Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 08:47:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: She's having an emotional affair that's gotten physical  (Read 375 times)
orcapreys

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 28, 2017, 03:06:58 AM »

I have a BPD (+depression/anxiety disorder) girlfriend, more of a wife really. I'm a very mild bipolar (manic heavy)/ADD combo but I have it pretty well managed with medication. We just celebrated our 8th anniversary, so to speak, and we have a 6 year old son. I love her with everything I have and am running out of ideas and ways to cope. It's going to be long so bear with me.

In general, her BPD manifests in "illness", depression, and major trust issues that lead to all or nothing thinking about us, parenting, and the occasional suicide attempt, I think we're at 5 at this point but they start to blend together after a while. She also fantasizes about moving, constantly. I live in a beautiful state-that she loves mostly-but she is constantly fantasizing about moving and saying how unquestionably terrible where we live is. It's escapism, it's centered around Hawaii. Everything there is perfect and if she could only just make it there she'd be perfectly happy. She's been 3 times and was on a college class trip for two of those times, once with me. We've had 2 breakups in the past one was her fault the other was mine, neither lasted that long.

Before I get into the reasons I'm posting I want to say why I'm trying to keep things together. She's an amazing mother; her mom has severe bipoloar/BPD (finally started getting treatment last year after I yelled at her), her dad had OCD with agoraphobia and hoarding. She basically raised herself and her parents and it shows. She's loving, supportive, stern, and she pushes our son to excel but at a pace he can manage. She's also incredibly sweet with me most of the time. She's supportive with me and has never said anything to discourage me career wise, my wins are hers and she celebrates the with me. There's a lot of history most of it is nasty and strewn with a lot of hard times but we held each other upright through all of it, no hate no blame, at least not after year 3. We talk our way through everything, at least until recently.

Last year she started a pretty intense 3 part DBT course. No breaks, absences, nothing for like 9 months straight. She knocked out the first two sections and started showing real progress with anger and anxiety, catastrophizing, etc but she never left the house and the depression wasn't really improving. We'd originally met playing video games in her brother's/my best friend's basement while in college and I thought getting her back into Halo (or something similar) might give her a little bit of a social life that wouldn't require a lot of effort. It did, and it worked great for a while. The problem started about 3 months after she started playing again. She met a guy through a friend I had made and introduced her to. At first she thought he was gay and very flirty but she liked playing with him. There is some background here that will make what I did make a little more sense. In the past she's had 2 "almost" emotional affairs where she's made male friends (she says she never gets along with women "too much drama"-she's of course the source) that she spent too much time with, flirted with, etc. Nothing every became physical, or romantic really, and she got a bit of an ego boost and would come home more loving and happy and in her words "take it out on" me. This new thing with a "gay" guy on Halo seemed even more harmless than those other times so I said it was fine and let it play out. Things slowly began to get out of hand around April.

She began talking to him on the phone and then a few weeks later having "sexy time" she assured me this was just flirting. I grew uncomfortable and let her know that it was time to tell this guy we were in a relationship and that the flirting needed to end. She refused and starting making me stop calling her "honey" or being romantic while she was on the phone or playing. This hadn't been a problem in the past and her little social circle knew we were together so I was confused. I later found out she had lied to them and told them we'd separated (or been separated) for a while and I was just her roommate. Things came to a head a few weeks ago. She quit her DBT course during the section she was most excited about "interpersonal relationships" and starting talking about going to visit her mother. Guess who lives on the way and there is a natural resting point where he lives. She tells me she's going to stop there and after some hard prodding she admits that he isn't gay anymore and dating girls exclusively and he doesn't know we dated at all after our son was born. I broke a little at that point. I had known most of this or suspected but I ended up giving her permission do do whatever she needed to with him-just use protection- and come home. She swore she wasn't going to do anything. She stopped at this guy's house on the way down. She stayed with her mom a week and came back. She was supposed to stop at this guy's house for one night but spent an entire week continuously extending the day when she'd leave. Finally, our anniversary weekend was coming up and I had taken extra time off so she comes home. We go camping, something we did constantly when we were first dating, very romantic for both of us, like as in first few dates romantic.

Things get graphic at this point so read at your own risk.

It took a lot of drinking and pushing but eventually she admitted that she'd let him eat her out and jacked him off. She was unimpressed with his size and sorry it hurt me but didn't really feel guilty. She said she had no interest in sex with him (or anyone other than me ever) or a relationship and I being also very drunk forgave her. We talked through it and agreed to allow for a semi-open relationship, so long as I was kept thoroughly informed and she never let anything become too serious (or dangerous). I want to be clear I was in no way ok with this but it was the price of keeping her. I thought given a little time she'd get this out of our system and we'd be able to move on.

Fast forward a month and she's made another trip down (nothing happened this time turns out but she said she was tempted) and I caught her a couple days ago masterbating and moaning with him on the phone. She came into our bedroom and tried to have sex with me after but due to an infection it was too painful (I believer her she's prone to it and on antibiotics for a standard BV infection).

She swears she just wants to help this guy get through a tough time in her life and in the process fill a void I apparently can't fill. She says I fill every other void in her life but this one intangible thing and she doesn't want to leave me. She keeps hinting that I'd be better off without her, that I'm too good a person for her, etc. I just want to scream that she should stop this behavior instead of blaming me for my pain because I'm not running. She doesn't want to tell him the truth until he's in love with her but he already is. I don't think she knows it yet but he just sent her a resume and a job posting in our city (he's in another neighboring state 4-500 miles away). So this is not "just" helping a guy get on his feet. He wants to move here to be with her. I'm sure as ___ never letting this guy near my son though. That kind of scar is what got my girlfriend into her BPD to begin with (her mom walked out on her dad when my girlfriend was a baby and her stepmom cheated on then left her dad for the guy she was sleeping with and married him. She kept in contact with my girlfriend until my son was 1 or 2).

He's a good guy, from all I can tell, and if it weren't for this issue we'd probably all be friends. I think he's lonely and a little desperate. As far as she's concerned, I don't know what to think at this point. I don't know if my girlfriend is trying to maneuver this into some kind of possible polyamorous thing where she gets to have both of us in some magical fantasy where we don't hate each other, or her, because of the dozens of lies she's had to spin to get things to this point; or if she genuinely believes she's just a fling to him (and him to her), or he's backup in case I leave her (I'm several years younger and her "councilor" just had the gaul to reinforce the idea that I might be the one with a wondering eye because I'm younger-keep in mind she's the one with BPD and I'm still with her through 2 major breakups, a bankruptcy, and not getting to know my sone had been born until her pastor showed me a picture). I want to just call this guy and talk man-to-man about what's going on, so he'll just end the thing himself quietly, and know not to explain we talked to her,  and we can all move on and be done with it. I know that's going to backfire though and she'll just bail and go live with him.

I just need some help on setting what boundaries I can about where she spends her time (the thing that's actually eating me inside, as shocking as it is I can stomach the other) and how to council this thing into the ground without it looking like that's what I'm doing. She's out of town again with a friend of her's (ours at this point) and her daughter making a it a grand total of 2 weeks in the last month and a half that she's spent with me and 1 with out son.

He's planing to fly out at the end of august and they're having another trip, this time around here. She jokingly suggested we try to find a way to make it work (with threesome undertones, blech! ) but somehow without telling him the truth. I'm almost open to it at this point. The awkward might force her to face facts and end things and maybe never start one of these up again but I'm, of course, worried it would backfire.  I love this woman and after all the stuff we've been through I know if I ask she'd be there, even if she left for 6 months with some other guy, but I don't want that stuff or that ghost haunting my son. Anyone got any ideas? Or hell can I just get an internet hug? Or an explanation as to how someone so loving and caring 95% of the time can let BPD control them so completely and make them do things they themselves hate?

1st post sorry it's so long but I've been holding this in for a while. I hope I'm following all the guidelines.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Meili

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 02:04:14 PM »

Welcome

That certainly is a lot to deal with and sure requires a lot of strength. I'm sorry for what you're going through but glad you have found a community where many of us have been through similar experiences, and we can learn from each other. From what you have said I think you belong here; you will fit in; your situation is like a lot of the other members. There are quite a few members here who have tried polygamous or open relationships. How best can we support you?

You mentioned setting boundaries. Have you decided what those are for you and how you are going to maintain them?

I would suggest that you continue to read the posts, read the articles contained on this web site, and some of the recommended books. Educate yourself as best you can about BPD. I know your life is difficult now, but knowledge will help you make the right decisions.

I also recommend that you keep posting; it's therapeutic.
schwing
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married to a non

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 05:55:30 PM »

Hi Orcapreys and Welcome

I'll try to communicate my understanding of this disorder and how it motivates our disordered loved ones. Hopefully some of this information will help you make the most appropriate decisions for you and your family.

Anyone got any ideas? Or hell can I just get an internet hug? Or an explanation as to how someone so loving and caring 95% of the time can let BPD control them so completely and make them do things they themselves hate?

I've dated women who I believe suffered from BPD.  I believe my mother also suffers from this disorder.  I'm pretty darn sure that the reason why I felt drawn towards BPD women in my dating years was because my mother has this disorder.

My understanding of this disorder is that for people with BPD (pwBPD) feelings of attachment, closeness, trust -- things that strengthen the bonds of relationships for non-disordered people -- these feelings are like kryptonite for pwBPD.  Specifically, it also makes them *imagine* that they will be abandoned, betrayed, or denigrated by the people they love or who love them.  And I know these are contradictory feelings, but as I see it, it best explains their contradictory behaviors.

She also fantasizes about moving, constantly. I live in a beautiful state-that she loves mostly-but she is constantly fantasizing about moving and saying how unquestionably terrible where we live is. It's escapism, it's centered around Hawaii. Everything there is perfect and if she could only just make it there she'd be perfectly happy. She's been 3 times and was on a college class trip for two of those times, once with me. We've had 2 breakups in the past one was her fault the other was mine, neither lasted that long.

As I see it, as a relationship solidifies, as *family* life cements, then also do the disordered feelings and behaviors of pwBPD accumulate.  The desire to run-away, start all over, or start somewhere new is a reaction to this escalation of their disordered feelings.

This is why in the beginning of these BPD relationships, their disordered feelings are much more manageable or even invisible to the non-disordered.  And perhaps this is why after being with her for so many years, she wants to start brand new, somewhere else.

She's loving, supportive, stern, and she pushes our son to excel but at a pace he can manage. She's also incredibly sweet with me most of the time. She's supportive with me and has never said anything to discourage me career wise, my wins are hers and she celebrates the with me. There's a lot of history most of it is nasty and strewn with a lot of hard times but we held each other upright through all of it, no hate no blame, at least not after year 3. We talk our way through everything, at least until recently.

I understand that there are times when she can be exceptionally well behaved and thoughtful.  But from the perspective of a child of a disordered parent, I must say that it makes a huge difference that a parent behaves consistently.  I don't expect BPD parents to behave consistently.  Your BPD loved one doesn't behave consistently towards you and you are not technically family (not legally married).  Your son is, however, her child -- that makes him more family (to her) than you.  And I would expect that that connection is far more likely to trigger her disordered behaviors when she is with her son *and you are not around.*

Children of disordered parents deal with different issues with higher stakes.  Consider looking up "covert incest" or "emotional incest."

The problem started about 3 months after she started playing again. She met a guy through a friend I had made and introduced her to. At first she thought he was gay and very flirty but she liked playing with him.

You see, as the primary relationship (you) starts to trigger her disordered feelings more and more, for no other reason than because you are starting to become more and more like her family, she will have the growing impulse to start anew and also to start a new relationship.  

You see, as she imagines, more and more, that you intend to abandoned/betray/denigrate her (and this is all in her imagination), she will be more compelled to avoid that imagined abandonment by being the one who abandons first, by running away from you first, by starting a new relationship (emotional or otherwise).

Just knowing that she could run away with someone else let's out some of the pressure of her imagined abandonment.  Until it creeps up again and then she will want more than just the "option" of leaving you.

Nothing every became physical, or romantic really, and she got a bit of an ego boost and would come home more loving and happy and in her words "take it out on" me. This new thing with a "gay" guy on Halo seemed even more harmless than those other times so I said it was fine and let it play out. Things slowly began to get out of hand around April.

Her motivation is not about ego boosting or trying to find a better way to be in a relationship with you... .it is exactly what it appears to be: her making motions towards looking for an exit.  And she will not (or chooses not to) articulate why she is motivated to do so.  Because there is no rational basis for her motivation.  It is purely disordered.

And maybe, she doesn't want to see herself as disordered.  Maybe she'd rather see herself as the victim and you as somehow the perpetrator.  Whatever this distorted perspective is, I am certain she is feeding this perspective to the other people.   Because she wants to believe this distorted thinking and their belief in her feeds this delusion.

We talked through it and agreed to allow for a semi-open relationship, so long as I was kept thoroughly informed and she never let anything become too serious (or dangerous). I want to be clear I was in no way ok with this but it was the price of keeping her. I thought given a little time she'd get this out of our system and we'd be able to move on.

She's not going to "get this out of [her] system."  She is going to reshape the system to fit her [disordered] needs.  And here is what it will look like:  She is going to be with someone who doesn't trigger her disordered feelings very much... .until it does (it always will -- it's just a matter of time).  At which point she will change partners.  Until that person triggers her disordered feelings. Etc. Etc.  And it will continue for as long as it will continue.

She swears she just wants to help this guy get through a tough time in her life and in the process fill a void I apparently can't fill. She says I fill every other void in her life but this one intangible thing and she doesn't want to leave me.

She is doing everything to suit herself regardless of the needs of the other people.  Sure, she might be able to be selfless towards people who are not very connected to her.  She might even be generous towards complete strangers.  But it is a completely different ballpark when it comes to family, close friends and loved ones.

She keeps hinting that I'd be better off without her, that I'm too good a person for her, etc. I just want to scream that she should stop this behavior instead of blaming me for my pain because I'm not running.

She says this because there is some truth to her words.  She cannot stop these behaviors because she is driven by her impulses.  You just don't understand her impulses.

From her perspective, you should be able to find someone else as easily and quickly as she does.  You can't.  Because you are not disordered.  You attach to people in a non-disordered way.  She attaches to (and detaches from) people in a disordered way.

That kind of scar is what got my girlfriend into her BPD to begin with (her mom walked out on her dad when my girlfriend was a baby and her stepmom cheated on then left her dad for the guy she was sleeping with and married him. She kept in contact with my girlfriend until my son was 1 or 2).

And this is why a lot of professions seem to think there might be a hereditary component to this disorder: because the children of the disordered seem to have a high incidence of having the same disorder.  The way I see it, is having a disordered fear of abandonment makes you much more likely to inflict abandonment on your loved ones.

I just need some help on setting what boundaries I can about where she spends her time (the thing that's actually eating me inside, as shocking as it is I can stomach the other) and how to council this thing into the ground without it looking like that's what I'm doing. She's out of town again with a friend of her's (ours at this point) and her daughter making a it a grand total of 2 weeks in the last month and a half that she's spent with me and 1 with out son.

What ever boundaries you set, they need to work for you (and your son).  And that also means there need to be consequences (to her) if/when she breaks these boundaries.  Otherwise the boundaries are just wishes.

You are in the right place.

Best wishes,

Schwing

orcapreys

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 11:15:34 PM »

Update.

We are now on a "break" Ross and Rachel style as she doesn't "find me attractive" anymore and that I was being controlling.  She doesn't want it to be over and wants "privacy" which means time for phone sex and other more benign activities which I'm honestly more worried about. She's convinced this guy's "fleeting" but she needs time to explore it. I said I need time too to reset my boundaries with her. I hate this. I'm giving her her space while trying to keep things normal for my son.

She was getting better about a year ago, going to free classes on mental health offered through the county. Then those stopped. Things didn't go so well, her depression came back and we had the latest suicide attempt, which i stopped, a few months later.

I don't know why I can still love her so completely still, or stranger still, trust her but I do. We've been through a separation before when she was pregnant but reconciled soon after my son was born. Things were tough for a while but they were good for about 5 years.

I'm tempted to reach out to this guy and tell him all that's going on and about the BPD and ask him man to man to leave my family alone and let it heal. He thinks we separated before they'd even met and he's honestly a descent guy. If I ask him not to tell her he might agree. She told him she hated breaking my heart, so he'd have an excuse. Anyone have some data as to what's best for my son? She's acting out the two betrayals her mom and stepmom perped on her dad, bailing to have sex with strange men when she was 2 and cheating then remarrying the guy from the affair, respectively.

At this point I want to protect my son from the damaging affects of her behavior but so long as she's been here and with him she's dome nothing but be a wonderful loving and supportive mother. I'm afraid if she leaves or we separate the cycle will start again. I want to save this for my own sake too even with the BPD she's been a wellspring of love and support.

Thanks for the support.
hotncold

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 03:07:59 PM »

Orcapreys,
I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. Many of us have been there and I know that when I first was in the "discard" phase with my BPDex I felt like I was sent into oblivion - completely lost and out of control. A feeling of emptiness I'd never experience before.

As far as your questions about what you can do for yourself and your child, I think Schwing has done a really excellent job of describing what is going on from the perspective of your BPD girlfriend. There is nothing you can do to stop her from being triggered and doing what she does to get relief from her feelings of getting too close to someone (which seems to be finding a stranger to validate her).

Identify the things that you can control: your behaviour, the behaviour that you will accept for yourself, and for your son. The behaviour that you will not accept for you and your son. Draw a circle and in the circle write down the things that you do value. Outside that circle write down the things that you can't accept for yourself or your son. Look at the result and match it with what is actually going on in your life, help it guide you in terms of putting down boundaries.

You mention approaching the other man. One scenario is it will get back to her and she would take it out on you and resent you even more. Another is that she will just find someone else - someone who is not a good guy - who you couldn't approach. You cannot be the one who will decide what she does. That is not in your control.

Many here speak of values and boundaries. You clearly value love and support. If your BPD girlfriend is no longer able to give this it may be a matter of accepting that, rather trying to get love and support from a source that is no longer able to give it. Perhaps like trying to squeeze water out of a dry towel. You can exert vast amounts of energy to get it - but it's just not there.

You are afraid of patterns repeating themselves. Children naturally gravitate towards healthy, loving adults. As a child of a parent with BPD I found a mother figure in a neighbour next door. I was only 7 but I found myself a safe space which protected me from some of the highs and lows that happened in my household. At that young age already I saw the vast difference between my mild mannered, sensitive, generous and friendly neighbour and my hot headed, lying, selfish, manipulative and childish mother. I could not fathom why my father had married my mother, and I would say that in the end it wasn't my mother's behaviour who probably most harmed me - I was able to see it for what it was - but my fathers, who accepted and normalized the disordered behaviour and dismissed loving kindness as something that had little value (he constantly dismissed my neighbours loving, sweet and kind husband as a lowlife whose career was laughable - he was an artist who in order to make a living took on sales jobs). Healthy love was denigrated, and emotional abuse was normalized. It has taken me years to recover what my seven year old self knew intuitively and kept seeking out validation for but never obtained: that my mothers actions were not acceptable and were not expressions of love.

If a child is exposed to healthy, unconditional love from adults it will help them go far. Even if one of their parents is disordered. If you want your child to have healthy attachment styles in relationships you need to hold up true examples of healthy love and relationships. Compromising your own values will teach your child it's ok to compromise values. Holding up healthy love and boundaries as examples will teach him the importance of boundaries in healthy relationships. You sound like a smart person who has a great deal of love to give and who is likely a really great parent. Keep posting. It will help you through this.

orcapreys

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 06:59:32 PM »

Thanks for the support. I think I need to keep reminding myself that I fed into this a lot too. I care about her, I know she cares about me too, she certainly says so-it's backhanded but... .I need to back away for a while and work on my own mistrust issues. I'll be lurking on the site but anyone with more suggestions I'll look at them and probably follow them.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest