Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 04:39:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New here  (Read 349 times)
AmericanInItaly
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: April 17, 2017, 06:32:37 AM »

Hi. I am married to a woman whom I am sure has BPD. We have a ten year old. I have read the books and they are like a story of my life. I don't want to divorce and I do love her but I am genuinely afraid that her BPD is scarring our child. Today she was mad he wasn't doing his homework and she dragged him out of the house. I tried to stop and told her it must stop and then I became the problem and she sat and for a half an hour explained to him how the entire situation was his and my fault. He was crying uncontrollably begging her to stop and it made no difference. I don't know anymore what to do. I feel helpless and we spend 90% of our energy keeping away from her explosions. I love abroad and have no real access to any mental health pros and for sure not anyone with experience in BPD. I am tired of feeling I am sacrificing my son but also know if we divorce here he will lose the only balanced normal influence in his life. This is all not to mention the unbelievably heavy burden I carry daily with her against me for everything ever wrong in her world and out world and the world in general. Hoping to finish be some help here. Greetings.
takingandsending

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Married, 15 years; together 18 years

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 03:01:37 PM »

Hi AmericanInItaly and Welcome to bpdfamily.

It is incredibly difficult to know the best course when you are in a situation of explosive anger, especially when there are young children involved. It's hard to know what to do in the moment, as you witness abusive behavior happening to your child, which leads to that feeling of helplessness. Based on what you said, you want to stay married but are worried about your wife's BPD damaging your son. I completely understand your feelings, and you are definitely not alone.

The first things that you can do are to learn as much as you can about how not to make the volatility in the household worse. I recommend reading and posting on the Improving Board, https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?board=6.0, as there are a lot of valuable communication tools on that page.

I remember watching my uBPDxw yelling at my S11 (think he was 8 or 9 at the time) as he lay on the sofa with a pillow covering his head asking her to stop. I was horrified, and I felt powerless to change it. Stuff like that eats away at you. Are you certain there you have no access to a therapist, even if it is not covered by insurance? My T helped me to see that I was not wrong to come to the defense of my son in those types of conflicts, even as my wife berated me for always taking his side. The T reminded me that I was the only person functioning as an adult in those moments, and it was my responsibility to care for the children first. I developed a routine of interceding, drawing boundaries around speech (for both my son and wife), and I would remove him and me from the room or house when my wife was starting a dysregulation. I learned from the Improving Board how to create clear, consistent boundaries, did my best to validate my wife's experience and committed to returning in half an hour after working with my son. First and foremost, I made the commitment to be there for him. Sounds like you are being placed in a similar situation.

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I, too, worried about what would happen to both of my sons if I divorced. In the end, it is a very personal decision to stay or to go. Either way, there are people on this board that can help walk this journey with you and support you as much as possible. Try to go easy on yourself, and believe that you have the strength needed to protect your son during your wife's dysregulations. Learn what you can to not make things worse. It does and can get better. It will be up to you to decide if "better" is good enough. Hang in there. Lean on family or any willing ears that you can.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest