Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 09:09:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adult child is trans and has BPD  (Read 733 times)
3joys
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: November 16, 2017, 07:19:15 PM »

Our 24 yo has been incredibly difficult since about 13yo. They came out as trans in 2016 and also went on medication for anxiety also became very verbally abusive toward family members who didn’t use correct pronouns etc.
Says they did everything we wanted, graduated from college and then refused to get a job. Basically threw their degree in the toilet.
Won’t get a decent job, yet wants us funding stuff for her... .cars, phone, insurance, etc. If we don’t, she cuts us off. Now has strong beliefs in anarchy and won’t abide by any rules. Won’t move back home but is always on the verge of homelessness. Has even fought with people in the transgender community at times.
Lies to us and keeps us away unless she needs money. We are tired of this.
She sees a psychiatrist but won’t let us talk to them because her life is “none of our business.”
Thoughts?
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
incadove

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 01:43:45 AM »

Hi 3joys - welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you are so intensely frustrated after providing support and putting up with verbal abuse for so long.

Its hard to improve a relationship when dealing with really negative behaviors and as a result feeling very negative emotions.  For me, detaching from things I can't control and trying to find a place where I feel in control of myself, lets me reduce my negative emotions.  I also use the Buddhist meditation to want good for myself and others - Buddhist teachings are actually one of the inspirations for DBT therapy. 

The idea of 'radical acceptance'  - accepting the current reality as fact, just accepting it, and then also wanting to change it, is another key part of DBT.  Reading and learning is a big part for me of being able to calm and find hope and peace.  Have you read the links here so far?  There are lists also of good books for deeper study, the more you learn then you can focus on sort of professional behavior and trying things to see what works, for me that helps me to focus on myself because that is the one thing I can control!

It may not help them, but we can help ourselves to deal with the situation differently to make it less painful for us as parents - and in the long term that may help the relationship.

Wishing the best for you
 Thought

QueerDread

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 05:39:20 PM »

Hi 3joys, sorry for your situation!

First, the advices of incadove are essential. We must help ourselves to deal with the situation differently to make it less painful for us, as we can't make people change!

Moreover, to be careful with the pronouns is a very important thing!
If it is a trans person 'male to female' we must use "she" and, if it is a trans person 'female to male' we must use "he". It is very important for trans people to be respected with yours identities (and I imagine it is even more important for a PDB trans person).  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

I hope can help you somehow!
Best regards!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest