Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 03:35:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stepfather who adores stepdaughter but needs to end relationship with mother  (Read 374 times)
john3000
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: August 15, 2017, 12:09:35 PM »

Hi everyone. I'm in a tough spot. I have been in a relationship with someone in the BPD spectrum for ten years now. The first five were brutal, and I stuck around to protect my partner's daughter. I love her deeply, once loved her mother deeply (I still feel love for her, but there's a lot of caretaker mentality happening in my mind), and feel a very real connection. Despite a lot of efforts, a lot of different strategies, it's simply not tenable. My own mental health is at stake. I want to be a part of their lives, especially her daughter, I have a good relationship with her biological, which is a big deal, but I cannot seem to find a way to get her to commit to real and lasting therapy. My SO is a smart person, very charming, but she is emotionally abusive to me. I feel she has an opportunity to change her life, to view the world differently, if she just accepts that she needs to work on this, but, again, easier said than done. It's heartbreaking to see someone so close to being able to manage their world. She as all of the tools she needs to improve her dark view of the world, and to shift the actions of others as something that is simply a result of individuals thinking differently than ehr, vs individuals who think differently ATTACKING her beliefs. There's a lot of defensiveness and paranoia.

Am I thinking the impossible? Is there a constructive way to guide her towards a scenario where therapy is an absolute must do? I'm terrified, she has threatened to hurt herself, and the responsibility of her going through with it is destroying me. I'm stuck.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 04:13:17 PM »

Hi john3000,

Welcome and hello  Smiling (click to insert in post)

It is a tough spot, and I'm glad you found the site. Maybe we can walk with you through some of this so you aren't doing this alone.

How old is your partner's daughter?

Has your partner been diagnosed BPD or received any treatment?

When she threatened to hurt herself, what happened?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. Trying to get a better handle on where things are.

Hang in there. These are tough relationships and like you say, mental health can take a deep hit. How do you take care of yourself? This is a pretty important part of being in a BPD relationship.

Breathe.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 10:10:26 PM »

How does your state view StepParent rights after separation or divorce?  Probably most say the relationship legally ends and so a lot would depends on what the mother is willing to do.  Do you think the Bio father would cooperate with you?  Problem is, that might be a bit dicey if you can't count on him to be on your side even when mother is on the rampage.

I don't know the age of your SD but there is risk that if SD continues in contact with you then her mother might make nasty obligations.  Think Children's Protective Services, police, etc.  So post-marriage contact probably should be kept to public scenarios, especially if mother can pressure her daughter to echo her allegations.  Better safe than sorry.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest