Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 05:35:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am married, but not because I want to be married  (Read 1843 times)
earlgrey

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 23, 2016, 08:01:01 AM »

I am married, but not because I want to be married, but because I have not yet been able to get myself out.

I see things as follows, I put it in list form because I like working through lists.

1.   R/S was built on abuse….U. narcissistic Borderline W. and victim Husband (me)

2.   I have now understood this dynamic and I’m working on getting better.

3.   W has no interest in introspection or improving r/s and so I am on my own.

4.   I have always ‘lived ‘ for others

5.   This is a form codependency (right?)

6.   I need to work through my co-D issues

7.   Place my own needs on a stronger footing.

8.   Focus on my needs

9.   Choose the best options for ME.

10.   Like Snakes and ladders.

11.   ……lose concentration and end up listening to my Co-D voice….Slide down a big snake to (6.)

12.   Throw the dice and start again

I am aware, I like to think, of what is going on, and the work that is needed, but 6. Onwards is hard.

Any encouragement, shares, pointers gratefully received.

FWIW boundaries (OK a little late) are being enforced, and chaos is on the whole reduced, so daily life is pretty cool…... but then that makes me (real me, co-D me?) say to myself, well if it’s cool why do I want out?

Cool is Ok, but those things healthy r/s are supposed to be about,  care, empathy, reasonableness, fair exchange, sharing, openness, honesty, even saying nice things are all absent.

Then I lose track……

The r/s keeps my head in a permanent spin, non-stop analysis.

That cannot be the basis of anything healthy surely?

Thanks for listening

fromheeltoheal

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken up, I left her

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 08:46:42 AM »

Hey EG-

4.   I have always ‘lived ‘ for others

5.   This is a form codependency (right?)

6.   I need to work through my co-D issues

7.   Place my own needs on a stronger footing.

8.   Focus on my needs

9.   Choose the best options for ME.

Putting someone else's needs ahead of our own for a time can be compassionate, caring, supportive, contributing, or other descriptors, and when we do it full time it can be unhealthy.  Then again, some folks enjoy 'being in service' to others, the humility and the connection of it, but think about that, there really isn't such a thing as selfless service, because when we serve others and get a feel-good buzz out of it, it's no longer selfless.

Anyway, in the terms of a relationship, we can focus on one person's needs exclusively, to the exclusion of our own, to the point we don't even acknowledge we have needs, and even further, we get a sense of identity from being the one meeting and 'fixing' someone else's needs.  That's codependency.  So you are getting your needs met, in a backhanded way, and there's a reason you're susceptible to that mode of meeting needs.  A pairing of a borderline with a codependent is common, borderlines can always have needs that need tending to, a nice fit for someone who is wired to get their needs met by meeting someone else's.  It's said every relationship needs a gardener and a rose, not sure if that's true totally, but it's to the extreme with borderline and a codependent.

So when you say you need to work through my co-D issues what does that mean?  What if you focused exclusively on your needs for a day, how would you feel?  Selfish?  Rude?  Uncaring?  Your tendency to put someone else's needs ahead of your own was probably there before you met your wife; where did that come from?  This can be an awesome period of self discovery if you say so, and good for you for enforcing boundaries, that's a piece too.  Take care of you!

woundedPhoenix

Relationship status: Very Single

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 08:59:19 AM »

I think most of us here would qualify as a co-dependant in some way.

I learned in T. that i have spent my whole life focusing on taking into account other peoples issues and emotions more then my own, that it actually feels akward now to care for myself and really support myself, and connect with and respect my own needs.

I guess i had to be the strong one pretty early on in my life and a part of me had to be abandonned to be able to do that. Its probably that abandonned part that i found complementary within my BPDex before i knew i had it hidden in me too.

Getting rid of co-dependancy for me is not only a work of steps like you outline, but also trying to rediscover that abandonned part, and giving what it needed all along. Until then, you will unconsciously look to retrieve that through codependancy
earlgrey

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 09:16:09 AM »

So when you say you need to work through my co-D issues what does that mean?  What if you focused exclusively on your needs for a day, how would you feel?  Selfish?  Rude?  Uncaring?  Your tendency to put someone else's needs ahead of your own was probably there before you met your wife; where did that come from?  This can be an awesome period of self discovery if you say so, and good for you for enforcing boundaries, that's a piece too.  Take care of you!

Thanks for your input. You raise some intersting points, I have always tended (my headmaster age 8 said I was gifted with kindness  ) to put others first. It doesn't make you a great negotiator or businessman, but in general my dealings with the world (other than my mother... .Smiling (click to insert in post)) have been OK.  Enter a pw BPD and my model of interpersonal relations gets blown out of the water, I do not have the skills to cope. But even when I get better at coping, a foundation of shared values and goals is not going to magically appear, hence my thoughts about final destination of the marriage.

I have started to put my needs first and things are going fine. W. would not agree though!

Caring for oneself or others needs to be a choice, and the other person needs to understand and respect the choice... .this is something both I and uB/NPD W have struggled with. I think i'm getting better at understanding how these interactions are supposed to work.

R/S with Mother (mine) was never great and I think it was here that I learned pleasing as a tactic for making my world better. I learned young and adopted the formula never understanding what actually was going on.

Apart from poor reception from W. on my newfound assertiveness, I have not noticed any downside from others on putting ones point of view, wishes out there. Most people can cope with it.

Excerpt
6. I need to work on my Co-D issues.

I am reading a book by Charles Whitfield on Co-D and he has given some tasks to undertake... about recognising triggers that make you behave in a certain way.

Need to come back to you on this.

Lucky Jim

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 09:25:15 AM »

Agree, woundedPheonix and FromHtoH, most of us Nons probably have codependent tendencies; otherwise, we probably wouldn't be in a r/s with a pwBPD.  You could say it runs with the territory.  

Hey e.g., I would say that the most important step in terms of overcoming codependency is awareness.  Notice when you are putting someone's else's needs ahead of your own.  Pause, breathe and ask yourself whether you are care taking out of an unhealthy sense of obligation or duty, or out of guilt or fear.  Concur w/HtoH that you probably had this tendency before you met your W, so in a sense you were hard-wired for a BPD r/s.

I would add that care taking someone else is a way to avoid caring for oneself.  Usually, this stems from feelings of low self-esteem and low self-worth, because on some level you feel unworthy.  The key, in my view, is learning self-love and self-acceptance, which sounds easy but is actually pretty hard to do.  I suspect that, on some level, many of us get into a BPD r/s because we think that's what we deserve, i.e., that we consider it OK to be treated like a doormat.

Hope some of these thoughts might strike a chord w/you.

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
fromheeltoheal

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 09:32:10 AM »

R/S with Mother (mine) was never great and I think it was here that I learned pleasing as a tactic for making my world better. I learned young and adopted the formula never understanding what actually was going on.

Yep, mine wasn't with my mother either.  And good self-awareness!  It's helpful to hear that we are always doing the best we can in a situation, with the tools we have at the time, and you chose pleasing as the best way to get your needs met in that situation.  The challenge can be that we use those same tactics and tools later in life, where they don't work as well or at all, and there's an inertia to something we've been doing for decades.  And the gift of a relationship with a borderline can be that it brings all of that to the forefront so it can't be denied anymore, which can inspire a period of profound growth, which is the good news yes?
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 10:47:06 AM »

And the gift of a relationship with a borderline can be that it brings all of that to the forefront so it can't be denied anymore, which can inspire a period of profound growth, which is the good news yes?

This is huge point for all to realize.  If we (the nons) start making more emotionally healthy decisions, and the borderlines  choose to stay in the r/s, they will usually get "dragged kicking and screaming" to a healthier place. 

While that is not our primary goal.  Our goal is for us to get healthier.  Sometimes it is a good byproduct of us doing better things.

When I look back at the assumptions I had and the way I approached relationships a couple years ago and compare that to now, it's a huge difference.

FF

Lilyroze

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 11:44:31 AM »

Caring for oneself or others needs to be a choice, and the other person needs to understand and respect the choice... .this is something both I and uB/NPD W have struggled with. I think i'm getting better at understanding how these interactions are supposed to work.

Apart from poor reception from W. on my newfound assertiveness, I have not noticed any downside from others on putting ones point of view, wishes out there. Most people can cope with it.

Excerpt
6. I need to work on my Co-D issues.

I am reading a book by Charles Whitfield on Co-D and he has given some tasks to undertake... about recognising triggers that make you behave in a certain way.

Need to come back to you on this.

EarlGrey,

Love the name by the way. I can totally related to what you are going through and  how you got there.

"R/S with Mother (mine) was never great and I think it was here that I learned pleasing as a tactic for making my world better. I learned young and adopted the formula never understanding what actually was going on."

This right here is how I got into a marriage with BPD and was abused as well as someone I love to pieces giving me silent treatment now when I found a broken trust.

I am now learning that I always put others needs first. I love being full of kindness, compassion and willing to go the extra mile to make a relationship work.

Now I want to heal, and be in a relationship where love, trust and each pulling their own weight. I want no drama, rages, silent treatment ( be an adult, if you need time hours, days or weeks tell me and we go NC to give time to settle and think don't treat me as if I am not there, ghosting is abuse and not OK)

This post is not about me, but you just wanted to let you know I have been there. Walking the journey to healing and love of myself.

I hope you have peace, and rest on your journey as well. You are important and need care as well. If she can't give that to you, examine that and see what plan you want to do and go from there.

Is there some small goals or things important to you, that you can write down and start doing. When things escalate do you have an escape plan? For the hour, like going for a run, for a day going out with friends or worse what is your long term goal in looking to heal your Codependency?

Lilyroze

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 12:12:04 PM »

And the gift of a relationship with a borderline can be that it brings all of that to the forefront so it can't be denied anymore, which can inspire a period of profound growth, which is the good news yes?

This is huge point for all to realize.  If we (the nons) start making more emotionally healthy decisions, and the borderlines  choose to stay in the r/s, they will usually get "dragged kicking and screaming" to a healthier place.  

While that is not our primary goal.  Our goal is for us to get healthier.  Sometimes it is a good byproduct of us doing better things.

When I look back at the assumptions I had and the way I approached relationships a couple years ago and compare that to now, it's a huge difference.

FF

Thanks... .LOL ( you summarized my life in a few short sentences and made me understand) that is exactly what happened to me having been a caretaker to my UBPD for many years dealing with rages, delusional thinking, crazy making, poor problem solving, accidents the works. I thought most was due to a lung injury so put up with . Nope, now when I put boundaries etc he went crazier and left. Which is great we didn't have a love, romantic or relationship in many years. I was FOG and guilt tripped into doing everything for house, family, budget.

Now I am done. Life is going to be wonderful as I will make it that way. I am responsible for my own happiness and will do it. Sad thing is no matter how hard I tried it was never right, enough or etc.

Now going through a silent treatment of someone that I loved and was close to for 7 years that helped me through lots of the caretaking and I was there for him. Found a broken trust. Confronted kindly, to now silent treatment. I sent nice notes, letters, texts, giving him space. Took on myself to apologize, try to be the bigger to nothing again. Guess I am not healed as still over trying to fix something with no apology or respect back, and he is the one that did the breaking of trust... .sigh
earlgrey

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 05:34:12 AM »

So when you say you need to work through my co-D issues what does that mean? 

I am reading co-dependency by C L Whitfield... .he talks about 'original pain' and 'core issues'. I am poking about here, but doing much of the work alone as there is no group stuff in my part of the world - France.

Maybe you can suggest other good reading sources?

What I am really looking for though is action on my side, and my reading and work is probably my way of procrastinating.

I like working on my home, and I know when there is a job that is a bit tricky or technically challenging, I will read and read and put off doing the thing.

Good news is all those tricky jobs have eventually been tackled.  Smiling (click to insert in post)
fromheeltoheal

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 06:44:47 AM »

Maybe you can suggest other good reading sources?

What I am really looking for though is action on my side, and my reading and work is probably my way of procrastinating.

Yes, it's great to learn and fill up our heads with a bunch of good information, the right information can be life-changing, although learning is only part of it and not really worth much unless we then take action.  And when we use continued learning as a way to avoid taking action our fear has got us, we end up being driven by fear, in the States we have a term for that: analysis paralysis.

So simpler is usually better.  As we shift the focus from our ex to ourselves and from the past to the future, it's important to develop a vision for a future that we want to live, the life of our dreams; what would that look like for you?  What would you be doing, who would you be doing it with, how would you feel, what would it look like?  And then, as we fully associate to that vision we can make it big and bright and compelling, so compelling that it pulls us towards it.  Next, take one step in that direction.  And then another.  We're going on faith initially, one foot in front of the other, but after a while we notice progress, which builds momentum, and pursuit of the life of our dreams becomes a journey, one we want to take, in fact the journey becomes more important than the destination, it becomes our life, with the goal a beacon to give us direction when we need it, and one day we stop and look back at how far we've come, and realize that our ex has faded into the past and we didn't really notice, in fact it just doesn't matter because we're living a fulfilling, empowered life of our own design, and we are now free.

So what does the life of your dreams look like EG?  What can you do TODAY in moving towards it?
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 07:04:02 AM »

Next, take one step in that direction.  And then another.  

Huge point!   This is the key to getting out of the FOG and towards a healthier life

You should ALWAYS have a clearly thought out answer to the following question.

"The next step in my journey towards a healthier me is... ."

It could be as simple as calling to make an appointment with a T

It's just one step... .then another... .  The steps should be relatively easy, even if the journey is hard.

FF

earlgrey

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 08:02:12 AM »

So what does the life of your dreams look like EG?  What can you do TODAY in moving towards it?

My friend asks me (often) so what do you really want to do?

And I have to say, that I am not very far away from where I want to really be.

Materially OK (prenup too), like my house and location... .

Bottom line is I want to get rid of toxic W and (sad to say) toxic enmeshed (with M.) SD.

Saw a T a while ago... .he said "I have magic wand, what do you want me to do for you?"... .I said pretty much the same thing.

Then I can carry on being a dad S18, D7, without the pervasive jealousy, and abuse.

Focus on my own desires and wishes and needs and start building a healthier life... .

And today... .well I think focussing on all of this will help.

Maybe I need to put a date in diary and aim for getting the whole process into motion on THAT day.

Otherwise i fear I may just be become  AP (analysis paralysis).

fromheeltoheal

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 08:49:27 AM »

Maybe I need to put a date in diary and aim for getting the whole process into motion on THAT day.

So can you put that date in your diary right now, before you reply, so when you do reply you can say you did it?  Nudge... .
earlgrey

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 10:10:45 AM »

So can you put that date in your diary right now, before you reply, so when you do reply you can say you did it?  Nudge... .

ah! sure just... .need to check on school holidays... .Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

But maybe a date will get me focussed.

And Brexit shows what is possible! A sign maybe.

It is leaving a lot of Eurpean leaders very grumpy - being dumped by the Brits!

fromheeltoheal

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 11:04:25 AM »

ah! sure just... .need to check on school holidays... .Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

But maybe a date will get me focussed.

And Brexit shows what is possible! A sign maybe.

It is leaving a lot of Eurpean leaders very grumpy - being dumped by the Brits!

Yes.  Nice focus shift.  To shift our focus another way, this is Friday, and the difference between this Friday and last Friday is we're all one week closer to death.  Always true, whether we focus on it or not.  So if we were to focus on that for just a minute, what would we do about it?
earlgrey

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 09:04:13 AM »

I’d like to share a couple more thoughts.

Wedding night was very confusing for me (not the least because it became very argumentative). Later, a romantic weekend away turned very sour……with all my since gathered info. I believe I was reacting angrily to the emotional unavailability of my W. ‘No I don’t want to be too close’.

Our conversations and exchanges were going no further than curtains, colours, destinations, food, well anything that didn’t involve us, well certainly not me anyhow. I felt like a driver, a guide, a translator,a pal! Excluded. I didn’t have the VIP access, just stay behind the line please.

Nothing has changed (except my perception and understanding) and that is just the way it is.

Now despite the lack of emotional intimacy, sex has never been an issue. It has never been withheld, always possible, functional - and at the same time it has never been intimate and loving. I guess a kind of duty sex. Sometimes W. initiates….but the rules are still the same.

Is this normal……and I would be fibbing if I said it didn’t go on the ‘the reasons for staying list’, which btw has just this one entry!

Now, another thing. It happens sometimes that uB/NPD W does get the drift that she has gone too far in some respects of being nasty, and that her own behaviour  requires an act of remorse.

There is no ‘sorry’ or other direct means of redressing the situation, but her way acting remorseful is ironing (at least that is my interpretation).……and after such an episode, a pile of freshly ironed shirts (mine) will be put silently away.

There seems to be a paradox here, and maybe it is a facet of PDs? Despite her narcissistic/borderline/superior way with her intimate family in general, she can act in the opposite role and become the pleaser, and actually give something (sex and ironing).

But it makes me think am I just too picky…... sex and shirts, isn’t that enough to give life meaning. I’m trying not to be too ironic, and maybe others might find enough there, and on good days (minutes more likely) I think about my ‘staying’ list and think ah! It’s not too bad. But the bad days vastly outnumber the good!

I saw the film Gaslight (1940s) recently, and the heroine, Paula, under the ‘care’ of her manipulative husband slowly becomes accustomed and accepts her dysfunctional world. It takes an outsider, the detective, to break the spell, and explain that all doubts she had were created by her H.

I live in a world like Paula’s, and some days I get a glimpse of life beyond……... and it looks good.

Thanks for listening.

Lucky Jim

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 09:35:30 AM »

Hey earl, Why do you stay?  I doubt it's just for sex and ironed shirts!  Presumably there is some payoff for you to remain in the r/s.  What is it?  It sounds like things have been rocky since the get-go, your wedding night.  There is a paradox here, as you note, because those suffering from BPD are good at hiding their disorder and can be quite charming when they want to be.  Often the outside world has no idea what a pwBPD is like behind closed doors.  My BPDxW was known affectionately as the unofficial "Mayor" of our small town, due to her gregarious personality and humorous banter.  Little did our neighbors know what a nightmare she was to live with.  You know what I mean, I'm sure!

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
earlgrey

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 10:08:41 AM »

Presumably there is some payoff for you to remain in the r/s.  What is it?  

LuckyJim

Hey Jim, there is no pay off. Period. Emotional financial social contribution... .big fat zero.

What I believe there is, is a slowly diminishing awareness of the chaos... .like in the film Gaslight. See it if you haven't.

The charm, as you say, is disarming, coupled with the confusion etc etc. you can lose your way.

I have probably lost my way for too long.

As H2H says above, get planning. Get a date. That is what I am doing but venting here is good for me too.

Thanks to you.

Lucky Jim

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 11:35:04 AM »

Hey earl grey, keep up the good work!  Yes, posting here can be quite helpful.  Works for me!  LJ

George Bernard Shaw
earlgrey

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 06:40:06 AM »

Yes I am working on things, and I like to think things are moving in the right direction.

I am working on me, and doing my best to stop controlling situations and people, and I have a better understanding of what that is about.

Then today crash!

My W. starts checking, managing, controlling D19 (my SD) about running her car - there is stuff on another thread about car oil; it made me go "snap"!

Anyhow, I start trying to give my W. the fine ideas about stepping back, NOT controlling her D. Of course I get it in the neck for being negative and unconstructive, but the irony of the thing, I am actually trying to control my W's controlling behaviour of her D.

Not quite sure what to do here, stand back too, admire their dysfunction, watch them battle it out?

All comments much appreciated.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 07:32:19 AM »

Step 1.  Realize that you are entering a triangle and that could complicate things.

Step 2.  Have you coached your daughter on best ways to relate?  Don't do this in front of wife.

Step 3.  If you think wife's behavior is out of line, it is ok to speak to her about parenting, but do it later, in private.  Practice message ahead of time, short, simple and to the point.  It's a request, not a demand.   Perhaps even listen to her first to make sure you understand the concern.

Here is big point.  Many times there is a legit concern.  I'm a gearhead, so when I hear about people not checking oil or taking care of a machine... .I'm concerned.  When they break it, I'm involved in fix... .or guiding my boys to fix.

Boundaries apply.  d19 is adult.  Can do as she pleases.  If it is your car, then you get to say how it is used.   D19 can make choice to get her own car, or abide by rules.

I should find the other thread when I have time.

FF

SamwizeGamgee

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 08:03:24 AM »

":)19" is another way of saying adult in her own relationship with your wife... .

Let them be.

I have taught myself that when my wife gets disordered in her behavior, the only best way is to keep conversations at a maximum number of two participants.  Otherwise, you create a "drama triangle" - also known by other names, it means there is a victim, persecutor, and a rescuer.  You don't want to be any of those.

Observe if you must, follow up separately if you feel right about it.  But, in the heat of BPD conversations, there's no good to come of adding in.

IMHO.

Live like you mean it.
earlgrey

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 08:10:49 AM »

Thanks FF for your thoughts. In reply... .

Step 1... .OK

Step 2... .I talk to SD but SD fears any kind of stance against her M. will be seen as anti family and bad. I stand against M. at times on general issues, but SD never comes with me.

Step 3... .probably straight out of the B/NPD rule book... .W says 'I am not out of line'. 'You are out of line'. End of!

Here it was the car, sometimes it is boyfriend, money, eating... .but the scenario stays the same.

Mum knows better than you about what is good for you.
earlgrey

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 08:13:13 AM »

":)19" is another way of saying adult in her own relationship with your wife... .

Let them be.

Yep... .agree
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2016, 08:57:22 AM »

Earlygrey,

Talk to D19.  I just want to confirm... this is your bio daughter... .correct?  So even though she is an adult, life lessons can be presented by Dad.

Don't make it about your wife.  Make it about your daughter.  Decisions/actions based on fear of another persons reactions are generally bad decisions. 

1.  Teach her to make healthy decisions and let the rest of the world sort itself out.  Again... .this is life lesson, not lesson about your wife.  If your wife chooses to let behave in such a way to allow your daughter to apply a life lesson, that is your wife's choice, not your daughters.    Smiling (click to insert in post)     

2.  Do NOT confront your wife.  Talk to her gently... .in the right moment.  If she fires back... .don't engage.

"It would me a lot to me if you could speak in softer tones to D19"  or some other observable behavior.  Make it about a behavior, not an attitude or emotion.  Treat your wife as the adult and you need help with parenting.

Listen... .it may not work.   We'll try another tactic.

FF

earlgrey

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2016, 05:26:43 AM »

D19 is a step... .came as a package, and I mean that in the nicest possible way.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

I have tried various approaches with SD19, but again, as with her M. (my W.) we are not very close. And my suggestions* generally do not conform with their family model, so are treated with suspicion (contempt even) rather than any kind of open idea that there is something in anyway useful.

* ideas on boundaries/control etc etc

Actually I am not too interested in fixing their (W + SD) worlds... .I just want to steer myself through occasional chaos as best i can and deal with incidents in what is deemed a healthy way.

On that front 'Let them be', and avoid triangles will do it for me.

Just had a weekend away(W + D7, real D).

Was able to observe the family dynamic. Before I would have got in and challenged and complained, so i like to think of that as progress.

I'm just working on me.

I've got a date, not that kind of date, a real calendar one... .

For action!

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2016, 06:59:38 AM »

Can you lay out the family tree real quick.  I think I'm seeing a mom, dad, step D (19) and a real D (7).

Anyone else in there?  Any chance of SD19 leaving for college?. 

Basically... .trying to figure out who you "really" are responsible for.  Right now I"m seeing 1 child.

Think about the way you approach this.  "direct" seems to be rebuffed.  Perhaps it is best to pick a different time to be direct (and short) with a message.  When they are "in it" is not the time.

"It would mean a lot to me, if you and SD19 would pause your conflict to give me a chance to leave, (perhaps say something about your feelings).

See how that is pointed at you, vice them.  Don't debate it.  Perhaps it opens up a time of listening about their conflict.  Validate.  Perhaps she starts blaming you... .(exit)

FF

earlgrey

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2016, 09:05:30 AM »

Dad + bio S18 away at college (university)
Mum + bio D 19 home at college mum against D leaving home.
D7 bio D + M... .5 total.

I take care of S18, all good, and D7, all good too. D19 not so good (not so close).

Excerpt
FF "It would mean a lot to me, if you and SD19 would pause your conflict to give me a chance to leave, (perhaps say something about your feelings).

I like that. Often I have done the opposite and tried to help reslove. (FYI FWIW it didn't really work very well  Smiling (click to insert in post))

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2016, 10:45:01 AM »

Got it.

What is it about the r/s with two kids, that is missing with the step daughter?

If I was perched on your shoulder, listening and watching a 1 on 1 conversation, what would be different?

Stay away from "why" it would be different.  Write about the "what". 

We'll get to why... .later.

FF

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest