Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 07:29:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A break or leaving for good ... what do I want?  (Read 663 times)
SettingBorders

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: February 11, 2017, 05:54:15 PM »

Hey there,

I'm struggeling to leave my boyfriend. He's got BPD traits, in my opinion, and I cannot imagine to go on living like that. We've tried couples therapy, but with poor success. We currently moved into a bigger flat which is next door to our old flat, right across the hall. I've rented the old flat myself, in case we separate. But we live together in the new flat.

We have a daughter of 4 months. He loves her more than anything.

I cannot stay in that relationship. But leaving it scares me, too. I fear that I will think I made the wrong decision and want him back (disregarded if this was a wise decision). I fear his emotional breakdown or that he could even commit suicide. I fear he could demand to see his daughther more often that I would like to. I fear arguements on education and childcare at our daughter's expense.

The idea of taking a timeout from the relationship at first sounds plausible then. I mean a long timeout of several months. But would it really be a gain? Wouldn't it block my way to acceptance and healing? And wouldn't it contribute to an unhealty dynamic between us on the long run, because I would be the one in charge? And still, the decision would have to be made.

I'm curious for your thoughts.
SettingBorders

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 12:50:40 PM »

Any thoughts? Both ways have their advantages and disadvantages.
Lucky Jim

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 11:20:14 AM »

Hey SB, You're the expert on you.  What would you like to see happen?  What are your gut feelings?  LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
SettingBorders

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 09:02:17 AM »

My gut feeling tells me to leave for good. I'd have more peace of mind. I could heal. I could eventually move on... .

The idea of taking a relationship break comes from my fear of an eclat. But thinking it over I came to realize, that an eclat needs to happen, if it needs to happen. It can only be delayed. Plus it would be unfair to leave for good and say it's just for now.

So, seems I know what I want now. Courage is lacking, though.
Lucky Jim

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 09:26:40 AM »

Hello again, SB, Staying in a r/s out of fear, or fear of an éclat, is unhealthy for you and no way to live.  I suspect you know this already.  Maybe there are some small steps you can take towards your goal, now that you know what the goals is?  Many on this Conflicted Board are anxious about making a change, with good reason, yet what is often overlooked is the possibility of greater happiness, which is what you have already recognized.

LJ

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
SettingBorders

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 03:20:34 PM »

Thank you! Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest