Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 03:05:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emotional dismantling of 10 year old child  (Read 347 times)
AmericanInItaly
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: April 17, 2017, 09:46:40 AM »

Hi. I am married to a woman whom I am sure has BPD. We have a ten year old. I have read the books and they are like a story of my life. I don't want to divorce and I do love her but I am genuinely afraid that her BPD is scarring our child.

Today she was mad he wasn't doing his homework and she grabbed him and dragged him out of the house screaming at him to get out. I tried to stop and told her it must stop and then I became the problem and she sat and for a half an hour explained to him how the entire situation was his and my fault. He was crying uncontrollably begging her to stop and it made no difference. She raged for about a half an hour blaming him for everything wrong in our relationship and everything else - he cried and cried and begged her forgiveness (for what?  being a kid?) I don't know anymore what to do.

I feel helpless and we spend 90% of our energy keeping away from her explosions. I live abroad and have no real access to any mental health pros and for sure not anyone with experience in BPD.

I am tired of feeling I am sacrificing my son by staying but also know if we divorce over here, getting full custody is almost impossible and then at least 50% of the time he will lose the only balanced normal influence in his life. This is all not even mentioning the unbelievably heavy burden I carry daily with her against me for everything ever wrong in her world and our world and the world in general.

Hoping to find some help here. Some insights?  :)o I try to confront her? DO I continue placating? How to teach my son that he is in the middle of a storm he can't control or influence?  

I am trying to follow the ideas from the books to take care of her inner-sadness and fears - but there is only so much one human can take!  Only so many times you can be told that literally everything 100% is your fault and watch the emotional dismantling of your child -

Any thoughts can help - feeling very cut off from the world I know and helpless to positive steps over here.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 01:55:37 PM »

Welcome to the board ,

I am sorry for the situation you find yourself it. Living with a pwBPD is hard enough for just the spouse, I cannot imagine how much more difficult with children. Unfortunately the trauma in the home that you child is experiencing could affect him for the rest of his life if he does not get help in working through those emotions. The same for you. It's important that you take care of yourself emotionally too. You may not be able to find a counselor that specialized in BPD, but you may be able to find a counselor that works with children and trauma and a counselor who works with people in co-dependent relationships. I bet if you looked hard enough you would be able to find counselors for personality disorders too. BPD doesn't just happen in America. Counselors all throughout the world deal with the same types of disorders.

We have a lot of great resources on the right side of the page. You'll find information on how to communicate better with your pwBPD, how to take care of yourself, and just about the dynamics in general in living with someone with BPD.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

patientandclear

Relationship status: single

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 08:20:25 AM »

How to teach my son that he is in the middle of a storm he can't control or influence?

That was hard to read. Your poor kid. Echoing what was said above and what I can see you already know, that this will do lasting damage to him. But an interpretive lens from a therapist and from you can help him externalize the source of his pain and not take this on board any more than is unavoidable when your mom talks to you like that.

Most important and most in your control is that you talk with him privately and affirm that that is not OK. That he is not the cause of any problems with his mom or with your marriage. That he should not be tossed out of the house for not doing homework--setting aside the homework issue, home needs to be a safe place for him. Directly criticizing his mom may prompt him to defend her and be seen as you somehow getting something out of attacking her, but there is a way to acknowledge what he likely already perceives--that she sometimes feels bad inside and processes that unconsciously in ways that scapegoat him or others close to her, and that that is not OK, and that you are trying to figure out how best to deal with it. Then give him space to talk and explain how he feels about it. Then validate his experience.

The point you made above, that her way of seeing things is distorted and he can't control or take responsibility for that--also is an important message.

Kids going through such a thing without a trusted adult confirming that there is something wrong with it are suffering double abandonment, from the parent directly inflicting the torment and from the parent standing by. Your words quoted above are eloquent and if you share that perspective with him, he'll have a reliable lens to use to process all of this and will have some reason to think he is not crazy and you are working to make things better--even if you don't fully know how yet.

For therapy for you or him: some therapists will work via Skype or phone under these circumstances. Less than ideal but better than nothing. Seems really important for your son to have someone who is "just his" to talk with, but also important for the therapist to have background from you on the dynamic.

My heart goes out to you. My kid's dad does similar harm.  Fortunately we split when she was little and he has very little time with her, but he still manages to make it all about him, he uses her to make himself feel better, etc. Worst is hearing from her how much she wants a "real dad" and knowing how much it would help her if he could actually listen to her, hear her, show up for her emotionally. He can't, though, and me confirming that without unduly attacking her dad (and affirming what good there is to affirm) at least appears to help her navigate her landscape and trust her own knowledge and reactions.

I understand the worry about leaving your kid 50% of the time in an unmitigated exposure to someone like that. I will say that having some zone of safety is super important. If you can genuinely provide that for your son while still in the marriage that may be best, but if you can't, the importance of having a piece of life that is not crazy and hurtful can't be overestimated.

Sorry; I know how tough it is.
isilme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 11:18:18 AM »

As a child of two pwBPD who stayed together for 15 years of my life, I can say that their divorce was the best thing they ever did for me.  Even though I was handed over to Dad who was more sociopath than straight BPD, cutting the drama in half and being neglected was far better than watching them literally try to kill each other or themselves.

I grew up being told I was the reason they were together, the reason they were unhappy, and it was my job to "fix" their lives.  I got yelled at and beaten for things they each did but "forgot".  Simple things, like leaving water rings from an iced-tea glass on a table.  I never drank iced-tea as a child, and rarely put ice in anything as Mom would be mad if the ice was all gone, and it made noise going into the glass, and I was told to always be as quiet as possible.  Mom shrieked about it, so Dad whipped me for it to make her be quiet.  It was her tea glass that left the rings.  This was my life.  Stepping in prevent the blows between them, to talk one or the other out of suicide (or in Dad's case, murder suicide).  Doing rescue breathing till the paramedics arrived when Mom decided to OD as a coping mechanism.  Pulling Dad off her when he tried to strangle her while getting ready for church on Father's Day (yes, hard to forget it).  These are the more dramatic days.  There were quieter ones, too, where the odd emotional dependnecy my mother had on me were evident, where I was to bolster her up and be her BFF, stand in for emotional support Dad did not give her, and the fact she did very little mothering the older I got, and our roles swapped effectively by the time I was 12. 

You don't want you kid seeing more of this than you can help. 

Can you separate in some way that does not necessarily end in divorce or require a custody hearing?  Can the child stay with other, safer, relatives for a while?  Can you start talking to an attorney, not so much to start a divorce, but to prepare for a custody battle now just in case?  Many mental health professionals don't seem to like to diagnose BPD, and it's rare that the person with it will get help, or benefit from going.  But you and your son can seek some sort of help.  If not therapists, maybe the clergy could at least listen. 

Also, just an idea, you may seek out some help or advice on the board for children of those with BPD on this same site - explain you are asking for your son, how he as a child can be helped, and what resources may exist in your part of the world about which you may not know. 

And mostly, try to take care of yourself - you need some energy left to take care of the boy, and can't deplete it all. 

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest