Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 09:24:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Beware of Junk Psychology... Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's true. Not all blogs and online "life coaches" are reliable, accurate, or healthy for you. Remember, there is no oversight, no competency testing, no registration, and no accountability for many sites - it is up to you to qualify the resource. Learn how to navigate this complicated arena...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clouded Memories  (Read 390 times)
JJacks0

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: December 03, 2016, 02:44:35 AM »

I've realized for a while now that I have a hard time remembering a lot of my interactions with my ex.

We were in a 7 year relationship, lived together nearly the entire time, and yet I'm struggling to remember a lot of it.

I can remember really BIG things, like what happened during rages (actions, mainly) and of course I can remember fun things we did, events, things like that.
But if you asked me what words were exchanged in arguments, I probably couldn't tell you.

A lot of my memories just feel clouded and hazy. I'm sure if I had journaled at the time, rereading it would remind me, but whenever I did I always threw them away so she wouldn't see.  

Has anyone else experienced this?
I know it's been said that people with BPD themselves often forget things that happened during a rage, etc. but what about their partners?

Part of the reason I started thinking about this is because I was trying to recall all the negative things that have happened. But I can never remember much as far as actual conversations. I'll remember her breaking things or tying a noose for example, but I can't remember why it got to that point, what she said or even what I said. I wish I could, because I think it would help. Sometimes the inability to remember makes me question if I said something really stupid or did something that triggered her. It makes it harder for me to determine if I handled things well or not.

Once in a while I'll get a random memory that I had totally forgotten about and I'll try to think back and figure out why it happened, but I usually can't.
Maybe this is common and isn't as weird as it feels. Just curious to see if others relate.

eden33

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 03:55:02 AM »

Jacks,

I've been feeling the same way after my break up. Journaling was actually something that I used to cope with the ups and downs of my relationship, and I have about a year's worth of arguments written down. It might sound strange, but it doesn't help much looking back on everything that's happened. I read and read but like you said, I don't understand how we got there. Maybe we're blocking those kind of memories out, and were in a kind of survival-mode? I'm sorry I don't have answers. I just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Also, I know that it's easy to slip into blaming yourself for getting into arguments and second-guessing what you did. I'm sure you handled things as best as you possibly could.

Have a good day!
JJacks0

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 04:42:22 AM »

Thanks eden!

It does help to know someone can relate.

One time I mentioned to my T that I couldn't really remember a lot of things, to which she said, "Of course you don't, why would you want to?" So she seems to hold the notion that I've intentionally forgotten.

I wasn't sure that was the case though, as it seems a little extreme and I do remember the big things.
I don't know.

Regardless, thanks for sharing, I appreciate it!

Lonely_Astro

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 03:50:20 PM »

Time has a way of sneaking in the good stuff and pushing out the bad. It's called nostalgia. We all experience it at some point.  For instance, my ex did a lot of bad things to me. I don't really recall the feelings of how badly I was hurt by her. Yes, I remember that I was hurt, but I don't "feel" it like I did in the moment.

As time passes, what I remember most was the good times we had. I often counter that nostalgia with following it up with something she did that was bad to me.  But, essentially, it's our minds putting the bad stuff away so we can move on and not be stuck remembering how crummy we were treated.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest