Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 05, 2024, 12:45:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What trigger?  (Read 367 times)
luckyclover

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: August 29, 2016, 12:58:32 AM »

I am now 19 weeks of NC and feel better with every week. But i think i will never forget this experiance and stop think about it and maybe thats just good in some way. Learn to life with it. But now i was thinking.

What trigger them?

Why and what let this happen that they just dony care and are totally diffrent persone when the wake up one day. The maybe were planning our marrige evening before but all gone day after.

I think most about three things

1. I had a small car accident. Just went off the road did not hurt myself or the car. But did not tell her untill day after and she was mad about it that i did not tell her earlyer beacuse i could have died.

2. She had new girl friend and liked her alot just day after they meet for first time. Could she have change her somehow.

3. We called often and one time she called and i could not talk beacuse i was in small party in my work but could talk one hour later.

This all happend close to the day she changed to not like me any more. What do you think? What triggers?
enlighten me

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 02:28:20 AM »

In a lot of cases the pwBPD has decided things are over before the discard.

The new friend is just that someone new and shiny and exciting. Imagine it as a child being excited over a new toy.

The car accident and party probably felt as if she wasnt important to you.

I dont think these incidents are the cause of the break up they just add more weight to her decision.

With BPD it could be something as simple as the way you butter your toast that starts the devaluation. Once started then more and more is added to what they see as your negative traits until eventually you become devalued.

schwing
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married to a non

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 11:30:32 AM »

Hi Luckyclover,

What trigger them?

From what I've learned about borderline (which countries calls this "mermaid syndrome?" I think that is clever) personality disorder (BPD), feelings of family, closeness and intimacy are all triggers for people with BPD (pwBPD). So this is why, in the beginning, there are not so many triggers. Because in the beginning, you are not too close, too intimacy, not yet like family. But when you spend more time with them, then you get more and more triggers.

Why and what let this happen that they just dony care and are totally diffrent persone when the wake up one day. The maybe were planning our marrige evening before but all gone day after.

In the U.S. one of the criteria for the diagnosis of BPD is "identity disturbance" which means for pwBPD identity or personality may not be stable. Sometimes when pwBPD are with different persons, they become (also) different persons. And in your case, one day she was planning your marriage (very close, very intimate, very familial) and that becomes a trigger for fear, fear that you will *abandon* her (even only in her imagination). Then suddenly, she believes she must leave you before you leave her. And so she becomes a "totally different person."

1. I had a small car accident. Just went off the road did not hurt myself or the car. But did not tell her untill day after and she was mad about it that i did not tell her earlyer beacuse i could have died.

For pwBPD, even dying is like abandonment. If you die, you leave her. So because you almost die. She believes you almost left her, almost abandoned her. So she got triggered.

2. She had new girl friend and liked her alot just day after they meet for first time. Could she have change her somehow.

Brand new friend means no triggers. So she likes to be with people who do not trigger her. And being with different persons, means she becomes different person.

3. We called often and one time she called and i could not talk beacuse i was in small party in my work but could talk one hour later.

Another quality of pwBPD is "lack of object constancy" which almost means no emotional memory. So when you are near her, she can see you and see that you love her. But, when she cannot see you, she does not remember that you love her and always needs reminders. This is why she sometimes calls you and needs to hear your voice. Because something triggered her fear, and she cannot remember your love. And if you do not remind her, then believes you will leave her, you will abandon her. So before you leave her, she leaves you first.

This all happend close to the day she changed to not like me any more. What do you think? What triggers?

I think all of these are possible triggers. I hope what I write helps you.

Best wishes,

Schwing

Lucky Jim

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 12:19:27 PM »

Hey Lucky, Agree w/Schwing.  Would also add that, in my experience, it's impossible to predict what will trigger an emotional explosion, which is why it feels like walking on eggshells, or walking through a mine field.  I describe it as a dark cloud appearing out of a clear blue sky, with no advance warning.  Things can turn on a dime.  I suggest you avoid ruminating on what you might have done to trigger her reaction, because if not the things you listed, it would have been something else, so don't beat yourself up!  You did the best you could.

LJ

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
JerryRG

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 12:21:54 PM »

My exgf talking about her ex husband and how he annoyed her, the one incident that she brought up most was the fact he had stinky feet (construction worker) and how he dare put his feet on her pillow.

Don't take much to begin the process of disguard, she just decided he just wasn't her type, after marring him.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest