Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 11:20:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not sure yet  (Read 372 times)
Mass

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: February 15, 2017, 01:59:40 PM »

Hi There,

I recently started going to counseling thinking that I was causing a lot of grief in my relationship. I take 50/50 responsibility in my relationship, however, for awhile any huge fight that occurred between my boyfriend and I was made to be my fault. I made the decision to go to counselor because I have started to have anxiety attacks when we fight and I was starting to feel crazy and not myself. My counselor said that it sounds like my partner has BPD. Obviously, it's not for sure, but a lot of the signs point to yes. I think he is a wonderful human and I love him a lot. He is what I believe would be called a high functioning BPD. I feel like I have my own set of problems and it's just been enhanced with this relationship. I would love to be with him and make things work. It just doesn't feel possible and I don't know.

Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 09:08:29 PM »

Hi Mass, 

I'd like to welcome you to  bpdfamily. I'm glad that you decided to join us. A pwBPD can create a lot of anxiety in others from their emotional eruptions, I have anxiety too, I'm not a doctor, have you talked to your MD about medication that can alleviate anxiety symptoms quickly? The medication can be addictive, you have to be careful, has your counselor given you strategies or taught you skills to cope with anxiety?

I completely understand the ambiguity, we're here to support you, the decision making process can take time, we've all walked in mile in your shoes and understand the difficulty curve when your partner suffers from BPD, you suffer as well from anxiety, it's no picnic. You're not alone.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Mass

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 10:14:50 AM »

Hi Mutt,

Thanks for your reply. It's definitely not a picnic and it's funny how an individual and situations can pull out things like anxiety all of a sudden. I never knew that I really had anxiety until now. I have been talking to my doctor about it, but she would like me try breathing techniques and what not before medication. My counselor also is helping me work through situations. He has mentioned that I need to really take the time to think if I should really in this relationship. I can't help but think that it's always my fault, but I know that can't be possible. Anyways, thank you for the support and I am  happy that there is a place that I can reach out to.
Lucky Jim

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 12:06:29 PM »

Hey Mass, Welcome!  Your anxiety attacks, in my view, are a sign that something is off in your r/s.   Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post)  I'm glad that you have an MD and  a T to help you sort through it.  No, it's not all your fault, though a pwBPD will try to convince you otherwise, in order to foist the blame/guilt on you to get it off his/her plate.  Suggest that you decline to take it on.  Whether to stay or go is a decision only you can make.  In the meantime, we can help you to find the right path for you.

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Mass

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 06:00:51 PM »

Thank you! Yes, it is a tough decision. I have tried to open up a discussion with my significant other... .It's the first time I tried and I want to see how it goes. I just would love to learn skills on how to approach that sort of conflict differently.

I am hoping with finally speaking out and sharing my feelings that it will get better. But who knows... .I assume that both of you must have given multiple changes to your partners and they always reverted back to their usual ways?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest