Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 07:02:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Never wrong and ungrateful  (Read 530 times)
Seenowayout

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: August 21, 2017, 12:43:20 PM »

Are these BPD symptoms?  To never admit you are wrong about anything?

Anytime I tried to offer my ex some criticism about something she would freak out.  Could never see how she was driving me away.

She did so many crazy things -- gave me a hard time every time I was with my children, ran away every time she thought I had abandoned her, scolded me for working an hour overtime, going for a run, etc etc etc.  If I told her it was wrong -- she wouldn't admit, or apologize -- it was usually "you deserve better, go get better" in a bitter angry tone.

Or all the good things I did for her, it was like just expected.  Never seemed really appreciative of anything. 
JaxDK

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 12:54:13 PM »

I recognize a lot of what you describe. The unapreciative part of her was a huge deal breaker for me. Getting me away from my hobbies was one of the boundaries I broke to keep the peace too. During fights I would get very upset she couldn't see all I did and had done for her and her 3 kids. It's like it was a given. I was a resource and nothing else

Everything is transient. Nothing stays the same.
IsThisThingOn
Formerly NewLifeNow

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 03:09:32 PM »

Hi Seenowayout,

A big thing I had to learn with my upwBPD is how to approach those same exact circumstances you mentioned. Before I elaborate on that... .have you read through any of the articles and lessons available for us partners here trying to understand our SO's? If not, I think you'd really find a lot of them enlightening and helpful in not only this situation but many others.

Elaborating on what I started to say... .Criticism is one of those things that PD or not most people have a hard time swallowing. Even constructive criticism sometimes tends to hit a nerve we weren't expecting it to hit. What I've learned by going through similar things such as you mentioned as well as from diving into learning more about BPD as a whole, sometimes, a lot of times, criticism is received by our SO's as negative in a "I'm bad" -- "I'm not good enough" -- "I cant do anything right!" kind of way.  This brings out a lot of emotions that, from my experiences, turn into anger and 'retreat'.  Like I've often read on here and other places:  Emotions/Feelings = Reality to our BPDs

Speaking on personal experiences: Before I took the time to stop and think about how I was going to position my "criticism" of things my GF was doing, I would blurt it out in a very straight forward way that I assumed she would take as constructive criticism we would come to a compromise on.  The problem was (and still sometimes is) that for her it would lead to feeling like she wasnt enough. That she'd done something to make me see her in a negative/bad light and she just cant handle that being the perfectionist that she is. I noticed this would lead to her overthinking so much that eventually it would somehow get her into a place where she was now convinced I would leave her because I didnt like when she did XYZ.

Cycle:
- I try to offer constructive criticism assuming we could find a solution where everyone would be happy
- She sees it as be criticizing her very being which leads to an overload of thoughts/feelings/emotions
- She starts expressing these thoughts/feelings/emotions which are for the most part misaligned with the situation and I JADE
- Full blown episode

... .and now we're both really unhappy.

I'm pretty new to these boards so please look for other advise from the vets on here but, I think the examples you provided look like a very excellent time for you to work in SET.  You can find lessons on SET on this website.  I'd give them a read.  I will tell ya this though... .I just started really trying to implement it. Takes a lot of practice and I'm still not always sure I'm doing it right. Baby steps!  Being cool (click to insert in post)

Any thoughts from others?
unsureuncertain

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 10:22:50 PM »

I always tried to sandwich criticism between positive statements. Sometimes that strategy worked, but not always.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest