Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 10:15:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spouse looking for direction.  (Read 368 times)
colbalt27
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 21, 2017, 10:59:37 AM »

My spouse has PTSD from childhood abuse.  This has been diagnosed by several, very good, psychiatrists.  Lately my counselor, who has met my spouse a few times, is fairly sure that my spouse has BPD.  I am not sure why, but many years ago my spouse bought 'stop walking on eggshells' and I have recently read it.  I assume that it was to help my spouse with my mother in law, who has issues of her own.  So many things in the book hit home in our relationship.  After a long and severe illness, my spouse is physically better and has resumed treatment for PTSD.  The emotions that are coming out have us both thinking that some type of residential treatment program for PTSD is the best since I must work and my spouse is terrified alone.  I am nervous that some of the BPD traits of abandonment and rage will be a problem in this setting.  I am also nervous that having the program end will cause further fear and rejection.  And finally I am looking for guidance on programs that others have had success with.  I think that a typical inpatient 'psych ward' would be very harmful (the psychiatrist currently treating agrees but has never mentioned BPD).

Thanks All.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

isilme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 04:00:05 PM »

I'd have to suggest talking it over with the therapist you are currently taking to - they will know what is available in your region, and the track records for them. 

It took me a long time to realize my anxiety is actually a form of PTSD - I, like others, thought it was something only combat veterans could have.  Mine is mostly triggered by overly loud environments and crowds of people, where I can't hear specifically what's happening or keep track of where others are - I feel panic and I feel unsafe.  Strangely, I am usually fine alone, I think because as a kid that meant all the crazy (my parents) were gone and I was safe for a few hours.

Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 08:26:17 AM »

Welcome to the baords Welcome,

It sounds like you have a good support system in getting your husband help. The PTSD treatment center might help quite a bit, but until he goes, it will be difficult to know. I understand the fear and uncertainty that comes with that, but my question is what would it hurt if he goes?

If it doesn't help him, will it make things worse or will they be no different than they are now? What if it does help?

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest