Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 12:49:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking the step to identify my partner's disorder in hopes of saving me  (Read 361 times)
miamimommy
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: May 06, 2017, 02:27:23 PM »

I am trying this for the first time. An online forum to help with the drama i have been engaging in and living with for over 10 years. My partner is not officially diagnosed but fits the criteria, after doing a checklist BPD is the only thing that makes sense. In fact he thinks i have it. I have been told by numerous professionals i suffer from anxiety and depression. and childhood trauma recovery. He refuses to get a good handle on his issues and based on the little i have read tonight it seems he is very much a roller coaster black and white personality. We have two small children and due to his poor impulse control he brings them into our mess whenever he feels like he wants to get to me. To try and get me to behave or say certain things to make him feel secure in our relationship. he controls me with money, threatens me with custody battles and we haven't even seen a lawyer yet. This has gotten too serious for me to continue to think we will survive this so I am not taking the first step by writing on here to specifcially get some help to free myself from this demon. His demons are taking over and damaging my psyche. Which is fragile to begin with .
any help? thoughts? directions?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

BeagleGirl

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 11:13:42 PM »

Miamimommy,
    Welcome. I'm so sorry that you are going through all of this and hope you can find hope and help here.

It sounds to me like your primary focus is protecting and maintaining custody of your children, and that is what your husband is using to control you. It also sounds like you feel helpless in the situation. I would encourage you to seek out legal advice. Even if you do not start the process of separation, "knowledge is power" and knowing your rights may help you to reclaim a sense of your ability to choose.

I would also encourage you to find a friend or family member you can trust to help you get and process the information you get. This board will (hopefully) be a tremendous help, but it should be just one of the sources of support. Do you have someone you can trust to help you through this?
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 09:20:17 AM »

Welcome

I'm so glad you found us.  You have found a place where people "get it".  We've been part of the crazy ups, downs and accusations.  Having your brain emotionally scrambled is exhausting.

There is hope!  Please make sure your browsing is private so you can learn a better way, without interference from your SO.  

Right now the goal is to educate you and help you make decisions for you and your child.

My reaction to his rollercoasters is also very poor and i need help to manage my day to day  

I am so pleased that you realize this.  Why?  Because this is 100% in your control and changing this WILL change your entire relationship (we say r/s on the boards)... .regardless if your hubby wants to come along or not. (please don't tell him this... keep your knowledge private)

i am scared for my children when he turns on them.  

What does this look like?  I've got 8 kids.  BPDish stuff didn't show up in our relationship until much later in life.  I am doing much better at protecting my children and helping them thrive.  It takes wise decisions AND consistent actions on those decisions.

It will take several posts before we get into specific recommendations.

Generally, I want to educate you first, then help you plan the first thing or two that you want to change and then be consistent and firm with changes that YOU implement.  Let your hubby react to you, vice the other way around.

I'm positive we can help your r/s stablize and very likely we can help you improve it.  We'll never know exactly where change will take us.  Step 1 is to turn things in a better direction.  

How does this sound to you?

Last questions.  Anyone in therapy or ever been in therapy?  Have you been "told" you are "likely" suffering from anxiety and depression or were you diagnosed and treated for that?  Any marriage counseling?  Has that ever been discussed?

FF

miamimommy
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 03:47:12 AM »

how do i reply to your comments?
heartandwhole
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 05:15:17 AM »

how do i reply to your comments?

You got it, miamimommy.  Smiling (click to insert in post) Just click "reply" on the little green menu bar (top, right) and type into the text box as you did here.

heartandwhole

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest