Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 11:40:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Expert insight for adult children
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
How to spot a liar
Pamela Meyer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back here after four months  (Read 346 times)
anyplacesafe

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married

« on: January 16, 2017, 10:08:04 AM »

Hi all. It's been a while but I'm back (hey Woolspinner2000 !)

You may remember me - I have a BPD mother and was really struggling in the run-up to my wedding. Well, the wedding went well & things seem to be okay, I thought my mum was respecting my new boundaries and so on.

But it's like - flies on food, or a buzzing in the room, or a sense of cold air coming under a door. She's going back to her old ways. I am so exhausted and unready to deal with that!
Naughty Nibbler

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 11:25:20 AM »

Hi Anyplacesafe:   
Congrats on the wedding!  I'm so glad that you mom didn't ruin it.

I went into a "forgive and forget" mode with my uBPD sister.  It didn't take long for me to be painted black again (likely never left the black mode, just reduced in intensity for a few weeks).  The harsh reality for most of us will be that the BPD behaviors won't disappear.  They may take a vacation and be tamed for a period of time.

Boundaries will always be important for you.  You will need to be consistent in enforcing them, and will need to keep modifying some and then create new ones.

What are some of her current unpleasant behaviors?

Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 08:18:20 PM »

Hey Anyplacesafe!

Nice to see you back! 

Yes, unfortunately a pwBPD struggles to self regulate, usually at the cost of those around them. As you saw through the wedding planning, desperate times of self regulating were quite encompassing for you. What types of things do you see happening right now, and why do you think she is struggling (which in turn causes you to struggle and scramble to make sense of it all)?

Please tell me how you have grown and what you have been learning since you were last here!

Wools

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
catlady6

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 02:11:13 PM »

I'm so sorry-- it's so awful to think a BPD has recovered and then see them go back to the old patterns.

Has your mom gotten therapy? Is she on medication? If you have a calm moment with her, maybe suggest an inpatient facility or an outpatient program where she's occupied?

I feel like some BPD behaviors start because the person is bored or wants attention. giving in and giving them the attention they want-- be it fighting or consoling them or whatever-- seems like it encourages the behavior they do :/ if she starts being inappropriate again, maybe consider pulling back contact-wise until the behavior stops. (Of course that depends on your own comfort level... i know how hard it can be to do that... )

currently dealing with something similar. i wish you the best. i hope things get better for you.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest