Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 28, 2024, 04:27:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Was your BPD right about you?  (Read 636 times)
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2016, 08:57:52 AM »

I don't think my ex made me doubt my sanity but certainly made me guess about what I said and what she said and if things were ever said at all - not sure if there is a formal term for that.

oh sure, as did mine. ill give you two (hopefully quick) examples that i learned from.

1. i forget the details but we were fighting and in a circular argument. i was deliberately invalidating all over the place. eventually she began to calm down and see things from my perspective, but she kept insisting "but i feel that way". "maybe youre right but i feel that way". im not sure what i said to that but it was probably just more invalidation explaining that if it didnt happen she had no reason to feel that way.

2. another circular argument, this time over different perceptions of something that occurred. she was insistent upon hers, i was insistent upon mine. only in this case, she couldnt tolerate me having another perception. shed get angrier and angrier telling me her version WAS what happened. i was a bit more level headed in this one. i told her we had two different versions of events and she was entitled to hers, i was entitled to mine, and she could get as angry as she wanted, but mine wasnt going to change. she didnt like that (ultimately i was invalidating, and it probably came off like "nyah nyah".)

its a nice metaphor for my relationship, and the second example is the kind often referred to as gaslighting. really all it was was feelings equaling fact to her, and an argument over two different versions of events. usually youll see gaslighting used in websites about "abusers" and "psychopaths", as a malicious, deliberate behavior that somehow theyve all learned how to do. youll see blogs with lists like "if your partner does these 10 things RUN" and it will be on there. at some point, any fight about different perceptions is "gaslighting" and cause to "run". in fairness, youll even see it in articles on psychology today.

is there a formal term for it? does there need to be? my second example (would help if i remembered details) provides someone with a clearer breakdown of what happened and it can be walked through, explored. you dont get much of a picture if i just tell you "my ex was gaslighting me". when i have walked examples through with other members, its usually a fight over two different perceptions of events. sure, one perspective may be distorted in many cases, though probably not always; communication breaks down in these relationships, and both parties stop hearing each other. and im sure there are literally examples where the ex said the non was crazy for their version of events, but you might call someone getting angry at you for not believing the sky is green crazy too. i did. was i gaslighting her?

the difference is subtle, but very important in terms of a balanced understanding.

I don't want to agree to this point but you are right and the T said EXACTLY this to me on multiple occasions.  

the good news is that right now, you dont have to agree. if you want to blame the therapist right now, blame the therapist right now. i probably would. i never met my exes psychiatrist and i thought after the breakup that he was either an idiot or an enabler. chances are he knew exactly what he was doing; hed known my ex for most of her life and knew her issues.

truth is, we work on what we acknowledge, want to work on, and change. we arent very prone to going to therapy to discuss what someone tells us are our issues. sometimes a therapist can nudge us in that direction. sometimes we arent ready. its also possible that the therapist had a different perspective of what the big issues were.

Yes, Yes, Yes.  But I never understood what she didn't hear.  I could use a little clarity on your insights re: moving the goal post, pulled away and shifting focus.  This does not sound so BPD but confusing as all heck to me.  What did she want me to hear?  My ask was simple, please be present about the verbal abuse stuff.  I did ask the T what was it that my ex wanted and she said "safety at any and all costs"; did my actions make her feel unsafe and unheard because of what I was asking for?

did your actions make her feel unsafe and unheard because of what you were asking for? very possible. id need examples and details.

that bit of insight from the therapist sounds pretty dead on; she was hearing, and reading between the lines which is much easier to do without the attachment and hurt; also probably easier for your ex to articulate without the attachment and hurt. money in this case might be one representation of safety. the initial bond over childhood wounds and your understanding may have been one representation of safety. its an impossible burden for one person to provide, of course, though hearing and validating that fear/need is a start.

what i see on many levels is two people trying to change each other, an extremely common dynamic in relationships. i think you were obviously more clear and direct about identifying what you wanted to change. for her it was more subtle, and fleeting, not well articulated and hard to nail down, and based on feelings, feelings prone to changing. it sounds like initially she was able to meet your needs. when she wasnt, and you felt you had met hers, you grew resentful, and for lack of a better word, fought back. it strikes me, on some levels, as similar to trying to return to the idealization phase.

if im right (correct me where im wrong) this may also have its origins in childhood.

Repetition Compulsion has come up in another session for me.  Perhaps.  I know it was true in my younger days.  As an interesting side note to this; before I met my now ex wife I had shared a lot of dating stories with a friend and told her how unfulfilled I felt.  She asked me, then why do you keep dating women that you know you don't want a long term r/s with?  Hit me like a ton of lead.  Which made me change course and then lead me to be more open and a relationship with my now ex.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2016, 09:05:40 AM »

that sums it up for me as well. with every girl ive dated, i felt beforehand that i "knew better". something about it seemed right, and easier though. so much of why we choose partners is unconscious or subconscious. there are many reasons we may choose an emotionally unavailable partner. when we find them, its incredibly freeing.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
joeramabeme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: In process of divorcing

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2016, 09:23:22 PM »

its a nice metaphor for my relationship, and the second example is the kind often referred to as gaslighting. really all it was was feelings equaling fact to her, and an argument over two different versions of events. usually youll see gaslighting used in websites about "abusers" and "psychopaths", as a malicious, deliberate behavior that somehow theyve all learned how to do. youll see blogs with lists like "if your partner does these 10 things RUN" and it will be on there. at some point, any fight about different perceptions is "gaslighting" and cause to "run". in fairness, youll even see it in articles on psychology today.

. . . you dont get much of a picture if i just tell you "my ex was gaslighting me". when i have walked examples through with other members, its usually a fight over two different perceptions of events. . .
the difference is subtle, but very important in terms of a balanced understanding.

I see the distinction you are making here and it is a good one.  I can't say for others, but I am sure that I was being "gaslit" as well.  Example; I asked her to hand me my gym bag - bag was whipped at me creating a mess - she storms out and comes back 2 hours later apologizing and explaining that she felt threatened - next morning I say thank you for explaining this - she says, I never said anything like that you are making it all up and gets very angry with me. 

This is one of many examples.  Even so, given your clearly articulate delineation; I realize that I have been using the gaslighting term as a broad basket that includes differences in perceptions that probably do not qualify as gaslighting.  This is very helpful.

. we arent very prone to going to therapy to discuss what someone tells us are our issues.
LOL!  I did!

did your actions make her feel unsafe and unheard because of what you were asking for? very possible. id need examples and details.

what i see on many levels is two people trying to change each other, an extremely common dynamic in relationships. i think you were obviously more clear and direct about identifying what you wanted to change. for her it was more subtle, and fleeting, not well articulated and hard to nail down, and based on feelings, feelings prone to changing. it sounds like initially she was able to meet your needs. when she wasnt, and you felt you had met hers, you grew resentful, and for lack of a better word, fought back. it strikes me, on some levels, as similar to trying to return to the idealization phase.

if im right (correct me where im wrong) this may also have its origins in childhood.

My recollection is almost the inverse of what you say; I thought she met my needs very well and that I could not meet hers.  No matter how hard I tried she wasn't happy about . . . me.  Everything I was and did was fair game for berating me.  Shows I watched, music I liked, food I ate, how much I went to the gym, where I went with friends, my habits, what I wore, the meds I took, how I spoke etc.   

She and I are about a half inch difference of height, in her favor.  She would walk up to me eye to eye and lift her head up in the air and say; "Joe where are you, I can't see you".  It was all fun and games to me at first as I took it in good fun and jest.  But as I absorbed more of the context of never ending 'everything about you needs to change'; it all became very uncomfortable.  I used to let her slap me up side the head - I grew up around this and it was standard behavior - but I remember the last time she did it and I stood up and looked her in the eye and said 'never do that again'.  It stopped being fun and lighthearted and turned into a statement of superiority in the name of fear. 

I know she loved me and yet I guess whatever fears she had made her feel a need to keep me down one (or more) notches.  Where my needs did not get met was just getting her to stop the berating and blaming me for almost everything which triggered me and kept us from reaching our marital goals. And in that way, we surely had a stranglehold on one another that neither could release.

In her own way, she did an awesome job responding to my requests. She was wonderfully loving and caring and simply my soul mate and life partner.  I truly miss all of that in a very big way.  We just couldn't stop the arguments and I really wanted the therapist to tell her to stop being abusive and instead got what sounds to me like a lot rationalizing mumbo jumbo. 

There are times when I think through all of this and ask myself; is this really BPD?  Or am I just overreacting to someone who was insecure and therefore being insecure myself.

It's hard to believe that this seemingly simple detail is what has pulled us apart.  Well I guess she literally "can't see me now" and for whatever the reason, it is what she really wanted.

Once again, thank you Once Removed

JRB
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2016, 08:42:32 AM »

Example; I asked her to hand me my gym bag - bag was whipped at me creating a mess - she storms out and comes back 2 hours later apologizing and explaining that she felt threatened - next morning I say thank you for explaining this - she says, I never said anything like that you are making it all up and gets very angry with me. 

people with BPD use a variety of tools to deflect and ward off responsibility and/or cling to their own reality: compartmentalizing, splitting, in more extreme states dissociation. feelings=fact can certainly stretch to the point of delusion. its all defensive.

i had someone close to me once tell me in a rare moment of great vulnerability that they "probably have a mental disorder". i brought it up not long after. instant, total denial that any such thing was ever said. this is pretty common.

LOL!  I did!

so what drove you to do that? were the issues raised valid? were you doubting your own perceptions? was it an honest effort to clean up your side of the street? leading by example? effort to win her over? what?

There are times when I think through all of this and ask myself; is this really BPD?  Or am I just overreacting to someone who was insecure and therefore being insecure myself.

most of us were with partners relatively low on the spectrum (the higher functioning variety), or who would not qualify for a diagnosis, though they may have pronounced traits of the disorder(s) and those effected us and the relationship greatly. thats where we want to focus: what caused us pain? what was unacceptable?

were you dealing with someone insecure? certainly sounds like it, and her behavior was abusive. are you overreacting? i dont think so; and standing up and saying "never do that again" to anyone slapping you upside the head is a good response, in my opinion. in many ways, by our boundaries, we teach people how to treat us and not to treat us. its a challenge to affect a change when we assert boundaries retroactively, though better late than never. having said that, boundaries are about us: what we will and wont do. protesting abusive behavior may still be tolerating it.

you have good reason to be angry joe. what i meant by a mix of anger and resolve is that i think youre self aware in your anger and using it to move you forward. its productive. and at the same time, youre exploring your role, your self, what you can learn, take with you, and change. that facilitates the real growth as the anger helps us detach and then subsides.

joeramabeme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: In process of divorcing

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2016, 04:01:59 PM »

LOL!  I did!

so what drove you to do that? were the issues raised valid? were you doubting your own perceptions? was it an honest effort to clean up your side of the street? leading by example? effort to win her over? what?

Would like to continue hearing the remainder of your thoughts but this next part is too personal for a public post.  I will PM you my response.

JRB
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest