Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 09:57:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips for BPD communication  (Read 430 times)
Circular

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: May 22, 2017, 10:49:31 AM »

Hi all,

Does anyone have tips (or point me a good resource) on how to better communicate with my SO (who may have BPD). Our "conversations" usually go like this:

* She tells me what I've done wrong, sometimes going down a list of 10 things.
* I finally have enough and respond/retaliate/defend/deny (all the things I've read I shouldnt do)
* I then interrupt and she then plays the victim. Then the new issue is I interrupt her and shes the victim
* Escalation/Arguing/Yelling/Stonewalling all then happen. After its "over" we start the cycle again days later.

My problem is if I just let her talk, never interrupt, I never get a chance to ever respond. Anything I say is interrupted, cut off, ignored, or redirected. When I make a comment that I would like to speak and am being interrupted, its met with "now you know how I feel". Then its right back to what I did wrong. Sometimes she'll say it multiple times, leave (by leaving I get no chance to speak), then she comes back and restates the same things gain. At any point i respond, or attempt to talk, i get accused of interrupting. She will then leave again, leaving me unable to address anything said. 
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Meili

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 12:46:41 PM »

That was a very familiar tail in my past.

A great deal (if not most) of what we talk about around here is how to better communicate with our pwBPD. There are some great links in the sidebar to the right that give you a basic place to start. The lesson entitled Communicate - Listen and Be Heard can help shed some more light on the subject. As stated in the lesson:

Excerpt
The idea behind all these tools is that a BPD has to have trust reinforced and fears of inadequancy soothed before they can listen or hear.  The non-BP validates that the feeling are real feelings (not that they justified).  The non-BP then shifts the discussion on what the real issue is and what can be done about it.

We also talk about the Karpman Drama Triangle and the role that we play in that. As you stated, she plays the victim which is one of the role in the Drama Triangle. How do you respond?
Circular

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 01:01:04 PM »

Thanks Melli.

Two comments.

WRT to the idea of trust reinforced and fears soothed, to what lengths should I go? Is submitting my cell phone for inspection every other day "right", when I feel like my privacy should be respected (even though theres nothing on my cell phone?) Because my SO will suggest that I should and by not doing so I am "admitting im doing something wrong"

Secondly, as to your question... .I would say I'm always looking to "fix" things, so when she takes the role of victim, I try to fix the situation or at least "prove" that I'm the one who is right.
Meili

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 01:59:56 PM »

You should only validate the valid and never validate the invalid. For instance, as with the example of the cell phone, I agree that privacy should be respected. If keeping your cell phone private is a boundary that you set for yourself, then you must maintain it. But, while you do that, you can help her soothe the underlying fears that cause her to want to inspect it in the first place. The fear is real and valid, that's what you are validating. The accusation that there is something suspicious on your cell is invalid and you don't want to validate that. Does that make sense?

This is where defining and maintaining healthy boundaries for yourself that protect your core beliefs comes into play. We all must establish boundaries in every relationship that we have. If we fail to do so, then the other person involved has the freedom to do whatever he/she wishes to us. We become a doormat and we will not be respected.

A lesson that I learned the hard way is that being right is subjective and requires agreement with point of view. The example of this that I typically give is an argument wherein one person claims the sky is blue. Well, from one perspective, that is a truth; but, from a different perspective it isn't true. One could easily argue that the sky has no color and what is seen as blue is merely light from the Sun being refracted by particles in the atmosphere. Both persons would be correct.

The same types of discussions happen with everyone. To pwBPD, their reality at any particular moment depends greatly on the emotion that he/she is feeling at that time. As a result, the reality that the non is experiencing is vastly different. If the non doesn't listen with empathy to what the pwBPD is saying, the two end up arguing about two completely different things and using different sets of "facts" to bolster their respective positions.

We recently did a poll on this board about the main mistakes that the non makes when trying to deal with their pwBPD and JADE'ing was the most common. We tend to believe that if we just explain our position, defend what we did, argue about why we did it, or justify what we've done that our pwBPD will magically change his/her mind and see things from our perspectives. In essence, we are asking them to ignore their intense emotions and see things our way (to be empathetic with us) because, after all, we are "right." We ignore their feelings and expect them to see things our way.

One of the most powerful questions that I was asked when dealing with my pwBPD was if I wanted to be right or happy? What that said to me was that I didn't need her to know I was right, I already knew that. What I was really seeking from her was validation of my feelings. That was more than she was able to give when she dysregulated and that was a part of her personality that I just had to learn to accept.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest