Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 04:20:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My recent 'ah-ha' moment  (Read 378 times)
Wutnow32

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« on: May 22, 2017, 01:02:14 PM »

At my most recent therapy session, we discussed the characteristics of someone with BPD. One of them is not being okay with not feeling ok. In other words, they can't handle feelings of discomfort. Then I realized, I am the type of person who always tries to make it so that people around me don't have to feel upset, I try to make it better and take away the discomfort. That is my codependent tendency.

She doesn't like feeling discomfort and I don't like people to feel discomfort. Well fan-damn-tastic! Don't we fit together like a codependent young and yang!
My homework is to try and get 'comfortable' with my wife's discomfort (which is often!) Not sure how well I'm doing.

We had a text argument where I guess I agreed with her when she said she's been feeling a certain way lately. I just said she was right, that I noticed too, but it guess that by agreeing with her I made her feel worse about herself. Ugh, so now I have to sit with her feeling pissed at me. My urge to try and resolve this conflict is tremendous. It's not much fun. But I can see the pattern now, so that's something.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Ythisroad

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 02:33:57 PM »

Wow Wutnow32!  This is so true of me as well    ugh.    I cannot stand the feeling of angst... .  Thanks a lot for making me aware of this (sarcasm)... .  I will try to work on being uncomfortable as well.  What a challenge! 
Press onward!
Wutnow32

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 06:36:17 PM »

Very welcome for bringing it to your attention Ythisroad! Challenges are always more 'fun' when you have someone else doing it too. As it turns out I did respond via text, once, just once! But that was it. Anger seems to have subsided and moved on now. Whew!
isilme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 11:15:59 AM »

This is a really big thing to realize and then work to implement.  I am very codependent, and so I find that I am distressed and sometimes angry with H when he gets upset... .for simply being upset.  I remind myself in my head he has a right to his emotions, and to express them, unless he is being abusive to me in the process. 

On the converse, a pwBPD often also has trouble accepting if their SO's emotional state does not match theirs - it can be invalidating for them to feel upset about XYZ, and for us to NOT be upset about XYZ. 

Shane87

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 05:19:56 PM »

Oh boy... .makes me wonder if I, too, have been codependent in this way.  Time to do some looking in the mirror.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest