Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 16, 2024, 12:15:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you maintain a relationship with a mother who has BPD?  (Read 350 times)
Reenie
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: May 13, 2017, 06:31:45 PM »

I'm pregnant with my first child. After finding out that my husband and I are having a boy, my first reaction was to call my mom to tell her the good news (my mom has BPD). She said, "that's good" and asked a few questions all in an unenthusiastic, monotone voice. She then proceeded to talk about the current problems in her life. I listened and empathized. Before I was was about to get off the phone with her, I told her I'd email her the ultrasound pictures and she responded by saying, "you never sent me the last ultrasound pictures. You've kind of pushed me o ut of your life". Both of these statements are untrue--she was the first person I sent my ultra sound pictures to (she eventually said she remembered getting the ultrasound pictures). At this point, I was in tears and told her I had to get off the phone because I was feeling emotional. She hung up on me.

She then proceeded to text me and say that she knew that my husband's friends and family thought poorly of her and were trying to pull me away from her (again, completely untrue).  She finished by saying that next time I should just share any big news with one of my friends. I understand that her reaction stemmed from her fear of abandonment and her own poor self image, but her reaction still really hurt. I was excited to share my big news with my mom and I expected her to be happy and excited with me--I guess this is a case of my own expectations letting me down. In retrospect, I should have expected her negative reaction, almost every other phone call or visit ends with her yelling at me for something she thinks I've done wrong.

I will be okay; my other loved ones had excellent reactions to the news and my husband has been a great support. But this is just one example of my mom's behavior. She has always overreacted with rage and crying over perceived or imagined slights (once even yelling at my dad in public for trying to hold her hand). Over the past decade she has villainized me and constantly accused me of thinking she's not good enough trying to push her out of my life. Certainly, if anybody else acted as she does, I would push them out of my life. But she's my mom, and despite her BPD, she does has some wonderful attributes about her and I love her.

So my questions are these: 1. How do you maintain a relationship with a parent with BPD without them dragging you down into despair with them? 2. How do you disengage from verbal abuse from a parent with BPD without making them feel more abandoned? 3. How do you know where to draw the boundaries--when is it okay to say "no, I'm not going to call my mom (or visit her) because I don't have the emotional energy"? I would appreciate any techniques you have that help you deal with parents with BPD.
gotbushels

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 10:53:57 AM »

Hi Reenie  

Welcome to the site and congratulations on your pregnancy!   Smiling (click to insert in post)

You can find support here.

I understand that's a tough phone conversation to be a party to.

She said, "that's good" and asked a few questions all in an unenthusiastic, monotone voice.
Sometimes pwBPDs aren't aware of the needs of others. Sometimes, when you present a pwBPD with good news, the happiness and enthusiasm isn't experienced by that person for some reason. They then are unable to discuss it as you would when presenting a "normal" person with great news.

She then proceeded to talk about the current problems in her life. I listened and empathized.
Sometimes on a call when person A is looking for support or to share an experience of good news, person B doesn't get it. If person B is a pwBPD, then they may be even more likely to focus on what they're used to--getting a listening ear to help them with their own problems.

1. How do you maintain a relationship with a parent with BPD without them dragging you down into despair with them? 2. How do you disengage from verbal abuse from a parent with BPD without making them feel more abandoned? 3. How do you know where to draw the boundaries--when is it okay to say "no, I'm not going to call my mom (or visit her) because I don't have the emotional energy"? I would appreciate any techniques you have that help you deal with parents with BPD.
I'd like to share a few ideas with you.

1. It's a complex and difficult thing to do, but I think it's possible and you're in a much better position than you think, because you're not the pwBPD. I think it's about getting the support of a T to help you along. I think it's about realising that it's okay to let the pwBPD swim on their own. I think it's about recognising that people can only drag you into despair if you let them.

It's not really clinical but I would like to share this quote with you:
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

2. I think you're going the right way, because it's thought that "The single greatest power adult children possess is their ability to get away." (link)

To disengage, you can go for setting a personal time limit for the call. Prepare this before the call. Recognise that pwBPDs face the abandonment issue chronically, and it's not your job to change them. I've seen that it helps people to understand that the pwBPD's issues preexisted the relationship--that is, her issues were around before you were born.

That all said, you can say something like "Hi mother, I've got to go because X. We'll talk later okay?" You can then enforce your want by using brief, informative, friendly, and firm statements.

E.g.
You: Mother, I've got to go because X is coming to fetch me.
pwBPDm: Why?
You: Because I've set the time with X.
pwBPDm: You're always too busy for me.
You: You're right, I'm busy right now, not always, so we can talk later ok?
pwBPDm: You are always pushing me away.
You: Yes, it can feel that way when a call ends, and this is simply the end of one phone call among many. I've really got to go, let's continue this conversation later.

From here you can choose to continue the conversation or hang up the phone. It sounds pretty tough, but I found that if you can maintain a sense of grace when you speak in these times--it helps a lot. Doing it BIFF is an easy way to do this when you can't find it in you to be completely nice in the moment.

Best case is she is content with that, and the conversation will end. Worst case is she hangs up on you. The good news is--given her past behaviour--you can expect that from her. The other good news is that's it's going to be up to you to exercise the self-discipline of this. Whether that's bad news to you is also up to you, but the point is that the power to choose lies within you.

I encourage you to practice a few times before the conversation.

I'm interested in what others have to say about your third question.

I hope you find peace.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest