Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 07:33:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD ex gf has contacted me...  (Read 380 times)
keepitmovin

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: September 29, 2016, 04:09:49 PM »

My BPD ex-GF and I broke up approximately a month ago - we were together about a year.  I cared about her very much and we were engaged to be married, but I did not see a happy future with this person.  She told me she had BPD and exhibited all the signs - always hot and cold, constant temper tantrums over minor things like laundry and how I cooked the eggs are a few of many examples.  She constantly devalued me while comparing me to her ex bfs, always playing the victim, constantly sick, delusions of grandeur, not being able to hold a job for more than a few months - everyone was out to get her.  I am not a pushover and almost always called out her BS.

Her last message (less than 2 weeks after breakup) before her recent contact went something like this - ":)ear ... ., I am pregnant and engaged to be married.  I hope you find someone that suites your lifestyle.  Please do not contact me."

Anyhow, last night and today I received several messages stating how she's in trouble and needs my help.  That she needs to live with me... .  I have not responded.

what the heck?

I know there's no romantic future with this person, but was wondering if I should engage her in hopes to convince her to get the help/treatment she needs as I still care about her well being.  Is it my best option to continue to ignore her and be thankful that she's out of my life?
Lucky Jim

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 05:15:03 PM »

Hey keepitmovin, I am uncertain why you are considering taking on this project.  In other words, why would you want to dive back into the BPD soup?  Hey, it's toxic in there!  On some level you already know that, yet something seems to be drawing you back in.  What is it?

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
bunny4523

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 05:18:22 PM »

Hi,

This is an easy one, 1, 2, 3... .

First of all, don't try and figure her out.  She isn't well and you have better things to focus on  - YOURSELF
Second of all, she can get treatment on her own.  She doesn't need your help for that.  
Third, yes exactly... .ignore her and be thankful she is out of your life.

Pleassse

It is very nice of you to care about helping someone but remember that it is also your weaknesses that keeps you attached to the dysfunction.  It's a cycle.  Read posts of people on this site who have gone through recycling.  Read until your head spins and you want nothing to do with it.

You will find the right person one day but you need to make sure you are mentally and emotionally ready to handle her... .get to work!

Bunny

VitaminC

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 08:28:47 PM »

Hi keepitmovin,

First of all, I'd like to say Welcome

I'm glad you found us!

How have you been since the break-up? Did you initiate it? I am sure that the decision to do so, if I understood you correctly, could not have been an easy one and that the subsequent message 2 weeks after the break-up must have caused you some pain.

A month out of the relationship with someone you were engaged to be married to is not long at all. Do you feel that you could engage with your ex in a way that could help her without becoming entangled yourself? Is that what you want?

If she is aware of her BPD, has she gone about treatment at all, do you know? This is not something you or anyone else will be able to do more than gently encourage her to do.

Her getting back in touch with you now is something to be wary of, in my opinion, and you would do well to check in with yourself and where you're at in your own healing process very carefully.

Perhaps you might have a look through some of the resources here on this site? The sidebar here on the right ---> is a good place to start.  If you're in a rush Smiling (click to insert in post) click on number 4 https://bpdfamily.com/deciding_guide/04.htm

Do post more and tell us more of your story. 
keepitmovin

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 09:31:50 PM »

I appreciate all the feedback.  She continues to contact me, but I have not responded and don't plan to as I realize how miserable I was with this person.  It was actually affecting me physically.  I would often get this sinking feeling in my chest that I'm no longer having.  I really hope she doesn't show up at my place and I do hope she figures things out. 

Do enjoy your weekend.
formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 02:55:30 PM »

Solid plan.  You have no responsibility to her or for her.

FF

Dontknow88

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 09:00:46 PM »

I appreciate all the feedback.  She continues to contact me, but I have not responded and don't plan to as I realize how miserable I was with this person.  It was actually affecting me physically.  I would often get this sinking feeling in my chest that I'm no longer having.  I really hope she doesn't show up at my place and I do hope she figures things out. 

Do enjoy your weekend.

Welcome! & im sorry this happened to you but yes I agree, leave it alone. It will only confuse you and to get help she will have to want it first. Take care
Lucky Jim

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 11:23:38 AM »

Excerpt
I realize how miserable I was with this person.  It was actually affecting me physically.  I would often get this sinking feeling in my chest that I'm no longer having.

Hey keepit,  Right, a BPD r/s can negatively affect one's health.  You don't need that kind of stress.  It's nice to be free of that sinking feeling, isn't it?  You may hear back from her so be prepared to keep good boundaries.

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest