Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 08:38:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Expert insight for adult children
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
How to spot a liar
Pamela Meyer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My son is choosing a partner who is BPD  (Read 341 times)
NeedSupportPls
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« on: March 19, 2017, 01:07:04 PM »

Hello Community,

My 30 year old son has chosen a partner who I believe to be a high functioning BPD. For the past 5 years I have observed odd, difficult, crazy and angry behavior. When I ask my son about it, he makes excuses, says she's not like this when I'm not around, and shrugs his shoulders. The co-dependency was obvious. At first I just thought she was difficult. My siblings have called her strange, or a ___. When I stopped taking her very hostile behavior personally, I felt that she has trauma locked in her body that gets easily triggered. I have mentioned to my son that I thought she needed counseling. He is conflict avoidant. Either way, I have been struggling to support my son's choice, and appreciate his partner. Recently a friend named BPD, and after reading "Stop Walking on Eggshells", I recognize so many traits... .It's all making sense.

My question is, how can I present this information to my son without alienating him? I do not want to butt in on their relationship, yet feel it is my duty to make sure my son has the information he needs in order to make educated decisions. His partner's high functioning makes it a bit dicier.  On an individual basis, many of her behaviors can be excused, yet the overall pattern is unmistakeable. Do BPD's tend to stay stable at whatever level they function, or can they deteriorate?

They are talking about buying a house, a further enmeshment. What's a mother to do?

Thanks for your input.
Hurtin' Momma
Naughty Nibbler

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 03:30:20 PM »

Welcome  NeedSupportPls:  

Sorry to hear about the difficulty with your son's partner.  Whether his partner can wear the label of BPD or not doesn't really matter.  What matters most, is to learn communication skills to manage the way you interact with his partner and react to her.  You are wise to come here and prepare for the future.
Quote from: NeedSupportPls
My question is, how can I present this information to my son without alienating him? I do not want to butt in on their relationship, yet feel it is my duty to make sure my son has the information he needs in order to make educated decisions. His partner's high functioning makes it a bit dicier. . .When I ask my son about it, he makes excuses, says she's not like this when I'm not around, and shrugs his shoulders. The co-dependency was obvious
That's a tough situation. People with BPD (pwBPD) commonly engage in a behavior called SPLITTING .  She sees you as a threat and perhaps a need to compete with you for your son.  Right now, your son is probably idealized and "painted white", while you might be on the opposite side of the spectrum and "painted black".

You say your son is codependent.  That seems to be a common situation.  Many times the son will take the partner's side, especially while he is "painted white".  Those who are codependent are apt to join forces with their partner and eliminate their FOO from their life, and appease the pwBPD in all regards.  Be careful. If you son says he doesn't see issues with his partner, he won't likely relate to what you might try to share about BPD. Some codependents might share what you say with their partner, or their partner might catch wind of your thoughts in some way (overhearing a phone conversation, monitoring your son's email, texts, etc.  Some codependent don't keep much private, if they have a jealous partner.

Be careful of what you do and say.  You are better off to NOT disagree with any position his partner takes.  :)on't JADE (Justify, Argue, Defend or Explain).  

Be very careful of social media.  If you give your son and his partner (or anyone associated with them) access to your Facebook or other shared media, do not disagree with anything they say or will read and perhaps interpret as some slight or disagreement with anything connected with them.  Keep with the logic that if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything.

They are talking about buying a house, a further enmeshment. What's a mother to do?

I appreciate you concern.  Buying a house with friend or partner, outside of marriage, has lots of potential for disaster. I've been through that experience and learned some lessons the hard way.  No matter how much you want to rescue your son from a disaster, it isn't likely possible.

Others might have different opinions to share.  Unfortunately, you will likely be walking on eggshells around your son's partner.  Since he is codependent, you have to be careful with him as well.

Do you have any thoughts about some possible root cause of your son's co-dependence?  Is it an issue he admits to?  Has he tried to address the problem?  

On an individual basis, many of her behaviors can be excused, yet the overall pattern is unmistakeable.
What are the behaviors that can be excused, versus what is unmistakable

Do BPD's tend to stay stable at whatever level they function, or can they deteriorate?  
One size doesn't fit all, but stressful event or life changes can bring on some undesirable behavior.  I've heard several stories that center around a wedding and how a MIL is painted very black after the wedding.  After the wedding, there can be lots of opportunity for problems.  You can't expect to be able to easily work through the types of disagreements you might have with more normal people. So, the best plan will to be to prevent disputes, disagreements, opinions, etc.  You won't usually have anything you way or get apologies.  One logic to use is, "decide what hill do you want to die on" - meaning before you JADE something, be sure that it is so important to you, that you are prepared for the consequences of a rage, the silent treatment, painted black or blacker, etc.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest