Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 06:56:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intro and question  (Read 352 times)
tennysongirl

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: May 07, 2017, 12:29:51 PM »

Hello!

New to the BPD support group and needing insight.

Is anyone else who has been/or is currently in a relationship with someone suffering BPD ever been the subject of multiple and repeated breakup attempts, only to have the person regret their decision and promise to never mention divorce again a few days to weeks later? Spouse and i have been together 5 years, married 3, and i've never experienced a pattern in a relationship like this. Having a discussion on what seems like should be a mild topic, gets a little out of hand, and at the end of the argument, spouse is fuming, highly volatile, and proclaiming he wants a divorce. Several times he or i have physically moved out of the house and lived elsewhere, only to have him realize that it's not what he wanted after all, is willing to "try again", only to have the pattern repeated again several months to a year later?

it's been a struggle living between the extremes of being happily married and then splitting up for the past several years. i am reading books specifically for communicating with someone with BPD, attending personal therapy, and will be attending a mindfulness meditation group weekly in an effort to learn how to better communicate with my spouse and control my own emotions. He is currently in DBT therapy weekly and attending DBT groups also weekly, so he is trying and aware. Was looking for any insight or similar stories and was curious what may have worked or didn't work. Thanks!
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

WifeOfProbableBP

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 03:31:38 PM »

Oh yeah, I've experienced it. And, from what I've read, it's very a very common pattern. It wouldn't surprise me that, those times he comes crawling back, he doesn't take full responsibility and says things like "I'm sorry, but if you hadn't ___ we wouldn't be in this situation" or "It YOUR fault" or "You make me ___" or "I did ___ because YOU ___" or "I lost my temper, but this could have all been avoided if you had just ___."
I'm really glad he's in DBT.
Best wishes to you. Hang in there.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest