upset, even if just by her behavior of making that person upset. (About anything)

She felt justified in causing upset as she felt harmed by 'the upset' she experience, therefore others should also experience that.  She acted like her feelings were a wind/breeze/storm, that she was compelled to pass on and to others around her.  She was often a tornado. .

Sometimes she antagonized 'an upset' in another.  Other times she sought out some upset in someone in some way sympathizing with their victim state of mind, feeling a shared victim bond of sorts with them as validation.

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
WoundedBibi

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 12:49:07 PM »

Well we all know these individuals bring nothing but drama to us. Crazy

There is a difference between bringing drama to the relationship and being focused on it. Have you looked at the traits for Histrionic Personality Disorder?
Confused108

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 01:10:48 PM »

I think maybe it has to do with their lack of individual stable identity and seeking connection with others by enmeshing identities.

So if she is upset about something then you HAVE to be also having some similar emotional experience.  Does this sound about right?

For example, when my sister was pissed about something, say a waiter did not treat her right.  She could not 'put that thought/feeling aside' and move on with a different conversation.  That thought consumed her and having me change topic and discuss something else was NEVER possible because she felt invalidated.

Simply put: When sis was upset = the rest of the world around her needed to also be upset

If for some reason the rest of the world was not upset, then she made it her mission to ensure they would be soon upset, even if just by her behavior of making that person upset. (About anything)

She felt justified in causing upset as she felt harmed by 'the upset' she experience, therefore others should also experience that.  She acted like her feelings were a wind/breeze/storm, that she was compelled to pass on and to others around her.  She was often a tornado. .

Sometimes she antagonized 'an upset' in another.  Other times she sought out some upset in someone in some way sympathizing with their victim state of mind, feeling a shared victim bond of sorts with them as validation.

l thanks Sunfliwer for ur response. Your sister acts like this wow! My ex on the other had would have fights with ppl or family and really never want me to be upset over it or take her side. She only acted the way I mentioned  when she pulled stuff on me.

WB I just looked up that disorder. Wow! It's a possibility she might have some trait if that disorder as well as BPD. Jesus there is So much stuff out there !

MapleBob

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 02:10:36 PM »

Hey, I've seen that behavior too!  

It makes me think of a quote from the "How A Borderline Relationship Evolves" article here:

https://bpdfamily.com/content/how-borderline-relationship-evolves

Excerpt
"Her intense interest in you will subtly transform over time. She still appears to be interested in you, but no longer in what you are interested in. Her interest becomes your exclusive interest in her. This is when you start to notice “something”. Your thoughts, feelings and ideas fascinate her, but more so when they focus on her. You can tell when this happens because you can feel her "perk-up" emotionally whenever your attention focuses upon her feelings and issues."

In short, the world revolves around them. Feelings = facts! And if you don't agree with their "facts", then you appear to not agree with their feelings ... .and so on.
Stolen

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 02:27:26 PM »

So true.   exW would always be hissing some hate/anger at someone.  Not immediately supporting her tirade would get to "you never take my side"  "you never support me" "you are always against me".  All at level 10.  I would just wonder - how did I get in the middle of this?

And - early on when I would leap to stand by her side, it always ending with her moving along and me wondering why exactly I was supposed to hate this person?

GoingBack2OC

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 03:47:54 PM »

My ex would always expect some  sort of dramatic response from me. For example if she started her push pull behavior and we would fight she would say to me are you crying? She pulled this all the time. It was like she wanted me to be a hot mess over what she would do. Another time i had had it with her and said I was upset what she was doing . I sent this thru a text. I then decided to change it from upset to confused. Well she gets back to me and says oh I thought u said you were upset? Aren't you upset? It was like she was hoping yet again I would go into these dramatic reactions for her pleasure. Anyone have this with their exs? And if so what type of behavior could this be? Oh forgot to mention my ex I strongly believe is a Narc as well. Always taking sexy pics of herself and putting them all over social media. Very sickening to say the least!

I'd simply say that all the rules were backwards or broken.

My ex would:

- Create outrageous lies (I'm talking full on make believe stories with vivid details- lies, stories, that were then told to me simply to "get a reaction".

- Once I was told the lie, my typical response was, as I usually handle shocking news, think about it. For an hour or a day. I tend not to immediately over-react.

- Ex would be utterly in shock when I came back wanting to discuss. Shocked I was bothered by it, shocked I was upset. This would in turn make her very defensive. Angry. Typically silent treatment would follow.

- Many times, if this makes any sense at all- her lies were lies. Case in point:  I never cheated on you. Months later:  I actually did cheat on you, I'm sorry I lied.    :)ays later:   I lied. I never cheated on you. I only lied to see how you would react. (Talk about a head spin).

Here are some things my ex told me- you tell me if this is attention seeking behavior:

- You got me pregnant. Over 1 year ago. I lost the Baby.  Silent Treatment for 5 days. I lied. I was never pregnant.

- I never cheated on you. Nothing happened. Months later; I did cheat on you. Silent Treatment for a few days.   I never cheated on you. I was just testing to see if you'd be upset.

- My parents are forcing me into an arranged marriage, a family which our family is friends with. They are worried you are taking too long. I went and met him. Spent the day with the family. We've signed an agreement to marry in 2017 should I still be single. Days later--- I ask:  I want to see this contract you signed... . Her:  There's no contract. We just agreed verbally.    (Story Morphs). I confront her - IN FRONT OF her Mom and Dad.   They look stunned... .as if (excuse me what?)   She looks at me, just kind of laughs a little and says "It was a joke".

She told me in the end she was madly in love with me up until the last 6 months. But the lies, the stories, which destroyed our relationship and the trust I had, and caused me to in reaction do things I regret, date back to the begining of our relationship. It was ongoing through out, even when we were "good". It was sabotage from day one.

Lastly, if I said anything critical as in:  "When you lie it hurts my feelings" - Response by her:  "You HATE me!"

Anything I would say, that could be construed as a critical comment, even if it was constructive - was "I hate her".

In turn, anything I did, no matter how small meant she "Hated" me.

Its funny, before this ex, I don't think I've ever in my life, said I "hated" someone. At least not directly, to their face, and in a way that would hurt them.

Also, up until this ex; I cant honestly remember anyone telling me they hate me-- at least not to my face. Maybe when I was a child, but not that I can honestly remember.

The only two words my ex used to tell me how she felt about me were:

I love you or I hate you. Nothing in between.

This may be off topic a bit- but every thing/argument/fight we had- during the last 2 years - was for her "the last straw".

Anything negative that happened in the last 2 years resulted in me being told:  I loved you, until yesterday, when you did X.  Every little thing was the straw that broke the camels back.
Stolen

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 12:36:30 PM »

Goingback,

The hypersensitivity to any perceived criticism is something that always had my head spinning.  It devolved to the point where any disagreement, regardless how  trivial, was taken as a mortal wound to her soul.  And once the option to disagree is off the table, you are well on your way to tip toeing on the eggshells... .

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest