Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 05:25:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD Wife has first DBT Session Tomorrow  (Read 358 times)
Sprout2

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: May 08, 2017, 01:07:25 AM »

I am really nervous about what to expect tomorrow after my BPD wife attends her first DBT session. Not sure if it will be a trigger or a positive thing. She's spent the past few weeks going through a battery of tests to see "Where I (she) need to go". I'm just happy she is attending because when she came home after her first session with the recommended physiologist from her physiatrist she said the lady "Laughed at the BPD diagagnosis and thinks I just have anxiety caused by you (me)". It will be a very interesting 24 hrs. I'm just hoping others may share what to expect based on their experiences since I'm tired of being anxious myself always waiting to see which wife is going to walk through the door when she comes home.

Thanks for any insight!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

BrianTx

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 07:29:10 AM »

At least she is getting some kind of help.  I understand how you feel about being blamed for her anxiety.  I am sure that is because your wife painted a picture that presented her view point and not reality.  Understand that you could be a source of her anxiety if you are invalidating her.  I was unaware that I was doing this to my wife until I read about it.
flourdust

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: In the process of divorce after 12 year marriage

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 08:41:39 AM »

What's her attitude about the DBT program?

When my wife started DBT, her attitude bounced between "I'm in the right program to help me" and "I'm only doing this because you're forcing me to go," depending on her mood of the moment.

I saw improvement in the first few weeks in the program, when she seemed to be consciously trying to use the skills. Later, she started getting into interpersonal drama in the program, using the skills to "prove" that I was the bad guy, and otherwise not really benefitting from participation.

But others have reported more success, after a lot of time and effort, and with realistic goals.

What are you (or she) hoping to happen as a result of DBT?

Jester20
formerly Hulu

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 03:37:49 PM »

Hi,
My husband is in his 9th month of group DBT.
I too dreaded it at first... .the first few weeks he was quiet the evenings before group and never really slept well. Sometimes he comes back feeling really positive and says it was a really good session other weeks he cones back and is quiet, withdrawn and maybe I can sense some stress. I normally just give him space if I sense that and he may or may not open up a few days later.
If he doesn't then I don't ask... .it's none of my business... .as long as he is going then I'm happy.
My husband has never had a go at me following it... .never blamed me etc.
Sprout2

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 02:39:47 AM »

Flourdust - I'm glad she's going but a few months back she didn't think she needed "Any Of This Stuff".  I hope she finds the skills to see reality like those around her and stops thinking that most things are against her. What I really want is that sweet loving woman I married back but I know this is my new reality and I'm trying to adjust and understand better.
flourdust

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: In the process of divorce after 12 year marriage

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 06:44:47 AM »

Hi, Sprout2. You can certainly do some work yourself -- there are some good resources in the "Lessons" links to the right of this page. (You may have to scroll up or down to see them.)

It's probably true that a best-case scenario is that your wife is able to somewhat manage her behaviors (and the thought processes that lead to them) some of the time, but there will still be challenges.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest