Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 08:41:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Popular books with members
Surviving a
Borderline Parent

Emotional Blackmail
Fear, Obligation, and Guilt
When Parents Make
Children Their Partners
Healing the
Shame That Binds You

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: my daughter and infant child "escaped" BPD son-in-law  (Read 354 times)
kitkat##
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« on: January 17, 2017, 08:06:15 PM »

Hi all,
It's been a wild ride.  My daughter and infant child showed up at my door 4 months ago.  My BPD son-in-law had become severely emotionally abusive and alcoholic. He's also a master manipulator and pathological liar (from little white lies to real doozies).  She has filed for legal separation.  He now says that he believes that he is suffering from BPD and has initiated therapy.  He asked her to go along to the intake session that lasted over two hours during which she "helped" him tell the therapist the truth about why he was there.  He wants her to be involved in his therapy, whatever that means, and while she wants to keep her distance, she did promise to support him and help him stay in therapy.  My concern is that he's using the therapy and her involvement as a ruse to keep her close and keep her from filing for divorce.  (He's a classic BPD case:  gaslighting, lying (wow, the stuff he comes up with), manipulating, verbal abuse, raging and cycling, paranoia, and so much more). I'm telling my daughter that she shouldn't be involved at all; that if he's truly sincere about therapy, he'll commit to it  even if she isn't in the picture.  Her involvement will keep her from focusing on her own recovery as a codependent, which is, I fear, exactly what he wants. 
Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 09:39:36 PM »

Welcome Kitkat##! 

I am very glad you have found us here to help and support you.   hugs for you as it sounds like such an intense few months, not to mention what must have gone on before this time. How long were they married?

I can also understand the concerns you have given how the situation is unfolding. A couple important questions for you: Does your D have a T that she is seeing who is trained or familiar with BPD? And for you, are you able to seek advice and guidance as well? First and foremost is the concern for safety for you and your D and grandchild. There is a great section to the right of the board where you can start. ----->>   If you click on any of the sentences, another window opens up with more information.

You will find lots of helpful information at our site and a welcoming, understanding family. I look forward to hearing from you again!

Wools

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 10:48:36 PM »

With a child involved,  there are certainly more issues,  both emotional and legal. 

What are your daughter's thoughts on this?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest