Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 09:24:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to deal with lying  (Read 390 times)
SAAT

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: June 17, 2017, 06:38:30 AM »

I am looking for help with my DBPD 26yr old daughter. She was diagnosed about 4 years ago and has been in therapy and on medication since then. Some of her behaviours have improved, but she still seesaws between severe depression and relationship issues.

I have no idea how to deal with her lying. I know she lies a lot of the time, although she is very good at it and knows how to use lies to con me, normally so I will give her money (for a medical procedure/because she is stranded etc).  I travel a lot and she will text me with some drama that has just happened etc.

Should I confront her? should I tell her I don't trust her? I know I have to set some boundaries here but I am concerned about her thinking I am rejecting her. I did tell her today I would only pay for bills directly - not just transfer her money.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Lollypop

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 04:49:49 AM »

Hi there Saat

Remembering that boundaries are for you. They refer to the big stuff "you will not hit me" and are your morals and values.

I set a limit with my adult DS26. I never give him money. I'll be paying for his therapy that starts next week by direct transfer or cheque to the therapist,

I take everything he says with a pinch of salt. He's an excellent liar. Since I've stepped back and left his life to himself (and not giving him money) I find that I don't ask many questions.

LP

I did my best. He told me I wasn’t good enough. White
Rockieplace

Relationship status: Married (40 years this year)

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 11:34:29 AM »

Hi there,

I hear your fear of saying no!  I felt so like that a while back. After reading a lot of books on setting boundaries and the advice on here I plucked up the courage.  I didn't say sorry.  I didn't give reasons.  I just said no, love, we can't do that. I always followed the refusal with 'love you' and kisses if it was in text etc.    I then waited for the explosion of anger and hatred and it didn't come!  I can now say no without too much worry.  I hope this helps.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest