Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 07:24:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how do you introduce your parents to stepkids?  (Read 342 times)
soundofmusicgirl

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« on: October 24, 2016, 02:06:12 AM »

This year for christmas (hopefully) my step children will meet my parents for the first time in person.
How have you introduced your parents to them? Grandparents? First names?
catclaw

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 05:22:10 AM »

Hey  
Welcome on board! Smiling (click to insert in post))

Well, my parents were introduced by their first names. As Ss9 spends much time with my mom (she's at home when ss comes home from school and waits for dh or me to arrive so ss isn't on his own), they have a really strong bond and depending on the situation, he calls her "grandma". Mostly in public though, because he hates explaining his familiar situation to other people. As for my dad, they sometimes meet and do stuff together and he sometimes calls him grandpa, also depending on the situation. It was up to ss (and still is) to choose how he calls certain people in his extended family, but we always introduce them by their first names and say something like "this is xy and he is something similar to your cousin/ aunt/ grandparent from catclaws family's side".
Fie

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Single

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 06:18:45 AM »

Hello,

To me those things should not be forced. So I would not introduce them as 'grandma' - 'grandpa'.
I would use the first name. If after some time they get a good bound with your children, then you could try to introduce some alternative for 'grandma/grandpa'. You could then ask your children on how they would like to call them. (something in the line as 'Well, X and Y have been around now for some time, they feel a bit like new family right ? Should we call them ... .and ... .?'

The father of my child is married to a lovely lady, and my daughter calls her by her first name. She refers to her as her as 'steph mum' though (although personally I am not too fond of that term, but anyway, it's her choice). To the new cousins she refers to as 'cousins', too.

I think how they call them is not that important. Most important is that they can choose, and that they have extra people in their lives who love them. There's never too many of those  :-)
DreamGirl
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

Do. Or do not. There is no try.

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 11:14:03 AM »

Everyone calls my mom and dad, Nana and Papa. The kids, stepkids, myexH's kids with his wife now. Everyone. My kiddos call their stepmom's parents by their first name. It usually just comes organically.

I do think that grandparents are far less "threatening" to a mama. I mean grandparents' jobs are to spoil kids anyways. Smiling (click to insert in post)   

"What I want is what I've not got, and what I need is all around me." ~Dave Matthews

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest