Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 01:00:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He opened up to me completely and it's a really hard pill to swallow.  (Read 351 times)
misuniadziubek

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Semi-long distance relationship living apart.

« on: February 11, 2017, 08:24:41 PM »

BPDbf's been going through a lot these last two weeks. One of his friends attempted suicide the night after they had sex.

I didn't really realise our relationship was still open but I guess we left it in limbo.

But he had me come up during the week to tell me so the stuff he was going through. He considered the sex with someone else part the light news but it left me feeling really upset.

Then I found out his friend is 17 and I made it very clear that it was 1) inappropriate 2) inbalance of power (teenage girls tend to be impulsive and don't have the executive reasoning skills to see past the moment) and the teenage brain and 3) he's wanting to help her out with her stuff but he is complicating the dynamic by turning it sexual. 4) I'm not comfortable with her sleeping in his bed with him if she needs to stay over.

He argued that he didn't feel he caused any harm, as the 17 yo is very mature for her age and very independent and doesn't form emotional connections with sex. It's just sex to her, having fun, which surprised him and his mom was 17 when she was knocked up by his 28yo biological dad. (Didn't know that) He agreed to my requests though, so that's cool.

Tough conversations but I kept my cool and genuinely expressed my concerns and he really took it to heart and told me that he appreciates me being so gentle and compassionate and understanding.

Cool.

But tonight I came up to continue the conversation and he admitted to me that the university study survey I sent him about suicidal thoughts really made him reflect on his feelings and he's glad I forwarded it to him. He then told he that the night before he asked for a therapeutic seperation for two months and that same day that he got officially dXed with BPD, he was trying to commit suicide by drinking and taking painkillers.

My jaw dropped.

I erupted into tears. That night I'd had come up in the best mood, we hugged, kissed, he told me I was cute. Then we came home and he started taking a few tramadol he got from a friend that was hanging out with us. He kept pouring himself drinks as well. And unbeknownst to me, he'd taken muscle relaxants too. He would randomly start sobbing and saying he was so sorry for being so horrible. That he regrets so many things. Then he started falling over and acting even stranger. He would lie down on the floor and suddenly stop breathing and freak out , so I kept having to move him and make sure he was still well ventilated. I couldn't get him to not take more tramadol. He then ran out of the house barefoot and I, terrified because he lives next to a 55mph road, ran after him. He was running on the side of the road and then suddenly disappeared. I found him laying facedown in the grass and turned him over. He'd thrown up a bit. And I got him to wake up. And then I lead him back to his house and put him under the shower with his clothes on
He got into bed and then suddenly went to wake up his roommate and apologize to her. She was cool with it. Then he finally came back and kept telling me that I'm so beautiful and that he loves me so much and that he wants to be with me forever and they were the most beautiful words he ever said.

The next day he asked for a break.

And now I find out he wasn't just being stupid and irresponsible. He was trying to commit suicide. I told him that if he didn't start breathing on his own, I was planning to call 911 that night.

I don't know that to do with this. He tells me now that I'm the reason he doesn't want to die but otherwise he's been feeling very low lately. I told him that he's not my reason for living at all. That fee brings brightness to my days but I have many reasons and he needs to figure out his own.

I'm honestly so devastated. Everything is so complicated right now. I keep getting hit with more stuff but at the very least, we are talking openly. We aren't holding back. We're closer than we've ever been except that I don't want to be that close to him in this moment. It scares the $hi7 out of me and im having trouble processing all of it.

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 08:21:06 AM »

I'm sorry that you are going through this. I would be so confused about what to do in regards to infidelity but also having concerns for his safety. It sounds like you set some very good boundaries with him. I personally do not have a lot of experience with suicidal ideation, but I have heard that when one person attempts or commits suicide it can lead to a chain reaction in those around them. He could be trying to process through his own fear of this girl committing suicide and it is stirring up old feelings in him.

Here is a link to the safety first information. There is a suicide checklist and information on how to help someone who is having suicidal thoughts.

https://bpdfamily.com/pdfs/safety_first.pdf

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 07:24:07 AM »

Hi Miz, It is certainly scary to be faced with a loved one discussing suicide. I do think these things should be taken seriously. Also know that if you have concerns you can call 911. He lives a distance from you and 911 would get there sooner.

I don't know if I understood the conversation- but I also had a concern about how the two pieces of information were presented to you. On one hand, he delivers news about a serious wrongdoing. You may question that in reference to the infidelity- as if you weren't sure you were exclusive or not - but even if that was unclear, it is news he knows would upset you.

He had sex with someone else.

Then- some real wrongdoing: sex with an underage girl. I don't know the law of consent in his area. It might even be a crime. In some cases, if the man is close in age to the girl- like 18- an impulsive act reflects the age of both of them. If he is much older, then as you said - this is inappropriate even if it isn't illegal.

I don't see where he has owned up to this act? He is the adult. She is 17. An adult takes responsibility for his actions.

He follows this news with the suicide story. Now, although you are probably angry about the incident with the girl- how could you be angry at him when he tells you this sad story? Instead of taking responsibility " I had sex with a 17 year old girl, I know this is wrong" he then goes into Victim mode- with this other event.

What is the emotional payoff for Victim mode? A victim isn't responsible for his/her actions. Getting angry at a victim is cruel. The Victim should be rescued, not blamed.

I am not suggesting he did this deliberately- presented these two pieces of information ( that are separate events). It may or many not be that he did this. Someone with BPD has a difficult time owning up to wrongdoing. It triggers shame. When in shame, they tend to "rescue " themselves by projecting or letting themselves off the hook.  I have seen this kind of thing with my BPD mother. When confronted with wrongdoing- instead of saying " I did this, I am sorry" it triggers some story about something that happened to her- or a reason why someone else mistreated her. The response then is to feel she is in such a an emotional state that it would be cruel to confront her further.

The frustrating part of this is that all humans will make mistakes to some extent. They may not be cheating or having sex with underage girls, but something else- something even minor like forgetting a loved one's birthday. The mechanism for repairing a relationship is a genuine apology with the attempt to not repeat the behavior that hurt. It is hard to get this from someone with BPD. I have to accept- in the case of my mother- that her awareness that something she did was wrong- which results in the other story is the apology.

You have two issues here that are completely separate but were bundled together:

Your BF had sex with another girl- this leaves the question is your relationship open or not? That answer should be clear to both of you.

Your BF had sex with an underage girl. How do you wish to respond to that? You can't control his ideas- he has justified them. It's now up to you to decide if this is the kind of behavior you will tolerate in a relationship or not. That puts the relationship on the line for you- and you may not be ready to deal with that. We all have our bottom line boundaries with what we can tolerate in the other person- so that is entirely your decision.

Your BF confessed to mixing alcohol with drugs. That is scary. However, you can not watch him 24/7. He makes his own choices. Last time you took care of him, but he may have been in serious danger.  You have the option to call 911 and place him under medical care.

misuniadziubek

Relationship status: Semi-long distance relationship living apart.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 02:34:55 PM »

I don't know if I understood the conversation- but I also had a concern about how the two pieces of information were presented to you.

They were presented about 10 days apart. Meanwhile I sent him a link to enroll himself in the suicidal ideation study and the questions were very specific about timing and thoughts, so it triggered some memories in him about that moment he told me about. He has been holding on to it for two years,  but felt it was a good time to share it.

Excerpt
On one hand, he delivers news about a serious wrongdoing. You may question that in reference to the infidelity- as if you weren't sure you were exclusive or not - but even if that was unclear, it is news he knows would upset you.

He had sex with someone else.
I never set clear limits on whether our relationship was open or closed. Every time I tried to express that I was uncomfortable with it, he'd spend so much time convincing me that it didn't mean that he didn't want to be with me forever or that he'd end up with anything more special than what we had. It was just sex. Nothing more. I'd then go on to tell him I'm okay with it, and then regret it.

Excerpt
Then- some real wrongdoing: sex with an underage girl. I don't know the law of consent in his area. It might even be a crime. In some cases, if the man is close in age to the girl- like 18- an impulsive act reflects the age of both of them. If he is much older, then as you said - this is inappropriate even if it isn't illegal.

I don't see where he has owned up to this act? He is the adult. She is 17. An adult takes responsibility for his actions.

Age of consent is 17 where he lives. It's 16 where I live.

His family is filled with inappropriate age gaps, unfortunately, so he's never taken the time to reflect on whether or not. His bio dad was 28 when he had sex with his mom at 17. His stepdad was 26 when he married her 6 months after BPDbf's birth. His best friend, 28, was recently in a 4 month extramarital relationship with an 18 yo. Frankly I'm exasperated at the lack of good role models in his vicinity.

When I originally brought up the issue, he did take my words seriously, said that I know more about the human development stuff than he does so I might just be right and it possibly is crossing a line. He never thought the age thing was a big deal because the girl seems so put together and independent, most likely because of childhood neglect. I then countered with how when I was 17 I seemed like I was the most put together person ever and once even went on an informal date with a guy who was 28 who had no clue of my age.  He thought I was 24 because of the way I acted and dropped me like a hot as soon as he found out.

It was an act though, all related to being an alternate parent to my younger brother who has a developmental disability. Didn't change the fact that I went on to become increasingly more impulsive and everything fell apart once I went away to college.

I have to let him come to his own conclusions but for now I have explicitly told him how strong I feel about the power imbalance a situation like that consists of.

Excerpt
He follows this news with the suicide story. Now, although you are probably angry about the incident with the girl- how could you be angry at him when he tells you this sad story? Instead of taking responsibility " I had sex with a 17 year old girl, I know this is wrong" he then goes into Victim mode- with this other event.

What is the emotional payoff for Victim mode? A victim isn't responsible for his/her actions. Getting angry at a victim is cruel. The Victim should be rescued, not blamed.

I got very angry with him. Firstly I exploded into tears because the news was like a slap in the face. Then I started asking why the hell he didn't tell me then. Or why he's even telling me now. He said he hadn't been planning to ever tell me but the surveys he was taking were bringing up a lot of stuff for him and he barely knows how to deal with it himself. He's seeing his therapist weekly for now, and he said that he would be more open about this from now on.

I tried to get over it and kind of accept it, but once I left, the rage kept building up.Finally, as soon as I got home I messaged him and started talking about what the situation was doing to me and how it was making me feel.

Excerpt
You have two issues here that are completely separate but were bundled together:

Your BF had sex with another girl- this leaves the question is your relationship open or not? That answer should be clear to both of you.

He would be willing to close the relationship if I asked, but doing so would be very difficult because of his strong need to seek novelty through casual encounters when they appear. It's a genuine incompatibility. He doesn't see sex in the same way that I do, and having the freedom to engage in these sorts of things while having a strong stable primary relationship is what he desires most. But he is terrified of losing me because of it and has told me he'd consider chemical castration if it meant he could stay with me.  A little over dramatic and intense, but he is also terrified of causing me pain. He's not sure what we could do.

I don't want to break up, though. For now we've compromised to make it a periodical thing. It only is open at certain time periods, and we talk openly and honestly every time.

Excerpt
Your BF had sex with an underage girl. How do you wish to respond to that? You can't control his ideas- he has justified them. It's now up to you to decide if this is the kind of behavior you will tolerate in a relationship or not. That puts the relationship on the line for you- and you may not be ready to deal with that. We all have our bottom line boundaries with what we can tolerate in the other person- so that is entirely your decision.

I can see why he could have made that mistake initially. I understand his perspective, considering my own experience, but I've also made it clear why I deem it inappropriate and drew a limit on age which he agreed to. If he broke that limit, it would be considered a deal breaker.

Excerpt
Your BF confessed to mixing alcohol with drugs. That is scary. However, you can not watch him 24/7. He makes his own choices. Last time you took care of him, but he may have been in serious danger.  You have the option to call 911 and place him under medical care.

All I can really do is be there for him while not encouraging codependency. He has had a history of attempted suicide but apparently two years ago was the last time he actively tried.

I guess the biggest thing is that I've stopped sugar-coating things. If i'm not okay with something I let it be known. If I'm upset, I tell him. He responds pretty well nowadays in comparison to even a year ago. I've stopped being afraid of his reaction.

It does concern me, though, that now I have to be more sensitive to clues on his mental state and watch out for signs. I was completely oblivious back then and he preferred to keep it that way.

I think things are okay for now. Thank you so much for your response.
Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 05:36:50 PM »

Ugh, that is really tough to deal with; opening up like that is a form of progress on his part, but it sure isn't easy when it comes out with suicide attempts! Hang in there and make sure you take good care of yourself, not just worrying about him!

I didn't really realise our relationship was still open but I guess we left it in limbo.

I'm gonna call foul (or at least FOG / mind games) on this one. We live in a culture where relationships are assumed to be closed/monogamous. In other words, if you are going to choose be non-monogamous, you should be at least telling your partner first, or better yet, having a conversation about whether this is OK in your r/s or not!

That said, there are a lot of things that a pwBPD will do that are awful; this is just another one.

Are you OK with this aspect of your relationship with him?
Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 09:01:56 PM »

Uhm, I didn't read all your later posts before I wrote that last one... .and your history and choices with your BPDbf regarding casual sex are complicated. Especially because it is such an uneasy truce between the two of you.

Your statement that it is a genuine incompatibility is an honest and difficult way to describe the situation. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest