Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 02:38:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exhausted  (Read 611 times)
LovedNana
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: February 14, 2017, 01:00:01 PM »

Hi,
I am married to a kind and gentle man who has characteristics of BPD. He actually recognized the traits in himself after reading the book "Stop Walking on Eggshells" but now is kind of walking that self-awareness back.  We are in couples therapy with a therapist who recognizes his BPD features and it is not going well.  I am exhausted.  The cycle is never-ending and just when I think we have turned a corner, he regresses.  The accusation and blaming behaviors are so hurtful and I find myself dancing a jig to avoid a melt-down, which is also quite exhausting.

He is in individual counseling but his green (intern) therapist assures him that he is not BPD, though she has not seen the side of him that comes out in couples counseling.  It is Valentine's Day and we had a huge fight this morning--he is adamant that he is not returning to couples' counseling--got too close last night.  I feel a level of exhaustion that I realize is far more than not enough sleep.  It is simply exhausting to live with the uncertainty of what may or may not set him off.  And the blame-shifting is incredibly hurtful.

Just wanted to vent a bit.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Echo87

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 03:21:45 PM »

Your self-care is so incredibly important at this point. Would you consider seeking individual therapy for yourself? A therapist may be able to offer you some tools to manage your exhaustion and reactions to his behaviors that have brought you to where you are. I was fortunate(?) that my partner had a diagnosis prior to us meeting.

I emphasize with your exhaustion riding the BPD rollercoaster. Even with a partner that is self-aware, emotional dysregulation is still commonplace and if you aren't careful, you'll go right along for the ride. Self-awareness from a partner with BPD doesn't mean that things are going to necessarily change.

There are a number of articles on the site here to read, and if you're looking for a good read, check out "Loving Someone With Borderline Personality Disorder". It has loads of information on the disorder itself and I found it a great help in learning to control my own emotional reactions to my partner's intense emotions (which to some degree keeps his emotions controlled) and to teach myself to validate his emotions without sounding patronizing.
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 12:16:22 AM »

It is very possible that you are caught with fixing him and resolving the "issue of the day". Hence you over engage.

What was your huge fight about? Perhaps we can give some suggestions on not allowing yourself to get caught up in the reaction>counter reaction escalations these usually devolve into.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest