Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 02:56:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: high vs low functioning BPD?  (Read 357 times)
AustenJ

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: February 23, 2017, 09:50:41 AM »

What is the difference between a high-functioning BPD and a low-functioning BPD?
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 10:51:49 AM »

there was some discussion on the differences recently starting here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=299307.msg12806105#msg12806105

a more extensive discussion on the differences can be found on the Psychology of Personality Disorders board here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=56415.0

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
infjEpic

Relationship status: In a new relationship

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 05:12:26 AM »

My current impression (this will evolve I'm sure):

Group A: Benign, More Impulsive:
The volatile, harmless*, depressed type
- mild level of pathology** & less co-morbid traits,
- more likely to self inflict,
- attachment disorder more likely to affect the broad spectrum of relationships not just romantic
- more receptive to & responsive to treatment

Group B: Malignant, More Predatory:
The volatile, dangerous, destructive type
- high level of pathology & more co-morbid traits,
- more likely to inflict on others and/or more likely to have substitute coping mechanisms such as Trichotillomania,
- attachment disorder less likely to affect the broad spectrum of relationships but very pronounced disordered behaviour in intimate relationships
- less receptive to & responsive to treatment (due to increased NPD trait co-morbidity)

* harmless meaning they are less likely to pose a threat to others
** mild meaning less traits, not mild pain or outcomes

I've seen other type distinctions such as:
Discouraged, Impulsive, Self Destructive, Petulant

These distinctions do not make a great deal of sense to me presently, since so many of these behaviours seem to be concurrent (including in non-disordered people).
They make much more sense as 'mode' distinctions, with the understanding that 'mode' can change rapidly where BPD is concerned.
steelwork

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 11:44:51 AM »

My two cents: I think putting people in "A" or "B" groups wrt personality disordered traits goes against the idea of a spectrum, which implies a distribution along the expanse from "no traits" to "severe impairment"... .and also I don't think the expressions of disorder can be sorted into high and low functioning, exactly. For instance, is it necessarily true that someone who is less impaired would be more impulsive, infjEpic? I don't think so... .but I am not an expert.
steelwork

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 11:50:47 AM »

Group B: Malignant, More Predatory:
The volatile, dangerous, destructive type
- high level of pathology & more co-morbid traits,
- more likely to inflict on others and/or more likely to have substitute coping mechanisms such as Trichotillomania,
- attachment disorder less likely to affect the broad spectrum of relationships but very pronounced disordered behaviour in intimate relationships
- less receptive to & responsive to treatment (due to increased NPD trait co-morbidity)

Some of this sounds like antisocial personality disorder to me.
infjEpic

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 12:54:04 PM »

My two cents: I think putting people in "A" or "B" groups wrt personality disordered traits goes against the idea of a spectrum, which implies a distribution along the expanse from "no traits" to "severe impairment"... .

The premise of the question requires categorisation under 2 groupings (High/Low or A/B)

Classification doesn't invalidate spectrum distribution, it merely indicates segmentation of the spectrum. (You actually provided a sample segmentation in your example [None/Severe])

Excerpt
and also I don't think the expressions of disorder can be sorted into high and low functioning, exactly.

Not sure if you misinterpreted, but I agree but the expressions of the disorder aren't being classified, the traits are (tho admittedly extremely bluntly).

I agree with you that a spectrum of BPD doesn't make much sense anyway.
A spectrum of disorder may, particularly due to comorbidity. I've been trying to research medical/clinical opinions recently, and there seem to be surprisingly few  professionals so far who do not believe BPD/NPD are always co-morbid to some extent.

Excerpt
For instance, is it necessarily true that someone who is less impaired would be more impulsive, infjEpic? I don't think so... .but I am not an expert.

Again, not sure if you wrote that incorrectly or misinterpreted.

In the example I outlined above, Group A are low functioning. So someone who is less impaired is more impulsive, not less. Personality disorders manifest in a social context, hence they struggle with the broad range of social contexts.

High functioning, by it's very name would indicate less impulsivity - (or more self control, in general, but not in entirety). As an example, they can be highly successful in their career or other social contexts, they have substitute coping mechanism and only family members or intimate partners may ever experience their disordered behaviour.

It's important to stress here - I'm not a professional, and there is no medical or scientific fact in the opinion I've provided.
This is merely the current impression I've acquired through reading
infjEpic

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 01:01:54 PM »

Some of this sounds like antisocial personality disorder to me.

Could be a multitude or could just be a non-disordered nasty person.

But it's distinct from low functioning - in that it's premeditated (as opposed to impulsive) and mens rea applies.
steelwork

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 01:08:58 PM »

infjEpic: I actually was not saying a spectrum didn't make sense. I don't have that kind of expertise... .I was taking that wisdom (that BPD is a spectrum disorder) at face value. So high would be at one end and low would be at the other end. That's not to put the disorder in two categories--that's just identifying the extremes of the spectrum.
Not sure if you misinterpreted, but I agree but the expressions of the disorder aren't being classified, the traits are (tho admittedly extremely bluntly).

I think I mean "expressions of the disorder" the way you mean "trait", maybe.

Excerpt
A spectrum of disorder may, particularly due to comorbidity. I've been trying to research medical/clinical opinions recently, and there seem to be surprisingly few  professionals so far who do not believe BPD/NPD are always co-morbid to some extent.

Interesting. Cluster B is a cluster for a reason, I guess!

Excerpt
In the example I outlined above, Group A are low functioning. So someone who is less impaired is more impulsive, not less.

I see--thanks for the clarification!
lovenature

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 10:44:15 PM »

The higher functioning the less visible their disorder is to anyone that isn't too close and the more life in general works for them. The lower functioning the more visible their disorder is to others who aren't that close to them and the less life in general works for them.
The lower functioning they are, the more likely they are to get the help they need.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest