Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 12, 2024, 01:23:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first girlfriend left me two weeks ago  (Read 514 times)
Sargeras

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: August 13, 2017, 01:57:35 AM »

My BPD ex, who was my first girlfriend, left me two weeks ago randomly, and she ended the relationship over a text. I'd rather be dragged through broken glass. It saddens me greatly to see things unravel as quickly as they have. It's as though our relationship never happened.

I met her two and a half years ago while when I was 18 and working at a store. I had been there for 3 months before she began working there and we met. I began to foster feelings for her after a few weeks. She was very smart, funny, honest, and kind.

I quickly learned after spending more time with her that she had seen many  a rough time during her life and carried this weight with her. She was 20 at the time, but since she was 15 she has had a series of very abusive boyfriends. She's been raped, beaten, etc. She came out of her worst relationship to date shortly after meeting me and beginning work at at the same place.

She had been living with this guy for about 3/4 year before she got herself out and began renting a room from a woman. As our contact increased, it became very apparent that she had grown attached to me. She contacted me constantly (nearly every day) to see if I wanted to hang out. Though reluctant, I never showed this. If I didn't want to hang out I just lied and said I was busy with a friend or some other excuse.  As much as I liked her, it seemed like a bit much and I felt almost suffocated. I still agreed to spend time with her the vast majority of the time she asked. I found it incredibly easy to talk to her.

In the beginning, it was obvious I was romantically interested in her. She was hesitant- telling me things like "you know I'm no good for you". She has a tumblr blog which she doesn't want me to check, but I saw her using it frequently. It sparked my curiosity. This blog is basically her playground in which she divulges a lot of her innermost/sensitive thoughts and feelings. There were a lot of posts that I knew were about me on it. "theres this boy I met who I know would walk to the ends of the earth for me but I wont love him" etc etc. Just a bunch of fuzzy ___ like that.

It was amazing getting together with her. Even before we were official and we were "friends", she spent some nights at my house and slept in my bed with me. The first night she fell asleep with me was while I held her hand and ran my fingers up and down her arm. The baggage she warned me of and carried with her became increasingly more evident. She seemed so broken and lost, it was like I found a wounded deer in the woods and was nursing it back to health.

I know who I am. I'm a loyal person. I stuck with her, and talked her through a lot of problems. She was having a very difficult time making ends meet with her rent and her limited income working at Staples. She was broke. I would talk to my parents about this, and eventually they came to me with the idea of her moving in with us and paying a fraction of what she was renting a room from this woman.

She had been renting a room from this woman for 3 months when I told her about my parents' proposition. She joyfully began to cry exclaiming "really? That's so nice". Needless to say, two weeks later she moved in with me. It was premature.

I was blinded by my desire to better her life. She wanted so much of my time. Our new-found close physical proximity to one another began to erode my tolerance, which in turn lead me listening skills and patience with her to deteriorate. We began to fight. She drove me mad some nights. I thought she was crazy. Things that were of little to no significance she found cause to argue over. Sometimes it felt as though fights sprung out of thin air. While the majority time we got along, these things wore me out. Eventually it was simply... .routine. We'd fight, make up, have sex, move on. Several days later, the same. As our relationship progressed the fights became increasingly more infrequent, things were getting better I thought.

However, after she had been living with me for 5-6months or so, I got into a great deal of legal trouble. Without going into detail, the police searched my house. I felt like my world was crashing down. I grew very depressed, and spent a lot of time on my computer playing videogames, and less time with her. After a several month long stretch of this, we began to drift away from one another.

Given her history of physical/sexual abuse coupled with our growing apart from one another, it was weeks and weeks between when we would have sex. It grew very frustrating for me. I felt like I was being neglected, but it felt wrong voicing my concerns to the extent I wanted to, because of her history with it.

After about 14 months of living with me, she moved in with her grandmother. While it would seem this was a good thing, it broke me up. I had grown accustomed to her presence, and ultimately, she was still my best friend. We were still dating about a month after she moved out, until we mutually agreed to break up. Over the course of the next few days, I regretted the breakup and contacted her. We began to spend time with one another once more, this time basically as friends with benefits. We were literally doing everything we were as a couple, just without the title.

I soon learned she had taken interest in another guy, and she began to see him with increasing frequency. I began to look at her blog behind her back and it was riddled with posts of her raving about this dude. She just seemed, smitten. She began to spend less time with me and more time partying with this guy. We agreed that if one of us were to enter into a relationship with somebody else or see somebody else in a sexual capacity, we'd give the other a heads up.

I grew suspicious that she was withholding some information, and eventually asked her if she had sex with this guy. She said yes. I was heartbroken. She didn't tell me, I had to ask her. Which basically lead me to believe she intended to keep me around as a spare tire in case things didn't work with this guy.

I began to see somebody else myself. However, I still had contact with her. I kind of got over the whole infidelity incident and carried on with being her friend. This did however insight some jealousy on her part when she saw calls from this new girl I had been seeing pop up on my phone. While things were not serious between myself and this new girl, the former grew increasingly insecure (just like I had a couple of weeks prior when she had been seeing this other guy). I eventually I told her I thought we should let 3 months pass, and i would contact her when the "slate was clean between us". She agreed, but contacted me 3 days later out of the blue and asked me to talk. We got back together and have been dating since (up until two weeks ago).

My legal troubles as I mentioned earlier caught back up to me, and I had to wear an ankle monitor beginning May 9th. We couldnt go out anymore, so she saw me during some week days and on the weekends spent the night. We spent A LOT of time on the couch just watching Jeopardy and some other stuff. I broke away from her to play videogames and occupy myself while she kept watching TV. This certainly took a toll on her. I felt horrible, both for her and myself. All she wanted was to spend time with me, and I was growing bored and ___ing around playing games most of the time she came over.

The month leading up to our breakup, things were good. We weren't fighting. We were very intimate and I tried to spend more time with her. She left for a cruise on July 24th.

When she came back, I shot her a text and asked her if she wanted to spend the night. She then proceeded to initiate the breakup, all over ___ing text. I took it well, and just told her if she didn't see a place for me in her future, I'm sure she had a good reason for it, and I said goodbye. She told me she was sorry and that she just wanted to live a different life than the one she has been. She told me she wanted to be friends. She told me to contact her if and when I felt I could.

Keep in mind, I'm wearing an ankle monitor and wont be done with it until early November (my birthday). I think this gave her a sense of security and allowed her to separate from me knowing I wouldnt be dating anyone else.

After 3 days of silence, I contacted her and asked if I could call. She said "I'd prefer not". I said okay, and that my only real question was whether she cheated on me during our relationship. She said no. I told her she still had things over at my house, and she said she would let me know when she could get them. I didn't like how she did not provide me with an explanation as to why she was breaking up with me and just dropped me on my head. The next day, I told her I'd have my mom drop her stuff off because "things had changed". She asked me what had changed and I didn't answer. 3 more days of silence passed, and I reached out to her again. I asked her if she wanted to come watch jeopardy with me, and she told me she was going through a weird time and that she wanted to wait a while before we hung out. I basically told her that there's no reason we should go our separate ways on bad terms, and that if she couldn't see me in person I thought it was best we ceased communication. She reluctantly agreed.

Once again, 3 days later I contacted her with a change of heart. I wanted to take responsibility for my portion of the blame in our relationship. I apologized for spending too much time on the computer. We had a really good talk. We were on the phone for a half hour. We joked around, and eventually she said that if we could remain friends, she would call me but she just "needed some time". I texted her the next day to talk about some stuff, which in hindsight was a mistake. She just told me she was busy and didn't get back to me.

She told me she "needed time", but from what I ahve learned by checking her blog, she is just in Disneyland with some of her friends. I also learned she dove into a relationship with someone else literally the day after she broke up with me, which i am inclined to believe is a rebound.

I don't want to suffocate her and keep talking to her, but I don't know when or if she will call me. My gut feelings tells me she will reach out to me. This is what she does. But this feels like I was just another cycle in her life. Like I was a blink in her life. I never and have not begged or pleaded with her to see me again. Nor have I asked her about her current affairs.

I am almost certain she will be back, I just want to leave things on a positive note like I did and not talk to her until she reaches out to me. It's been a day since I spoke with her, and I intend to not have contact with her until she reaches out to me.

I have no idea what to say to her when she does come back. I feel like I'm codependent. I want her back, I'm very lonely. I can't go out. I just want to convey to her that what she did was wrong, and completely ___ed. You don't do that to people. Just 8 weeks ago, she told me she wanted to move back in with me. She told me I was a point of solace in her life. And while almost her entire life things have been unstable, I provided her that stability which deep down, she loves and appreciates.

Is it realistic of me to assume she will be back if I don't talk to her from this point forward? When she does come back, how do I proceed? What should I say? I feel so helpless and pathetic for wanting her. This whole thing has been ___ed. I'm 99.99% certain she will be back no later than 3 months from now when my ankle monitor comes off, because then she will have to wonder what I am up to. She is susceptible to jealousy, and I think she takes comfort in the fact that she can go do whatever she wants knowing I am shackled to my house.

It's very hard coping with all of this, and I want to involve myself with people who know what I'm dealing with, hence the reason I write this. Will she be back in some capacity shortly when her rebound fizzles out? When she does come back, should I ignore her or talk to her?

Should I protect myself from someone like this?

Thank you in advance for reading this. I'm sorry it's so long. I just wanted to give a detailed account of where I stand with her.

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

JaxDK

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 06:34:35 AM »

It's never a good idea to get involved with a low functioning BPD, if that's what she really is. She already has you suffering immensely. You really have to ask yourself how far down that pit you want to be thrown. BPD's don't get better unless they receive therapeutic help and even then it's questionable how much of an effect it will have.

If i were you I would go no contact and try and get through this tough period which is a lot easier said than done. A lot of here would take our ex's back in a heartbeat if the right things were said. Save yourself or you may end up spending months,years sorting through the havoc this disorder can cause. Some even lose the will to live after such a relationship.

If you do decide to keep in contact with her, the first pitfall you may slip into is holding her accountable. This does not work with a BPD. Only validating how she feels (without agreeing with the actions). You should do yourself a favor of reading as much as you can about the disorder (if she even has that disorder)

Everything is transient. Nothing stays the same.
Sargeras

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 02:33:31 PM »

Thank you for your reply. That makes a lot of sense.

I really beat myself up over this. We've shared a lot of great memories together. I can't really imagine what compelled her to turn her back on me with no warning, in a heartbeat, after two and a half years together. I thought she cared for me more. I'm inclined to believe I'm the cause of this.

She definitely has BPD. She was diagnosed with it when she was 17. She cuts herself, has an eating disorder, sends the "I miss you" texts 5mins after we part for the night, etc.

It's difficult knowing she's with someone else, but I already feel better than I did two weeks ago. It angers me thinking about how she'll just 'get this out of her system' and then most likely come running back to me. Then what? We carry on for a few more months, and she does the same thing?

She's in love with love. I think she chases newness and excitement. The concept of that kind of stuff fizzling out doesn't even register with her I believe. She enters into these new things feeling a sense of enlightenment that she's hit some amazing milestone and her life is changing forever. My guess is 3-5 weeks will pass by with whoever shes with (kind of like last time) and she'll question herself and her decision making.

I want to maintain no contact, but I fear I'll have some compulsion to reach out to her after a week if I haven't heard from her, fearing she is actually moving on.
JaxDK

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 04:40:19 PM »

Thank you for your reply. That makes a lot of sense.

I really beat myself up over this. We've shared a lot of great memories together. I can't really imagine what compelled her to turn her back on me with no warning, in a heartbeat, after two and a half years together. I thought she cared for me more. I'm inclined to believe I'm the cause of this.

She definitely has BPD. She was diagnosed with it when she was 17. She cuts herself, has an eating disorder, sends the "I miss you" texts 5mins after we part for the night, etc.

It's difficult knowing she's with someone else, but I already feel better than I did two weeks ago. It angers me thinking about how she'll just 'get this out of her system' and then most likely come running back to me. Then what? We carry on for a few more months, and she does the same thing?

She's in love with love. I think she chases newness and excitement. The concept of that kind of stuff fizzling out doesn't even register with her I believe. She enters into these new things feeling a sense of enlightenment that she's hit some amazing milestone and her life is changing forever. My guess is 3-5 weeks will pass by with whoever shes with (kind of like last time) and she'll question herself and her decision making.

I want to maintain no contact, but I fear I'll have some compulsion to reach out to her after a week if I haven't heard from her, fearing she is actually moving on.

It's not something you could have prevented nor was it your fault. I've spent the last few weeks reading up on borderline behavior and there are many stories of them just up and leaving a relationship with no warning. They don't grieve a relationship like we do either. It's like a switch they can turn off. She may recycle you down the line but I can tell you this. Waiting for that to happen is self defeating. You will wait for a broken person who WILL repeat the pattern again

Everything is transient. Nothing stays the same.
pearlsw

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

"Be kind whenever possible, it is always possible"

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 06:32:48 AM »

Hey Sargeras,  I got the out of the blue "dumping" by an ex with BPD traits as well. He was very unstable. I really, really believed he loved me. He proposed to me a few times, said I was "the best woman he was ever with in every way", etc., etc. He even said, just days before he broke it off with me, that he would "never, ever break up with me." So, it was extremely hard. I did not take the stress of this very well. I was thoroughly devastated. It took me about 3 or 4 years later until I could say "I dodged a bullet" by not being in that relationship longer than the year or so I was in it. When we are in a relationship and don't see these "sudden deaths" coming... .it is just mentally too much. It is hard to get ahold of our heads and hearts and make sense of the incomprehensible. How could someone we thought loved us possibly do this to us?

My ex used to punch himself in the head and had a ton of self-loathing despite all the great things he had going on in life. I hate to speak ill of ex's so I couldn't find a way to criticize him or be angry at him. I was just desperately hurt. I hadn't done anything in particular to give him a reason so... .there wasn't anywhere/anyway to make sense of this. Luckily I moved away, met someone else, and with time moved on. If I had never found this board I would have thought I was the only one who had experienced such extreme things, so at least we have this! We are not alone!

If this is what you want, "I want to maintain no contact, but I fear I'll have some compulsion to reach out to her after a week if I haven't heard from her, fearing she is actually moving on." then work as hard as you can not to slip back is my advice. Give yourself something else to do, anything else to do, to avoid contact. I know it is hard. Get the answers you need here, do the processing of the emotions here. Take care.

Walk on a rainbow trail, walk on a trail of song, and all about you will be beauty. There is a way out of every dark mist, over a rainbow trail. - Navajo Song
Sargeras

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 12:48:34 PM »

Hi pearlsw, thank you for taking the time to write that.

It makes me feel better knowing that there are people out there who have gone through the same thing and overcome it.

It feels like I've hit a brick wall, but it's a day by day thing I guess. She still has some of her stuff at my house, so I had to communicate with her yesterday with respect to getting that back to her.

The conversation went very well, and she clearly still wants to be my friend (as she communicated to me during the breakup). I honestly don't know if I want to cross her out of my life completely, because I feel seeing her every so often has a positive impact for me. The way I think of it is if someone were to take my phone away suddenly. It would be very annoying getting used to not having one for a long time. But if I weaned myself off my phone, it wouldn't be such a big deal once I gave it up.

During our conversation, she suggested she come get her things this weekend and we watch some Jeopardy.

I don't really have an interest in talking about our relationship or past problems, I just miss my best friend. I just want to convey to her that I'm OKAY, and this didn't shut my life down. I want to convey to her I don't have any interest in asking about what she's up to, and that I'm just fine doing my own thing.

I don't hold any resentments against her, because I know this whole thing was impersonal and just... .the way she's wired. That's why I know I can still have healthy interactions with her.

If we never dated again, I'll be alright. Talking to people like you and JaxDK really helps out and calms me down. I feel like I see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Duplicity

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 07:39:54 AM »

I want to start off by saying that you sound like a good, responsible, solid, stable guy. Especially for your age. I can understand why your ex girlfriend took to you. I'm older than you, but as a high functioning BPD myself, I wanted to offer a few words of support. That being said, I think it's good that you are going on with your life without her. It's even better that she sees you doing this as well. We do not like needy men. We are needy, and seek partners/friends that do not have the traits we hate in ourselves. Even if you crave her intensely, play it cool and casual.

She sounds like a low functioning BPD based on what you said. She doesn't have stable housing, and appears to move quite a bit. You didn't mention if she still works with you or not.

Your ex reminds me so much of my much younger self. I can
relate to her being raped, beaten, as well as having struggled to get away from abusive exes. Ironically, my ex boyfriend wore an ankle monitor until recently. I must admit that I felt a sense of relief in knowing that if he abandoned me, that he wouldn't meet a quality woman like myself while he was wearing it. That ankle monitor represented the price he was willing to pay for loving me, and that he still didn't abandon me. I felt guilty and deeply loved at the same time.I gave him some of the best sex ever while he wore that thing.  I never wanted to see him in jail, going to court, etc and helped him financially with the court case. Atleast your ex didn't cause you a court case. BPD is a spectrum disorder though and all relationships are different.

You have a big decision to make, young man. You sound like you love this woman as more than a friend. Otherwise, you wouldnt care if she knows that you can live without her. Can you really just be her friend? A platonic friend. Please understand that this woman needs consistent love, attention, reassurance and affection... not to mention advice and coaching. It will confuse her if you do these things as a friend. There is a need for boundaries to be in place. Do not sleep with her unless you are "with"her and intend to be for the long haul. Even though she may suggest this is what she wants, when her toxic shame, self loathing and turmoil episodes kick in, she will feel used by you for sex. She will blame you. This will cause her more pain and depression. She is emotionally stunted, like a 3 year old. You have to make a decision she may not be able to make. Crazy, I know.

If you get back with her, are you prepared to carry the relationship emotionally? Be her advisor, her mentor, and main supporter? Can you handle her push/pull dynamics? Can you keep the relationship interesting? Will she work and pay bills consistently? Can she be faithful? How does she make YOU feel?  :)oes she really love you?  You seem like a really good guy. You can do so much better. She's young and has a lot to learn about herself, and so do you. I advise against a friendship because again, it will confuse her. BPDs struggle with boundaries and this represents instability, not the stability she deeply craves. You lived with her, slept with her, provided for her. How is a friendship possible? But BPD  women are addictive. If you must be a friend, cool. Dont always be available when she needs you. Let her live her life and that requires distance at times. And move on and live your life. Sorry for the lengthy response. I think the way she does, and wanted to offer some insight.
pearlsw

"Be kind whenever possible, it is always possible"

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 08:39:07 AM »

Hi Sargeras, Wow. Interesting response that I was not expecting here. May I ask, for the many posters I see here who seem to have the same question, but... .Do folks with BPD "really" love the people they are with? I almost feel a fool to ask that, I know they must, but... .Would you mind addressing that just a bit if you see this? (Especially for those of us who get suddenly dumped.)

(Just as a follow up to the many of us who say such things, "my first girlfriend, left me two weeks ago randomly, and she ended the relationship over a text. I'd rather be dragged through broken glass. It saddens me greatly to see things unravel as quickly as they have. It's as though our relationship never happened. "

Walk on a rainbow trail, walk on a trail of song, and all about you will be beauty. There is a way out of every dark mist, over a rainbow trail. - Navajo Song
Sargeras

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 05:32:27 PM »

Thank you, Duplicity. I really appreciate your words and your taking the time to write that out.

Having a perspective like yours is very valuable to me. I've done a lot of reading over the past few weeks. I thought I knew a lot about BPD, and as it turns out, I knew very little.

To be completely honest, I want to be with her. I know that isn't the "right thing to do", but I really am in love with her. And I'm certain she loves me. We have a lot of common interests, she's very easy to talk to, and I feel like we're on the same wave length. She makes me happy.

I still don't know what I want to do. As of lately, we've had some contact and ironically our post-breakup interactions have been very lighthearted and pleasant. I suspect her fling with this guy is getting old.

I would never consider getting back together with her unless there was counseling involved. We had a really good shrink who helped us out and had a lot of interesting things to say. We would leave our sessions feelings great about where we stood. For whatever reason, we just stopped seeing him.

Either way, it's going to take some time to think things over. Once again, thank you and I appreciate you.
Duplicity

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 11:51:36 PM »

I am sorry for the delayed response. Yes, BPD individuals really DO love the people they are with. We feel everything intensely- anger, sadness, especially love. We crave love more than Anything-- and we have NO problem giving all of our love to our loved ones.  With my former partners, I always showered them with plenty of hugs and kisses, attention and praise. I love to build my partner's up and put them on that pedestal. I still crave my ex-- his smell, his touch, the way he would look at me-- his essence. What me and him was real-- and I'm sure what you and your BPD partner shared was special to both of you. That feeling of being everything to someone is highly addictive for those who date/love BPDs. That is real, and cannot be faked, In my opinion.

When things are good for a while, our minds start to play tricks on us. We start to feel like this is too good to be true. Some of us feel unlovable and unworthy inside. We fear abandonment and betrayal, and maintain emotional distance for our own self preservation. Yet our desire and craving for love outweighs the fear of abandonment- and this is what causes the push/pull dynamic. We fear the intimacy that we crave and need to survive. A simple argument can trigger abandonment fears in us, real or imagined. Most of us do not and cannot trust ANYONE. Because we have been abandoned, betrayed and neglected for most of our lives. So if we abandon, it's usually out of fear-- we are literally trying to not die from heartbreak. The pain that abandonment and rejection causes will sometimes cause us to abandon relationships/friendships without warning. It's usually not to hurt you, but to protect us. I hope this helps with your question pearl.
Duplicity

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 06:22:54 PM »

Sargeras, I first want to say that again, BPD is a spectrum disorder. Nobody is more knowledgeable about this disorder than the other because everyone has had a different experience. The characteristics are similar but vary from person to person. You DO know about BPD, ok? Ok.

Second, she may not be the right thing to do in others opinions. But you love this woman. She makes you happy, and you both love each other. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.  As you both get older and mature more, things will get better. If she is aware of her issues, and is willing to work hard to improve herself, along with going to counseling, there are high hopes for you and this woman. Just keep in mind that she will always struggle with this disorder. Constant love and reassurance is key. Make sure she gives you the same in return-- promise each other that youll never abandon each other. Settle arguments quickly  and calmly (if possible) In the meantime, just enjoy each others company, as friends, and get back to more of the good times you shared together. Ill bet my life that she will come back to you in due time. We are BPD, but we are still women. It doesn't take much for us when it comes to a man that we love. I'm not a pro, but I sabotaged a relationship with a man that I wanted to marry at one point. This is advice that I wish someone had given me. Take care and good luck to you!

Schnurrbart

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 09:02:43 AM »

Hey there,

First of all, I want to thank everyone on this forum. It's helped me so much and has kept me from feeling isolated in my own situation. I think what's going on in this forum is truly special and I'd like to return the favour and help every now and then when I can.

This thread in particular has had me hooked because of all the different contributions. I see that there's a small gap of a few weeks between the last post and the one before that, but it was bumped yesterday, so I feel comfortable giving my two cents.

I am going through something very similar (aren't we all?), except I feel like we share a bit more than most, because my BPDex was also my first girlfriend and I am 20 years old myself as well. Without elaborating too much on my own personal situation, because this thread isn't about that, I just want to say that I am still in your position of wanting a future with my BPDex. I'm not sure how your plan has treated you these past couple of weeks, but what I've been doing sort of aligns with Duplicity's advice. Basically, I'd been trying to reel my ex back in by just showering her with love and exclaiming how much she means to me, how great we've had it, how we're perfect for each other (like she'd always said) and all that jive. It wasn't as much of a tactic as it was how I genuinely felt about it. It was all to no avail in the end. She is fixated on not wanting to be with me, or rather, not being able to be with me due to believing we have different lifegoals and ideals that do not allign. Of course she also doesn't believe she has mental illness anymore. Someone else on this forum coined a term: 'overspiritualization', which I feel is very applicable here. This might sound familiar, because you mentioned how your ex would talk about reinventing her self and finding new life callings over-night.

Either way, as much as I do not truly believe what she wants is realistic, feasible or even possible for her, I learned how to respect her desires regardless. From that point onward, I vowed not to be 'pushy' anymore and subsequently not contact her myself anymore. About 9 days after me telling her the door's always open for her, she contacted me again. It was a very practical conversation. Without going into too much detail, she deliberately tried to do something manipulative/teasing that others have also described facing in these contact situations with their exBPD partners. I did not react to that, kept my head cool and portrayed myself as stable, confident and 'over it'. I didn't ignore anything she said and addressed everything she brought up, without trying to carry on the conversation myself or falling back into the ''I still love you'' thing. Towards the end of it, she got a bit hostile but I felt like this was a projection mechanism at work and that I had done nothing to deserve hostility. The conversation was short already but died out after that because I did not feed it.

This is my advice to those going through the same thing. Whether you hope for a future or whether you want to be left alone, play it nice and cool. In the former situation, this will in many cases lead your ex partner to find renewed interest in you, as Duplicity explained. In the latter situation, I feel like it will help them. Whatever excuse they have for reaching out to you, they are reaching out to you because they want contact and ignoring it will only make it harder on them for irrational reasons embroided within the BPD spectrum. I don't want to try and create a glove that'll fit every hand here. Of course no contact at all can be better in some instances; of course every situation is different and of course there's not one solution to every problematic relationship. I have however found that giving them the world is not enough in this situation and only serves to create a bigger rift. You'll feel more taken for granted if you keep bringing up the possibility of getting back together. Love shouldn't be onesided. I think it's best to take things as they come (or won't come) at her pace. While doing so, don't try to play social games; not hers but also not the ones you might be tempted to try on her. Being straightforward, confident and stable, but also distant yet available in conversation will likely forge a bigger chance at getting her to want you back than constantly reminding her how you're available emotionally and as a lover. Even with BPD there's no reason you should always initiate and explore the possibilities of getting back together.

I hope this insight has been of use to anyone reading it. Good luck and put yourself first in these situations.
Sargeras

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 02:46:43 PM »

Thank you very much for your response, Schnurrbart.

Very thorough and spot on analysis. Good advice. It does sound eerily similar to Duplicity's. It's nice to know there is such an abundance of trustworthy people who are really open to leveling with me.

Schnurrbart

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 06:05:22 PM »

Thank you very much for your response, Schnurrbart.

Very thorough and spot on analysis. Good advice. It does sound eerily similar to Duplicity's. It's nice to know there is such an abundance of trustworthy people who are really open to leveling with me.

No problem man. I'm glad it has helped. How have things progressed for you these past couple of weeks since your previous post?

[/quote]
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest