Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 02:31:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help My adult daughter has two young boys...  (Read 408 times)
Robyn0718

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: February 18, 2017, 12:58:02 PM »

There are so many problems I hardly know where to start... .but the most pressing right now is that that my daughter is unemployed and unable/unwilling to change that.  She more or less demands that I support her by telling me the children have nothing to eat, the utilities are being turned off, she is too depressed to get out of bed, etc.  I am 74 years old and have been trying to support them but I really can't keep doing it - I am also really worried about the boys - she is alternately a wonderful mother, then extremely emotionally abusive. 

I don't know what to do - I am trying to help her move to a town with more resources but she blew up at me and refuses to do anything - just lies in bed.  The boys text me that they are hungry.  I live a thousand miles away.  Her other parent will have nothing to do with her.  The boys father left.  There really is only me.

I struggle with whether i should try and take/raise the children at my age; call social services; continue trying to support them; break off the relationship.  I am at my wits end.
Does anyone have an idea where I can start with all this?  I know a lot about BPD (i am, in fact, a clinical psychologist, although sometimes i think that just makes it worse!) and know i am caught in a vicious cycle that i can't seem to break.
I'm not even sure this is an appropriate topic for this message board.  If not, can someone point me in a better direction?
Robyn0718
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
wendydarling
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 02:16:05 PM »

Hello Robyn0718 and welcome to bpdfamily

I am sorry to hear what your dealing with, you have a lot on your plate and it is tough on you as you say you can't keep on and on, they need another support system. How old are the boys and how are they managing?

WDx

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
Naughty Nibbler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 02:34:47 PM »

Hi!
Welcome Robyn0718:  

I'm so sorry to hear about the situation with your daughter and grandchildren.  I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you.   What's your daughter's history regarding treatment for mental health issues?  :)oes she recognize that she has BPD?  Is she living in the US?

Quote from: Robyn0718
I struggle with whether i should try and take/raise the children at my age; call social services; continue trying to support them; break off the relationship.  I am at my wits end.    

How old are the children?  :)oes their father pay any support?  What has been your method of helping her financially?  :)o you pay specific bills directly, or just send her money?  

One way to consider the options is to make a spreadsheet, list the options in the rows and then impact situations across the columns (i.e. financial impact to you, best for children's welfare, best for daughter's welfare, emotional impact to you, etc.).  Then you can decide on a weighting range and give each column category a weighting number to designate importance.

Going through the motions of creating a spreadsheet, might force you to think through the options and what's important to you.  It might be something you would do more than once, as your numbers/weightings might evolve.  

Have you thought about some therapy for you self to help you think through this?

Robyn0718

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 08:48:43 AM »

Thank you, Wendy and Nibbler, for your responses.  
The boys are 9 and 12 - the older boy, Jun, is doing fairly well - he is gifted, self-motivated, and a real sweetie pie.  The younger one, Kenji, is having problems.  As you can probably tell from their names, they are half Japanese.  When their parents divorced, their father returned to Japan - he now has a new family - my daughter tells me that in Japanese culture, when there is a divorce, the former spouse and her children are considered dead - their father recently cut off all communication with them, at the insistence of his new wife.  He does pay child support - about $1000 a month - which is almost exactly enough to pay their rent.

My daughter has been in an out of therapy since she was 16, when she made a suicide attempt.  Most of it has not helped much because she cannot tolerate limit setting and gets angry and walks out when the therapist says something that she considers "offensive".  She off and on accepts that she has emotional problems - she accepts that she is bipolar but uses that as an excuse for bad behavior ("It's my mania and I can't help it".  She mainly rejects the idea that she has BPD, although the notion of complex PTSD is more acceptable to her - she has expressed some interest in DBT but so far that hasn't happened.

Part of the picture is that three years ago she moved to rural South Carolina to be with a significant other who had been in love with her for years - unfortunately, she attacked him physically before they ever even got there and things went down hill from there.  So he is out of the picture, not because he wants to be but because she insists he is evil and controlling.  In rural South Carolina, there are few jobs and in any event, she has two masters' degrees and won't consider taking any job that is "beneath" her.  They also have very few social services.  At one point, the Department of Social Services removed the children from the home because their teachers reported they were being neglected; they were gone for 18 months and it had a pretty traumatic impact on the little one.  She subsequently removed them from school, with the idea that they would be "home schooled", which of course is not happening.  They are pretty much isolated in the house with her.

She has agreed to move back to the small midwestern college town where she (and i) spent many years.  She is familiar with the community, there are good resources (as in most college towns), and many jobs she would consider "acceptable".  I think she is overwhelmed with the move and that is triggering the current crisis.  My SO and I are willing to pay for the move and help her move, as well as fund her first month or two back in Illinois.  But she took the money I sent her for food (I pay all her utilities, her car payment and insurance, and send her $250 a week for necessities) and spent it all on Ebay "collectibles" with the idea she could re-sell them and support herself.  I think she is actually pretty afraid to go out of the house.  She decided (i can find no real evidence of this) that she had suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning and uses this as a reason for not really doing anything - she says her brain has been damaged and she can't concentrate.

This is a very long response (sorry!).  I think my main issue has to do with the children.  I feel as thought i SHOULD take them, but i also know i am not at a stage in life when i CAN take them - or maybe i am just selfish.  I torment myself with this.  My daughter has many inner resources - she is brilliant, highly educated, beautiful and charming; she is also VERY BPD'ish or cPTSD-ish and/or bipolar, which derails her life and always has.  She is now 50 - i *think* if it weren't for the children, I would leave her to struggle with this alone - she has hurt me so very deeply - but the idea of the kids torments me.
Naughty Nibbler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 02:25:42 PM »

Hi Robyn0718:

Thanks for sharing more of your story. 

My daughter has been in an out of therapy since she was 16, when she made a suicide attempt.  Most of it has not helped much because she cannot tolerate limit setting and gets angry and walks out when the therapist says something that she considers "offensive".

My daughter has many inner resources - she is brilliant, highly educated, beautiful and charming. She off and on accepts that she has emotional problems. She mainly rejects the idea that she has BPD, although the notion of complex PTSD is more acceptable to her.

She decided (i can find no real evidence of this) that she had suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning and uses this as a reason for not really doing anything - she says her brain has been damaged and she can't concentrate. 

Unless your daughter needs a specific label for insurance purposes, best to focus on treating the symptoms.  If PTSD is acceptable to her, perhaps that's the one to go with.  Is she taking any meds to treat some of her symptons?

People with BPD like to find blame for problems.  You mention that your daughter seems to think that she suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning, and blames her symptoms on that. My sister does something similar.

My sister had a "slip and fall" incident at her place of employment many years ago.  She did have a shoulder injury and subsequent surgery; however, she has used that one incident as the blame for many things.  Her one quote was, "That fall did something to me.  I haven't felt the same since".  In my sister's situation, I believe the stress of the event exacerbated her BPD symptoms.  She acquired a prescription for an antidepressant from her primary care doctor, but she won't get therapy. When our parent's passed, within 6 months of each other, my sister split me black and I became the recipient of her emotions.

She is now 50 she has expressed some interest in DBT but so far that hasn't happened.   

Perhaps your daughter would be receptive to trying some self-help DBT.   The first link below leads to a self-help DBT website.  The 2nd link, DBT Skills Training, relates to a DBT book, ":)BT Skills Training Workshop and Handouts".  It makes some lessons available to the public.  It appears as if the lessons could stand alone, without the book.  If you explore the website, there is mention of a Facebook group, and perhaps a waiting list.  I'd think it might be best to jump in without the Facebook option, but it might be something to consider exploring.

DBT SELF-HELP WEBSITE:
www.dbtselfhelp.com

DBT SKILLS TRAINING
https://dbtskillstraining.wordpress.com/

The younger one, Kenji, is having problems.   

What problems is he having?

When their parents divorced, their father returned to Japan - he now has a new family - my daughter tells me that in Japanese culture, when there is a divorce, the former spouse and her children are considered dead - their father recently cut off all communication with them, at the insistence of his new wife.  He does pay child support - about $1000 a month - which is almost exactly enough to pay their rent   
I'm so sorry about that situation.  That's one cultural norm that needs to be left behind.  Thankfully, he is providing financial support, but it has to be hard for the children to understand that their father won't have anything to do with them beyond the financial support.

She subsequently removed them from school, with the idea that they would be "home schooled", which of course is not happening.  They are pretty much isolated in the house with her.   
Is this the current situation, that the children are supposedly in a "home schooled" situation?  Do you know if the children are recognized as being at the various school grades that are appropriate for them?

I think my main issue has to do with the children.  I feel as thought i SHOULD take them, but i also know i am not at a stage in life when i CAN take them - or maybe i am just selfish.  I torment myself with this.     

You are in a very tough situation.  You care about your grandchildren, but you are in your golden years.  Perhaps there is an answer in the middle, if your daughter moves to your community.  If she is closer to you, you can offer a greater level of help for the children, without taking over full custody.

Also, perhaps with more community resources, Social Services could get involved with some monitoring or coaching services (without removing the children from her home).

She has agreed to move back to the small midwestern college town where she (and i) spent many years.  She is familiar with the community, there are good resources, and many jobs she would consider "acceptable".  I think she is overwhelmed with the move and that is triggering the current crisis.  My SO and I are willing to pay for the move and help her move, as well as fund her first month or two back in Illinois.  I think she is actually pretty afraid to go out of the house.

What do you think about giving your daughter the DBT links and encouraging her to use some of the exercises to help regulate her emotions?  Perhaps, you could look over the websites referenced and give your daughter some assignments to start with.  One of the three subcategories within the ":)BT Self-Help" website could be a good place to start.

Right now, the goal would be to get her regulated to the point that she will participate in moving to your community.  You might have to set a boundary, if she won't participate in some DBT self-help.  If she won't participate, then you might need to withhold some financial assistance.  The boundaries could escalate, if she won't try to help herself.  If she won't get on board with even trying to regulate her emotions and behaviors, you will likely want to escalate the consequences and get Child Protective Services involved again.   Is getting temporary custody, something you might consider for a short period of time? 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest