Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 02:14:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rare Occurence  (Read 373 times)
Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: January 18, 2017, 08:13:44 AM »

My H just apologized for being passive aggressive! I think I might pass out from surprise. 

So this morning he was amped up. Over the last few days I could tell he's been looking for a fight and I have successfully dodged them. I almost stepped in a landmine this morning. He wanted to talk about subjects that ramped him up--politics, religion, philosophy. I added to the conversation a little, but I hate having these conversations first thing in the morning. I mean, let me get some coffee in before talking please? So then the bomb got thrown, "You aren't listening to me." My response was, "I added to the conversation just a minute ago. You were talking and I was listening." He couldn't respond to that because it was true. He continued to talk a little longer and began to work himself up a little more.

I tried to change the subject and asked if we could do our morning Bible reading together. He began to accuse me of only wanting to do what I wanted to do. He wants to talk, but what he wants to do gets ignored for the sake of what I want to do. I told him I was a little confused because I thought he enjoyed us reading the Bible together each morning (because he told me he did ljust 2 days before). He said, "You can read it, but I"m going to talk while you are reading." I said, "If you do not want to read it right now that's ok. We can talk and read it later this afternoon. You just have to say so." He ignored my statement and continued with the conversation. I knew this was the best I was going to get and engaged in the conversation. I actually enjoyed it. I could see his mood lift a little. When I left for work, he had calmed himself quite a bit.

I texted him just a little bit ago, and I told him "I enjoyed our conversation this morning."
His response, "Thanks. Sorry for being passive aggressive about it."

Can someone help me parse this out? What did I do right in this conversation?  I know one thing for sure is that I did not JADE, but I've stopped doing that for the most part. Anything else you can see here? I want to try to repeat whatever it is in the future.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 09:01:23 AM »

Nice job  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Throughout the conversation you reassure him that you want emotional closeness with him, and give examples of ways that you are working to do that, without judging his contradictory statements, and also without letting him run right over you.

Reassuring, and gentle, while being firm.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

LnL

Breathe.
Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 09:02:45 AM »

Nice job  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Throughout the conversation you reassure him that you want emotional closeness with him, and give examples of ways that you are working to do that, without judging his contradictory statements, and also without letting him run right over you.

Reassuring, and gentle, while being firm.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

LnL

Wow! I didn't even notice I was doing that. Thanks!

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

Healthy88

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 04:42:41 PM »

TH,

Thanks so much for sharing! Amazing job and encouraging for the rest of us, that when one partner changes their interactions it can change the other partner's responses. The, you can only control you part, so refreshing to see it actually applied successfully.
Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 05:39:27 PM »

My H just apologized for being passive aggressive! I think I might pass out from surprise. 

Prior history is him trying to engage you--negatively since it seems to be what he knows how to do--and you used to let him pull you in that way. When you did it, he was able to distract himself and avoid whatever feeling he originally had by distracting himself with the conflict with you.

When you take that away from him, it gives him some room to see what he was doing, since you don't "cooperate" in giving him a distraction. Thus he had a bit of self awareness  Thought

The way this kind of progress works is that you cannot MAKE him grow or learn like this. You can't even do much to lead him to it. You can stop participating in what he does to stay stuck. And someday he may well figure things like this out.

I remember a day years back that I got the first sincere apology for something my wife had said or done to me. It was a shock. I'd heard the words "I'm sorry" many times before, but they were usually in the form of "I'm sorry I'm such an awful person." which isn't a real apology.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest