Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 04:37:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New member looking for some advice  (Read 365 times)
eggfry

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: April 26, 2017, 10:13:23 AM »

I was really happy to see that there was a support group out there for people who care for a BPD person. I'm not sure where to start or where my current situation fits.

I've been dating someone for over two years who has BPD but isn't diagnosed. We live abroad and the country I'm in is not accepting of mental health issues. It's very difficult to find support. My boyfriend/sometimes exboyfriend (it's off an on depending on his moods) has struggled with his temper, mood swings and alcoholism. It's sometimes a level of unhealthy and at the worst I've had to call 911 after he's hurt himself. During his angry periods he says a lot of things, the first things that comes to his head. I know at times it's the anger talking and getting the best of him, but it's hurtful. We go through these phases of ups and downs, where either I'm the best person or the worst. Having conversations about anything where he has made a mistake typically end with him being mad about something that doesn't quite make sense or connect or to deflect any responsibility for his actions. My friends have isolated him due to those worse times and no one I know has been through this sort of thing. We try to make it work but I'm having a lot of difficulty being non reactive and not letting the words he says or his actions get to me. He always threatens to leave or break up or on the opposite end say he's not good enough. It flip flops but he when he's a bit more stable he wants the relationship and to work things out. He wants to attend couples therapy. I'm not sure my feelings can stay the same, I feel tired and worn down. I'm not sure what to do or where to start. Part of me wants this to work and the other part wants to not go through this cycle of destruction.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 02:05:10 PM »

Hi eggfry ,

Welcome to the boards! Your story sounds like so many others here. You've found a great place for support and guidance. We have a lot of lessons on the right side of the page that can help you learn more about BPD, how to communicate better with your pwBPD, and most importantly, how to take care of yourself. Is there anything in particular you are struggling with right now?

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

isilme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 04:08:55 PM »

Excerpt
I'm having a lot of difficulty being non reactive and not letting the words he says or his actions get to me.

This really is one of the biggest things to comitt to learning if you plan to stay in this relationship.  Some things said from BPD do not really need comment, and should not be reacted to.  It's different couple to couple, but while we cannot make the BPD go away, we CAN work on how our reactions to it actually fuel the fire and make things even worse.

I look at it a lot like my H has a disability.  Instead of being in a chair or having some obvious visible sign he has it, it's tied to his emotions.  Much like a condition like diabetes, with proper care, mindfulness and a change in behaviors, it can be easier to live with, but there will still be bad days or the potential for things to get off track.  

Looking at it like this helps me, a little, not focus as much on how much some comments sting, hurt, are meant to be mean, are just plain wrong, and often are intended to trigger me into fighting so he can vent his painfully negative emotions.

He has confided, after many years, that he cannot feel he got his anger out unless he yells at a person.  This was a big breakthrough for us.  So he's mad at the weather - has to yell at me.  Has a flat tire?  Has to yell at me.  Mad at his boss, you get the idea.  Knowing this, even though I know it's not right for him to yell at me when I'm not the cause of things (and he HAS overall gotten better even if right now he's struggling) has helped me distance myself a bit from allowing the hurt in.

pwBPD can't admit their own culpability in their own drama, and so they pick fights to be free to turn it around and blame YOU for the fight THEY started.  In their head, it all makes sense.  They'd not need to fight with you if you;d just not do things they think make them upset (even if they were already used before you even came into the room).

That's one of my big boundaries - a barrier around the hurt I could allow myself to feel if I did not realize that BPD is a bit like alcohol - it may make you say things that make sense at the time and "feel" like they are true, but they aren't.  So when he goes off, I distance myself physically if possible, and emotionally regardless.  I see the BPD as an emotional parasite, feeding off of his inability to control himself at times.  Like the witch in Hansel and Gretel fattening them up with sweets, BPD wants to feast on dysfunction and anger and rage.

H has similar ups and downs - he's either the best whatever in the world, damn everyone else, or he's pond scum, the lowest of the low.  Neither is good, as they are both exaggerations and extremes, as one type of thinking set up the other a few days later when it all falls apart.

Yes - it's hurtful.  And it sucks - as the more emotionally "able" person, YOU will bear a larger brunt of the responsibility for managing your own actions than your SO will his.  YOU will be more mindful, and likely in some cases more of an adult at times.  That is part of accepting staying and working on it - you accept that your loved one is disabled, just in a way that is hard to see unless you are around 24/7.  Therapy, IMO, is shakey at best for BPD - they often can't take the advice of a therapist as it is probably quite invalidating.  Posting here helps.  Writing helps.  Reading the tools and lessons help.

Atl951

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 03:21:58 PM »

I was really happy to see that there was a support group out there for people who care for a BPD person. I'm not sure where to start or where my current situation fits.

I've been dating someone for over two years who has BPD but isn't diagnosed. We live abroad and the country I'm in is not accepting of mental health issues. It's very difficult to find support. My boyfriend/sometimes exboyfriend (it's off an on depending on his moods) has struggled with his temper, mood swings and alcoholism. It's sometimes a level of unhealthy and at the worst I've had to call 911 after he's hurt himself. During his angry periods he says a lot of things, the first things that comes to his head. I know at times it's the anger talking and getting the best of him, but it's hurtful. We go through these phases of ups and downs, where either I'm the best person or the worst. Having conversations about anything where he has made a mistake typically end with him being mad about something that doesn't quite make sense or connect or to deflect any responsibility for his actions. My friends have isolated him due to those worse times and no one I know has been through this sort of thing. We try to make it work but I'm having a lot of difficulty being non reactive and not letting the words he says or his actions get to me. He always threatens to leave or break up or on the opposite end say he's not good enough. It flip flops but he when he's a bit more stable he wants the relationship and to work things out. He wants to attend couples therapy. I'm not sure my feelings can stay the same, I feel tired and worn down. I'm not sure what to do or where to start. Part of me wants this to work and the other part wants to not go through this cycle of destruction.

I'm glad you saw my post and it made you feel like you're not alone in going through this. I feel the same and have been visiting this site more and more. The people are really wonderful. Your description of your boyfriend sounds so much like my husband. My husband is foreign and has a pretty negative cultural attitude towards mental health treatment. I did get him to start seeing an individual therapist about 18 months ago and he is on a few medications for anxiety and OCD. The meds really helped with the anger and outbursts, if that is encouraging at all. I also think it's really positive that he is willing to go to couples therapy. Is he willing to try and cut down on his drinking?

Can I suggest that you try individual therapy too? Is that an option? I have a great therapist I've been seeing for a while and also am currently in the process of starting with a new Dr. hoping she can help me give my H appropriate support while still drawing clear boundaries regarding what behavior I will and will not accept. My goal is to either get the tools to improve the relationship or the strength to leave it.

We have been together for over 5 years and I can say from experience the anger and emotional and verbal abuse will take a toll. After a while I stopped feeling any emotions at all, just a constant low level anxiety. I found myself just reacting to him, trying not to cause any conflict, and completely shutting down. I didn't even know how I felt or what I needed and at the same time I wasn't able to give him what he needed. Even after things improved, the trust and intimacy never really returned which is when the affair(s) happened. I am now trying to assess if we can get any of the good parts of our relationship back. I know how hard it is deciding whether to stay or leave when you truly love the person.

Have you tried reading Walking on Eggshells? It's kind of the Bible around here. Also I just finished a book called Stop Caretaking the Borderline or Narcissist which really hit home for me.
eggfry

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 07:31:28 AM »

Thank you for all your advice, it really is helpful to hear other people's stories and experiences. I will also read Walking on Eggshells. I've been trying to research as much as I can to understand our situation and what his life is like. I believe that it is probably painful and at times very lonely for him. At the same time, I realize there's a lot of things we have to address.

isilme-Your perspective on thinking of it as a disability was very helpful. Initially I felt pretty resentful when I made my first post. But your description of what you've gone through and how you view BPD made me think about my reactions. I think distancing myself physically and emotionally during those times is probably the best idea.

atl951-Unfortunately we can't see a therapist in our country of residence. One can lose their job by going and dr. patient confidentiality doesn't really exist. I have considered using an online therapist but it is still risky. Hopefully in 6 months we'll be moved back to the states.

I'm trying to draw boundaries with him. In the past during the worst of times, it had gotten seriously out of hand to the point where it got physical and I had to call 911. It was before I knew that something more was going on with him. I just knew we'd be arguing and the next moment he would do something extreme that seemed unconnected. It made no sense to me but perfect sense to him. Also a lot of gas lighting.

What I want to know is how you make things work? I've read a lot of posts and it seems like a lot of people who were previously in r/s with pwBPD seem very tired and bitter. I can't deny that the lying, the verbal abuse, the anger weighs on me. And some of the past traumatic experiences we didn't get closure on due to being unable to bring up things that are uncomfortable for him. I know that things can't ever be the same, but are they ways to restore trust and love? A success story out there? He says he's committed to making things work and willing to seek out therapy.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest