Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 05:06:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Poll
Question: As someone who read this book, how do you rate it?
Excellent - 0 (0%)
Good - 0 (0%)
Fair - 0 (0%)
Poor - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diagnosing and Treating Co-Dependence - Timmen Cermack, MD  (Read 1975 times)
Skip
Site Director

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: January 01, 2017, 03:48:53 AM »

Diagnosing and Treating Co-Dependence
Author: Timmen Cermack, MD
Publisher: Hazelden Publishing (September 15, 1998)
Paperback: 132 pages
ISBN-10: 0585149828
ISBN-13: 978-0935908329

See also Codependent No more

About the Book
This book paved the way for a Twelve-step take-off program, called Co-Dependents Anonymous. The first Co-Dependents Anonymous meeting was held October 22, 1986.

Diagnosing and Treating Co-Dependence is a guide for professionals who work with chemical dependents, their spouses and children. With so many definitions of co-dependence, it can be hard to tell which is most valid. Cermak clears the confusion and presents clear diagnostic criteria that correspond directly with accepted psychiatric/psychological concepts but also describes ways of treating co-dependence that extends beyond current approaches.

The codependency movement may have its roots in the theories of German psychoanalyst Karen Horney. In 1941, she proposed that some people adopt what she termed a "Moving Toward" personality style to overcome their basic anxiety. Essentially, these people move toward others by gaining their approval and affection, and unconsciously control them through their dependent style. Al-Anon was formed in 1951, 16 years after Alcoholics Anonymous was founded. Al-Anon holds the view that alcoholism is a family illness and is one of the earliest recognitions of codependency.

The expansion of the meaning of codependency happened very publicly. Janet G. Woititz's Adult Children of Alcoholics had come out in 1983 and sold two million copies while being on the New York Times bestseller list for forty-eight weeks.

Robin Norwood's Women Who Love Too Much, 1985, sold two and a half million copies and spawned Twelve Step groups across the country for women "addicted" to men.

Melody Beattie further popularized the concept of codependency in 1986 with the book Codependent No More which sold eight million copies.

In 1986, Timmen Cermak, M.D. wrote Diagnosing and Treating Co-Dependence: A Guide for Professionals. In the book and an article published in the Journal of Psychoactive Drugs (Volume 18, Issue 1, 1986), Cermak argued (unsuccessfully) for the inclusion of codependency as a separate personality disorder in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-III-R; American Psychiatric Association, 1987).

About the Author
Timmen Cermak, M.D. is in private practice of psychiatry and addiction psychiatry, San Francisco and Marin County. He is the Medical director and psychiatric consultant for the Henry Ohlhoff Programs in San Francisco (30-day residential, day treatment, 6-month halfway house and full range of outpatient chemical dependence services). He is also a Murray Hill Communications consultant for Recoveryconnection.com, a recovery-oriented website

Cermak has a B.A., Philosophy, Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, and an M.D. from Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio.

Certifications: Diploma, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Certificate of Added Qualification in Addiction Psychiatry
Certified by the American Society of Addiction Medicine

muller@12
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: broken up

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 05:55:29 AM »

Can I recover myself from co-dependence and what could be the best treatment for this. Further what is the best place for gyms to go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions