Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 07:37:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Poll
Question: What tools/skills have not worked so well for you in managing your relationship with your child and family?
Listening with empathy - 1 (5.6%)
Validating the valid - 2 (11.1%)
Responding with S.E.T. - 0 (0%)
Staying in WiseMind - 0 (0%)
Establishing/enforcing limits - 9 (50%)
Redirecting to a problem solving model - 4 (22.2%)
Practicing "good" (vs "bad") triangulation - 2 (11.1%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What tools/skills haven't worked so well for you?—let's discuss  (Read 1063 times)
wendydarling
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2017, 09:56:47 AM »

A happy Sunday to all. 

I'm wondering how everyone's getting on sharpening their tool kit, are you struggling with a tool that's not worked so well for you yet?

My 28DD shortly completes 12 months DBT.   Yesterday she posted:

"This day two years ago was the start of my journey in being diagnosed with BPD despite having it for most of my life. I've come a long way" and so I have too, we continue to learn together to understand this disorder, make small gentle changes on our path.

DD is cat sitting for a friend, she's been there a week and is anxious about her 8month old kitten Hope. DD's struggled with sleeping since last August, I find when she manages one behaviour, another pushes itself forwards to the fore.

Text message earlier - we've texted though not spoken for a week and DD is likely in need of reassurance, empathy and validation:

'I had so many nightmares about losing Hope last night '
'Oof I'm sorry, that's hard, you are anxious. Shall we speak a little later? xxx'
''Yes ok Smiling (click to insert in post) xxx"
"4pm ok for you? xxx"
"Yes xxx"

Personally texting I find very difficult, face to face for me works.

WDx

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Mamadukes

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2017, 05:37:07 PM »

Livednlearned, you mentioned the thing about how successes can be scary for the pwBPD because he might worry that support systems will go away if he is succeeding. Yes! that's in the excellent Family Guidelines on the NEABPD site, here: www.borderlinepersonalitydisorder.com/family-connections/family-guidelines/

I was reminded, by an NEABPD program coordinator, to revisit those guidelines when I had to cancel my Family Connections intensive weekend on Friday in order to be with s26 just discharged from the hospital (BTW it became crystal clear that I needed to be home for him this weekend, as strongly recommended by team at the hospital -- kind of a no-brainer, but I really wanted to attend that workshop!).

So I need to be mindful of going slow with him this week (re: not too much talk about successes). I have seen him react badly to success comments (though kudos have their place, done minimally and carefully). His skillful social worker said to him at discharge, "You know about one day at a time? You need to take it one minute at a time."  I really like that. And the other salient point she made was, "just make it to your appointments on Monday & Tuesday." Righto!

The hospitalization turned out successfully:
- got him out of his stuck spot (literally stuck in the house, in despair, and not in treatment)
- he learned a few things, and felt good there socially, yay!
- and above all, resulted in a new, more intensive treatment plan

WendyD, your text sounded perfect!  I too would not want to have a real conversation by text.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2017, 01:20:03 PM »

@wendydarling,

It has to feel so good to know DD wrote that she has come a long way  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) and that she completes 12 months of DBT so soon.

Nicely done with the text too, empathy + validation + reassurance  Smiling (click to insert in post)

@mamadukes,

Thanks for the link to the family guidelines.

Somewhere I also read about choice of language -- like the difference between saying, "I admire you" (we are equals) versus "I am proud of you." (you are beneath me) Is that from Family Connections do you happen to know?

There was something else about the word "but" because it tends to be invalidating to what came immediately before. To use "and" instead.

I wish I could remember where these came from. I was talking to SO about these small phrases and he asked if he could read more, and I am all out of guesses to where these come from.

Anyone know?

Breathe.
Lollypop

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2017, 04:25:17 PM »

Hi LNL & WD

Chapter 6 validating phrases is useful in I Dont Have To Make Everything Better by the Lundbergs. I think the "and" instead of "but" may be in the book too.  I could do with brushing up.

WD: you're text example was brilliant. I can see I'm way too wordy most of the time.

Psychiatrist visit tomorrow - can't come soon enough.

LP

I did my best. He told me I wasn’t good enough. White
Confusedalldaylo
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2017, 09:42:06 AM »

I have a daughter 13 who needs residential treatment for stabilization. Has anyone had a good experience with a facility? They all seem to have such bad reviews. Please help.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2017, 10:00:30 AM »

I have a daughter 13 who needs residential treatment for stabilization. Has anyone had a good experience with a facility? They all seem to have such bad reviews. Please help.

Hi Confusedalldaylo,

I do not have personal experience with RTCs, but you may find lbjnltx's story to be helpful. Her daughter went through an RTC program and she journaled the experience here.

Smiling (click to insert in post)

LnL

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest