Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 04, 2024, 10:15:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DAD with 24 years married with 2 younger kids  (Read 166 times)
meNOTme
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: October 01, 2024, 01:02:16 PM »

Paragraph header  (click to insert in post)
Hello,
My first post into this community. I saw this on a reddit forum and decided to check it out.
I've been married for 24 years (at 21) with someone 9 years older then me and along the marriage I was feeling like I was not doing enough. Trying to be a good husband and "pleasing" my wife. Little did I know that she was manipulating me.
There is A LOT of things that have been happening, but the financial situation has really been tough with her.
Also, worrying if I get her upset, she will take it out on the kids. "Walking on eggshells".
I've been struggling with my mental health and have sought out a therapist for about 5 months now. I've educated myself about covert narcissists, and Borderline Personality Disorder. A lot of the traits seem to match my spouse to the T!!
I'm in a point in my life where I want to leave and take my kids with me. I feel that my wife is on a smear campaign involving her insinuating "inappropriate" time with my daughter when we watch a movie together in my room or her room.
I LOVE my kids and it seems to affect her that I show them unconditional love and give them quality time.
FOR A LONG TIME I FELT THAT I WAS THE PROBLEM BUT KNOW THAT SHE HAS A MENTAL CONDITION THAT SHE REFUSES TO ACKNOWLEDGE.
Just wanted to reach out to DADS experiencing the same and maybe some advise on how to proceed with Divorcing a Covert Narcissist.  
meNOTme
Fewer than 3 Posts

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2024, 06:08:13 PM »

Paragraph header  (click to insert in post)
In a long term marriage and wife has undiagnosed BPD or NPD.
I have a 2nd home that I want to move into and take my kids but afraid that the wife will go livid and go and take them. I don't want that trauma for my kids and need to turn the page in my life with my kids. Financially drained due to her financial decisions.
If this sound like something you experienced, please share.
EyesUp
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2024, 06:14:52 PM »

Welcome - You'll find a community of people with shared experience here.  Please know that you're not alone.

I've been divorced from my uN/BPDxw since early '22.  We were married for almost 15 years, and we went through a few cycles for 10 years prior.  We've got three kids, D9, D13, and D16.

The marriage had a number of "classic" BPD features:  caretaking and avoidance (me)... depression, anxiety, impulsive spending, and infidelity (her). 

When it finally became clear to me to that I was the only thing in my power to change, I gained the power to withdraw a bit - to become less reactive, less engaged.  As I shopped for an attorney and practiced the skills I learned here:  "do not JADE" (Justify, Argue, Defend, Explain) and "BIFF" (Brief, Informative, Friendly, Fair), my then-wife perceived a change...  I stopped capitulating to everything, but also didn't engage in lengthy discussions about it. 

I had already retained an attorney and started the filing process with all financial disclosures and documents ready.  I did not disclose this to my wife, as I was not sure how she would react - probably not well.  She ended up responding to the perceived change by filing electronically without any documents - her electronic complaint was received first...   In the end, it was a blessing. 

For all the talk of first mover advantage in divorce, in my state it boils down to who gets to make the closing argument in a contested process. In the BPD dynamic, I think it was to our mutual benefit that my ex was able to assert her agency and never distracted by a sense of rejection. I never ended up telling her that I filed... 

The divorce process took about 10 months.  She filed a contested / at fault divorce, but we literally settled at the courthouse just prior to the first pre-trial hearing. The judge was only too happy to take a case of the docket, when it was our turn to present the agreement, we were done in 10 minutes...

My ex wanted to be the primary parent, retain sole occupancy of the house, all the retirement accounts, etc etc etc.  In the end we settled for 50-50 parenting time, I kept the house, and split most of the assets.  I kept most of the debt (accrued in part due to her inconsistent employment and very consistent spending...).  I was extremely fortunate - it doesn't usually go this way.

I learned a lot from reading BIFF, participating here, and seeing a good therapist throughout and after the divorce.  I gained a lot from reconnecting with friends and family, and spending more time doing things I've always loved - cycling, skiing, photography - rather than caretaking and walking on eggshells.  Self care is a big part of the process. 

I stayed focused on the kids and divorce process and didn't even think about dating until almost a year after the divorce. Of course my ex started dating less than a month after filing, while we were still cohabitating - GREAT!  I had more time with the kids - and more peace at home while she was away almost every weekend...

If your N/BPD is anything like mine, the smear campaign is already underway - not only with friends and mutual acquaintances, but possibly with your kids, their teachers, doctors - anyone, really.  Just remember: When she goes low, you go high. Rise above. Don't engage.

I was encouraged by how many people in our shared community eventually confided in me - often in subtle ways - that they could see through the narrative.  Some people won't take sides - your kids' providers shouldn't, as they will likely need to continue to work with both of you.  The advice you'll often see here and elsewhere is:  Just be the best parent you can be. Notice I didn't write "dad" - I try to avoid all the gendered generalizations - this also helps to reduce any potential sign of partisanship when you're communicating with, well, anyone.

But first you've got to study up.  Getting a divorce can be a full time job, especially if it's a high conflict case.  Interview a bunch of attorneys.  Find out who has REAL experience in the courthouse where your divorce will take place.  Who knows the judges.  And who has experience with high conflict cases.  Let's face it:  divorce is usually conflict, so almost every attorney will claim to have experience with high conflict cases.  Interview attorneys by asking for an introduction call - not a consultation.  This way, that first :30 or :60 minute call is likely to be free.  When interviewing them, ask open-ended questions:  "tell me about a time you had to go to trial against someone with a suspected personality disorder - what happened?  how did you manage it?  what was the outcome?  have you ever represented someone with a suspected personality disorder?  what was that like?"  I'd avoid using prescriptive or diagnostic language unless you're a professional.  Also, in 2024, everyone thinks their stbx is a narcissist - so don't fall into that trap.  The court doesn't care if you're a sociopath unless you've committed a crime... the fact is: criminals often get parenting time, as long as the crime was not against the kids...  when selecting an attorney, you want a litigator, not a negotiator, i.e., someone who is prepared to go trial. Unfortunately, it's probably not in your best interest to work with an attorney who specializes in collaborative divorce or mediation... this approach doesn't work with high conflict personalities and usually racks up a large bill before converting back to a traditional litigation process - so may as well start with the right tool for the job:  a litigator.  You can identify a litigator by asking how often they go to trial, and what tactics they've used to successfully secure an agreement.  Litigators will generally want to share some war stories and victories...

Divorce is primarily an economic agreement about division of assets, alimony, and child support - know your state guidelines and focus on those points. Don't wait for your attorney to educate you - educate yourself.  Don't get dragged into an emotional sideshow over disparagement, insults, false claims, etc., unless it's absolutely necessary.  If you're atty is buying into this stuff, that's a sign that they are bilking billable time... 

If you're concerned about false allegations, DV, etc., get a voice recorder and keep it going 24/7 when in the presence of your stbx, or possibly in general - even when around your kids.  Even in a 2-party state, the recording may be the only thing that enables you to prove what you did or did not do or say.

I could write a book about this stuff, but it would mostly cover things that are already here - and in other books.  Others here have been down this path.  Fill us in on where you're at in the process - have you spoken with attorneys yet?  Is there anyone else in your community that you can confide in or who can offer advice?  Are you seeing a therapist?  How are your kids doing at this point?  What are your biggest concerns? 

Let us know how we can best support you.

Hang in there.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2024, 06:42:36 PM »

I've been struggling with my mental health and have sought out a therapist for about 5 months now...
I'm in a point in my life where I want to leave and take my kids with me. I feel that my wife is on a smear campaign involving her insinuating "inappropriate" time with my daughter when we watch a movie together in my room or her room.

With a spouse who may at some point make "unsubstantiated" allegations of child abuse - you already have had insinuations or worse - it would be wise for you to make counseling a priority for your children too.  If you as an adult have struggled with the relationship, imagine how difficult it is for the kids.

Be aware that your spouse is highly likely to oppose counseling for the children.  Many therapists won't help if a parent opposes counseling.  But all is not lost.  (1) Schools have counselors who may assist/counsel the children on a limited basis.  (2) Or if the marital difficulties do reach a legal level where children's services or domestic court get involved, courts will likely side for the parent wanting counseling.  (My lawyer told me, "Courts love counseling.")

Are your children tweens or teens?  If so and if the marriage does fail, the children may get a voice on which parent they'd prefer to be the "primary parent".  My son was 11 years old when my ex wanted our son to have an "in camera" interview with the judge and GAL (Guardian ad Litem, child's lawyer).  Neither parent was present, the officials observed our son's demeanor rather than his words and it didn't result in ex's favor.

ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2024, 07:11:17 PM »

Many here have "been there, experienced that".  Our community has an immense collective wisdom accumulated over the years.  In general, we have a sense of which strategies usually work and which are less likely to succeed.

Is the second home in the same school district?  If you end up in court seeking a temp court order (usually a divorce's very first hearing) the judge may not know anything about the family's environment and decide the kids should not change schools until the professionals surrounding the court can provide a report.

Until you get the temp order, life may be difficult because until there is a court order in hand, both parents have equal but undefined parental rights.  Yes, quite a disputed environment.

If you do separate and are awaiting a temp order, be careful to work toward a "less bad" order.  Sadly, with two seemingly bickering and opposed parents, courts aren't likely to try to fix all the issues.  (My temp order hearing was scheduled for a mere half hour!)  So prepare your list of issues and requests in priority order since you may not get to the end of your list.

Outdorenthusiast

Relationship status: Married - uBPDw

The road is narrow…

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2024, 10:51:31 AM »

Just wanted to reach out to DADS experiencing the same and maybe some advice on how to proceed with Divorcing a Covert Narcissist.  
Welcome new member (click to insert in post)
Welcome!  Sorry that you have experienced this challenging situation.  Divorcing someone with a mental difficulty is challenging and not all lawyers or courts understand the real consequences of personality issues.  Usually they are master emotional manipulators, and excellent liars.  Documentation, recordings, event logging, and facts will be key.

The book “Splitting” - Bill Eddy, is a great “how to” book that will help a lot for your planning.  Some members have mentioned pro-actively reaching out to your local law enforcement and letting them know what is going on and what she is doing has helped them.

The #1 important thing is focusing on your kids.  Get them into family therapy, to meet, play, talk, introduce to the therapist.  This will be good for them to not have to talk to a “stranger” when things get really rough (they will).  Also to a judge - a therapist will show you have their needs at heart (bonus points).  Take them out for “daddy” dates to remove them from the toxic environment and be “normal.”  Listen to them, empathize and don’t bash your wife.  Your kids love their mom, and you should never tear her down in their eyes - it will backfire.

Prepare for things with your wife to get WAY worse before it gets better…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest