Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 05:56:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Letting off steam  (Read 364 times)
foggydew

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend
Relationship status: widowed/7 years

« on: March 24, 2017, 07:23:36 PM »

Long time since I posted. Much has happened, culminating in friend moving back to the block of flats we both live in. I have helped. Driven him around, fetched furniture etc. There was hardly anyone else to do so. I lent him the money to replace the car he totalled. He is trying to start again, under difficult circumstances, after having 8 weeks in rehab for alcohol abuse... or addiction, who knows. I would do that for any family member close to me, and that is how I consider him. He has just told me he thinks I am possessive. I would so like to get on with my own life too, which I have put temporarily on hold because his need was pretty great. Sure, it's nice he is here as family. Sure, I like spending time with him. That is friendship, or? Yes, in the past, there were incidents. In the past. I have been trying to reassure him that I don't mind doing things for him at the moment. But this idea that I am being possessive annoyed me so much I asked him to leave. I'd so much like to say that he shouldn't contact me for a few days so that I can have my own life back...
And my stepdaughter asked if he is drinking again ... .yes, he is a bit. But it is not my business and I don't want to talk about it to her. But she continues and contnues, even though I keep saying it is not her business and not my business. Not my responsibility.
Sometimes I'd like to be a hermit.

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

foggydew

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 03:07:22 AM »

'Letting off steam' in this way helps because I see my own behaviour made (semi) public and it helps me try and work out what is bothering me. I no longer feel engulfed or dependent, and I can see that I am trying not to go into 'tit for tat' mode. This would mean I am again reacting to what he does, and he is in control again. Friend is showing some manipulative traits and falling back into his old drinking behaviour. So I shouldn't get annoyed or react - just do what I want to do. I have helped a lot, now it is his turn to get himself under control again. Not my responsibility.

heartandwhole
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 11:43:24 AM »

Hi foggydew,

I know I'd be irritated if my friend said I was being possessive after helping him out in the way you have. I'm glad you find benefit in writing out your feelings—you have every right to feel that way.

I don't see anything wrong with telling him that you need a few days to yourself. We all need time out to recharge our batteries sometimes. Maybe you could use SET and let him know what you need to do for yourself, and how you will look forward to seeing him again when you've had your alone time. I totally get the hermit feeling. I've actually contemplated taking some months out and becoming a hermit.

Do you think your daughter is just worried about you, knowing how things have been in the past? It takes time for loved ones to catch up with us sometimes. Time for them to feel confident that things have changed.

As you say, your friend's life is not your responsibility. How are you feeling about yours these days?

heartandwhole

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
foggydew

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 04:58:29 AM »

Thanks, HaW. Nice to be validated, helps a lot. My stepdaughter has been abusive to me in the past, has bipolar, and is often jealous of uBPD person, though she tries to conceal it.
Well, after I wrote that, I had a bad fall, and now friend is really helping out, doing things for me and keeping me company. He's really trying to be nice and helpful, and I just have to wait till I'm fit again before I can pick up my life.

heartandwhole
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 05:02:57 AM »

Oh no, I wish you a speedy recovery foggydew! I'm glad to hear that your friend is helping out when you need support. I'm sure that will help your recovery. 

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest