Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 10:24:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: She was on best behavior last night  (Read 409 times)
formflier
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: October 06, 2016, 07:31:40 AM »

All went fine at church dinner and Wed night classes.

I've picked up an interesting class at church that I will be doing for next 6-7 weeks.  The class is about determining your priorities as a man.  Organizing and putting those down on paper and then comparing how you spend your time with your priorities.

My hope is that this class will help me focus more on what matters (launching emotionally healthy kids into the world) and focus less on the crazyness that comes along with having a paranoid person in your house.

FF

KateCat

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 09:02:49 AM »

My hope is that this class will help me focus more on what matters (launching emotionally healthy kids into the world) and focus less on the crazyness that comes along with having a paranoid person in your house.

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) Earlier you wrote of identifying the "chest wound" in your family and tending to it. . . . May I call your psychologist "The Miracle Worker?"
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 10:48:26 AM »

Somehow I need to get less invested in and aware of boundary enforcement... .put that more and more on automatic.  Basically just do it.

And more invested in other things such as leading my family to a better view of themselves and their world.

Is the world a confusing and sometimes dangerous place that you can "make a difference in"... .a difference for good.

or

Is the world a confusing and sometimes dangerous place that needs to be avoided, that is scary and has control over your life... .

Having a good day at home alone today, reading... .thinking about things and trying to take good care of me.  About to go out for lunch... .just because. 

Going back to my original thought.  Perhaps there is still a distrust or unbelief that boundaries can really protect what matters.  Perhaps there is still shock that my wife will continue to test my boundaries. 

What would my life be like once I get to the point that a boundary enforcement is barely noticed (by me anyway) versus now when I'm still sort of offended (or take it personally).

Big thoughts... .nice day here.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

FF

MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Together five years, ended suddenly June 2011

Players only love you when they're playing...

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 01:39:52 PM »

Excerpt
Perhaps there is still shock that my wife will continue to test my boundaries. 

What would my life be like once I get to the point that a boundary enforcement is barely noticed (by me anyway) versus now when I'm still sort of offended (or take it personally).

Good questions!

I've struggled with similar.

One quote that has stuck with me for years now is by Al Turtle, a very seasoned, older psychologist (I believe he has a military background, too ?)  that has a website were he shares his years of wisdom in working with couples. 

"All people are chronically disobedient---learn to live with it."

empath

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 03:12:33 PM »

Excerpt
Perhaps there is still shock that my wife will continue to test my boundaries.

What is behind the 'shock' that she continues to violate your boundaries? Is there an idea that it 'should' be different, that she 'should' be different?

Lucky Jim

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 04:11:08 PM »

Hey ff, what was the difference?  Why was she on best behavior?  LJ

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 04:35:28 PM »

FF real change takes time.

It may be that your wife isn't consistent with her moods/behavior. It may fluctuate with her cycle ( which is likely fluctuating now too ).

Most people are not on their best behavior all the time. People get tired, hungry, stressed.

One week after the incident last week isn't enough time for significant change. Why she was on her best behavior one night is anyone's guess. But a real change in your relationship will be in how the two of you interact as your moods fluctuate. It isn't that your wife is being good or not good. It is that the two of you have good times and can navigate the rougher times. It is also that, so long as you are comfortable with the boundaries- she can feel pissy sometimes and it is OK. So can you.

Also keep in mind that while "good behavior" is a good think in general, people can behave well for a variety of reasons. She might be scared, or upset about what happened and still be on her best behavior.

Believe it or not ,even pwBPD can WOE if they are afraid of the consequences of upsetting their partner.

Can there be space in your home for the two of you to be who you are, even as your moods fluctuate? You mentioned needing accommodations for your disability and sleep hygiene. Your wife could need a safe space for when she is feeling moody like the other day.I don't mean a physical space necessarily, but some emotional space where it isn't required she be on top of her behavior all the time.

Some people test boundaries. It is who they are. They need firm, but kind and consistent boundaries.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 09:09:11 AM »

Hey ff, what was the difference?  Why was she on best behavior?  LJ

I certainly don't want to start thinking that I "caused" her to be on best behavior.  I upheld my boundary... .things went from there.

So... who knows.  The difference in her demeanor was huge.

I enjoyed it... and haven't brought up last week.  Don't plan to unless she ever brings it up again.

FF

Lucky Jim

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 09:21:07 AM »

Excerpt
I upheld my boundary... .things went from there.  So... who knows.  The difference in her demeanor was huge.

Hey ff, well done.  Boundary enforcement with a pwBPD is an ongoing project, in my view, so keep up the good work and continue to protect those boundaries, which are likely to be challenged again soon.

LJ

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest