Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 10:56:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Honesty  (Read 368 times)
Harlygirl

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: September 16, 2016, 10:02:14 AM »

How do I talk to my BPDbf, also a recovering alcoholic, about my concerns that he may not be being honest with himself, or therefore, me as well, that he may have become complacent, less focused on, attending AA meetings, and the importance of staying connected to that community of support to maintain sobriety?  He recently relapsed, picking up to drink, last weekend, after over a year of sobriety.  He has spoken with friends, and myself regarding this, but hasn't gone to an AA meeting to "share" this among folks he has shared with before. My concern is that his mindset is that it is not necessary for him anymore, that he no longer sees himself as someone who is in the same place, somewhat above that, so to speak?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Meili

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 11:44:57 AM »

Have you tried the D.E.A.R.M.A.N. Technique? Do you think that it might work in your situation?
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 04:07:36 PM »

Relapse is hard to watch, hard to bear witness to it.

Has he relapsed before? What were the conditions happening around him, to him, etc. when he began his last year of sobriety?

It seems a good sign that he talked to you about relapsing. How did he bring it up? What happened when he drank?

Breathe.
SettingBorders

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 04:16:30 AM »

It's really a good sign that he didn't hide the relapse from you. Seems like he expects you not to harm his intentions. So now as you know, you need to talk about it with him very soon. Do that in a calm moment and lovingly, as he might feel lots of guilt. And you don't want to get connected to that guilt in any way.

Have you tried to ask him about his feelings about the relapse? This is a good way to start such a conversation. Then you could state, that you are concerned and why. Then, if there is enough insight, you could ask him for possible solutions, or how the AA philosophy would deal with it. - - - Just some ideas. Good luck.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest