Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 08:23:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A couple questions  (Read 368 times)
kelseyy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: November 21, 2017, 08:27:12 PM »

How do you get your needs met in your relationship? I have tried numerous times to talk to my husband about this. Basic needs like listening, encouragement, understanding... Usually he ends up saying things like "why don't you just leave me if you feel like that?" or it will somehow get all twisted up, confusing, and he starts to accuse me of saying or doing things I didn't do. I gave up trying to get these needs met and completely gave up trying to talk about it.

Does marriage counseling work well? We tried it for a few months previously. I am not sure if it was just the therapist we had but it honestly made everything worse. My husband did most of the talking (I should say complaining about me). It basically caused him to nitpick EVERYTHING I said, how I said it, when I said it, and everything I did (or did not do) and I didn't get anything out of it.

Last question. Any tips on how to have more self confidence in situations when your partner is... .not being logical. An example would be; tonight my husband asked me to not just put the recycling in the garage, but to put it in the garbage can. I said "of course, I can definitely get better at doing that. Do you think you could make it a point to take out the trash when it is full like we agreed upon?" he said I didn't talk enough about his issue he brought up before bringing up my own issue, then would not allow me to say anything to him until I more throughly addressed his issue.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

LeChuck

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 07:25:50 AM »

Hi Kelseyy,
Welcome to the family, there are lots of people here going through similar situations, so you should get some good advice.
The tools section is a must read, there are a lot of things WE can do to produce a better outcome in out interactions with our partners. (I didn't know any of it before I found bpdfamily, I was making everything worse.)

I'm going through similar thoughts about getting my needs met and starting to work out strategies for approaching the subject in the right manner.
Do you have friends/family you can turn to for support?
You might find counselling really useful as well, it gives you a space to be completely honest about everything and have someone who isn't emotionally invested help you make sense of it.

My experience of marriage counselling was also similar to yours, my BPDw spent the first months detailing everything that was wrong with me and the first week we talked about an issue I had, she said counselling wasn't working any more and she wasn't going back. A counsellor with a good knowledge of BPD would make the world of difference.

With your last question, I think working on yourself and making sure you're healthy and happy is important. loving and living someone with BPD can be hard work and sometimes we forget to take care of ourselves.
Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 09:03:05 AM »

Welcome Welcome,

I'm glad you found us. You've found a great place for support and help. I'd like to second LeChuck in checking out our lessons and workshops to help you begin understanding your relationship and how to stop making it worse.

Getting my needs met is something that I struggle with too, but it's getting better. The one thing that really seems to be helping me quite a bit is that I tell my H clearly what I need. I've learned that he will not pick up on my hints. So if I'm feeling down, I will just say something like "I'm feeling a little depressed. I love it when you want to help me when I'm like this, but right now I just need to talk about it." or if he is starting to get angry about something I'm saying, then I know that I need to validate him more first. pwBPD are so sensitive to rejection that before us nons can share something difficult with them we have to be sensitive to them first, letting them know that they are important to us, loved, accepted, etc.

Many people on this board have shared that marriage counseling did not work for them. My experience with MC was exactly like yours. It got really bad and I found that I was unable to share anything in the session as my H would take up all of the time, it became more about his abandonment issues, and he did not want to look at fixing things, only fixing me. We do have a post about Why Marriage Counseling So Often Fails

Excerpt
  I said "of course, I can definitely get better at doing that. Do you think you could make it a point to take out the trash when it is full like we agreed upon?" he said I didn't talk enough about his issue he brought up before bringing up my own issue, then would not allow me to say anything to him until I more thoroughly addressed his issue.

I always say that less is more. The less taking blame, accepting responsibility for things that aren't really issues, the less you need to fix him, the better. For example, tonight when he asked you to put the garbage in the trash can you followed up with 1) accepting/apologizing for something that really wasn't wrong by saying "you'll do better" 2) criticizing him for something he wasn't doing too.

What would have happened if you had just said, "Yeah, I'll do that" and left it at that? No need to say anything more. No need to apologize or accept blame. Just do it and move on. Wait to bring up the issue about him not taking out the trash for a later time.

My H will start to get nit picky at me over little stuff like this, and it never goes well when I try to point out something that he isn't doing correctly too. When he gets like this I realize that he is feeling out of control about something else, and this is usually how he tries to regain control. I just do as he asks and later try to talk to him about what is REALLY bothering him.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest